SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, currently have a 04 v70R which is AWESOME....but long story short I wont be covered for gas from my work soon, so I'd like to get something a little more fuel efficient, but I love the space of the wagon. I checked out a 2001 v70 today with 112k on it.

Issues:

Check engine light and "transmission service req" light on. Also, it sounded like some kind of air leak coming from below the steering wheel, as if the AC was blowing, but everything was off. When you applied the break, or when you gave it gas, the blowing air thinned out, but as soon as you let off gas / break, it came back. ( quite loud as well ) Car seemed to drive well, but idle'd kind of rough, and it 'clunked' pretty bad when putting it in reverse.

Other than that, small cosmetic issues but nothing that can't be buffed out. Dealer told me $3400 "as is".

Worth the risk? I'm thinking some plugs, coils, fuel filter, air filter and synthetic oil will help the idle, but that trans has me worried.

Thanks for the help.
Brian.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Don't even think about this one
Bad tranny: $4500
Bad brake booster: $800
and I'm sure thousands more in work needed plus you won't get all that much better fuel mileage
If you want mileage, do not buy a Volvo, ANY Volvo

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you want mileage, do not buy a Volvo, ANY Volvo
Exactly. Sadly, one of the big reasons why our next car will NOT be a volvo.

To the OP.. No, not worth the risk. If your v70R is trouble free, you'd be better off putting money in the gas tank versus dumping it into a troublesome '01. The mileage difference is not that big between the two.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Are you talking about replacing the R or adding a fuel efficient daily to the mix? Either way do the math on the payback, it's usually hardly worth it at all. On the other hand, if you want to keep your R nice and spread the mileage over two cars, that's an argument I can get behind, as I do that myself.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Unless you are doing most of the repairs yourself f I would stay away from the 2001 V70, $3400 buys a lot of gas. You might consider a V40 wagon with the 4 cylinder turbo if gas mileage is your primary concern.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! Think I'll pass. What I was thinking was if I buy a regular v70 and sell my R, I can put the different of $ towards gas with having the same amount of space.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
A REAL NICE 01 V40 near me for sale (cheap) with under 100K miles
I just haven't the time to go look at it. I will try soon

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Thanks guys! Think I'll pass. What I was thinking was if I buy a regular v70 and sell my R, I can put the different of $ towards gas with having the same amount of space.
My S60R gets around 25-28 MPG at freeway speeds depending on terrain/weather/speed. A V70R will be a tiny bit worse than this. Compare this to a V70 T5 which would get 27-31 MPG instead... not a huge difference.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yeah, unless you literally double your mileage, you save like $300 a year in gas. If I doubled the mileage in my car at the exact prices I pay right now, I'd save $1300 a year. Not worth buying a new car considering what I'd have to give up to get a car that makes that kind of mileage.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The best way to increase your mpgs is to add a 3rd pedal. The torque converter slips like a drunk on a freshly waxed ballroom floor. There's a reason lockup converters were invented- but they usually don't lock until highway speeds.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
If you can find one, a diesel passat or jetta is a pretty decent wagon for the price and you're looking at much closer to 30mpg.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Volvo need to be purchased on condition and do avoid the '01 - 02 models.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts