SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend backed into me in their driveway, not too hard, and put a dent in a rear quarter panel. They'd like to take care of it, so I got several estimates. But they're all pretty pricey at about $1500. I only paid about $2600 for my car about a year ago (2002 S80) so this seems a little steep. Interestingly enough there's someone on clist who is parting out their S80, same color and year. On a whim I asked what they'd want for a quarter panel, and they said they'd take $125. My question is this: how easy would it be to get the quarter panel out? I might be able to have the parting-out car towed to where someone could pull the panel off. Or, given the right tools, could I remove it myself? Or would the best route be to just bite the bullet with the $1500 bodywork?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
A friend backed into me in their driveway, not too hard, and put a dent in a rear quarter panel. They'd like to take care of it, so I got several estimates. But they're all pretty pricey at about $1500. I only paid about $2600 for my car about a year ago (2002 S80) so this seems a little steep. Interestingly enough there's someone on clist who is parting out their S80, same color and year. On a whim I asked what they'd want for a quarter panel, and they said they'd take $125. My question is this: how easy would it be to get the quarter panel out? I might be able to have the parting-out car towed to where someone could pull the panel off. Or, given the right tools, could I remove it myself? Or would the best route be to just bite the bullet with the $1500 bodywork?
Picture of the dent? Is it just a dent or is the paint all messed up to? PDR can remove large dents but if the paint or the quarter panel is creased to much then probably not. I had then remove a $800 dollar dent from the wifes mini van once and you would never have been able to tell. I would say my dent was the size of a basketball or just slightly larger.

You may just want to take the 1500 and get something else or if its drivable just keep driving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts