SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm hoping I can get some direction here.

If I had a set of early spindles which would normally use the 5x114 hub/discs, would it be possible to swap on the later 5x108 hubs?

I understand that the early style had the hub and disc as one piece, and the later style had a separate hub and disc.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Hi guys, I'm hoping I can get some direction here.

If I had a set of early spindles which would normally use the 5x114 hub/discs, would it be possible to swap on the later 5x108 hubs?

I understand that the early style had the hub and disc as one piece, and the later style had a separate hub and disc.
Welcome to Swedespeed, Opti.

I am confused - are you wanting to swap just front "spindles", rear drums for disks or rear diff swap from drum to disk brakes?

George Dill

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yes, there are photos in my 122 thread linked in my signature. The brake calipers also have a slightly different mounting plate. If you use the old calipers on the new brake discs, a shim will be required. Or at least it was on the parts I have. If you want to use the new calipers, you will need the caliper mounting plate, but it unbolts from the spindle too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone!

I'm building a Locost, using a Volvo 740 Redblock, 740 rear end, but struts have to be modified to work with a dual A-arm suspension, and it's really not the best method, so I wanted a spindle that I could make 5x108 with OEM parts.

Here is a 3D model of my build

and here is where I'm at right now.

I also have the rear axle, 5-speed trans, and just won an auction for the P1800 spindles.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I just measured them out on Saturday, it looks like the 1800 spindle and hub is significantly longer than the 240, so I think the bearings won't land in the right place. This also makes the 1800 rotor hat longer. However, if you want to use 240 vented brakes on the 1800 spindle, all you need is a new caliper mounting plate, which is a fairly easy block to make. From my preliminary measurements, the new block needs to move the caliper outwards about 3/4". If I decide to go that route myself, I'll document the block once I have it designed exactly right. All other dimensions are identical between the two. Hub pilot diameter, hat diameter, disc diameter, the calipers are 99% identical except obviously the 240s clear a thicker disc. I suppose I/we should google to see if there's already a writeup out there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know where I can pick up a pair of P1800 hubs? (late model 5x108) I haven't had luck finding any anywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts