SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so this has been progressively getting worse. The R will essentially let off the throttle while cruising near zero vacuum. Sometimes it's very aggressive and can drop from 5psi to -10 . Other times just minor like I caught on camera.

Car is catless, has ipd piping, new pcv system, new coils, new plugs, fuel filter, intake manifold gaskets, throttle gasket, and injector o-rings. This issue is new, it's been catless for a year without issue.

CEL is p0089 and p2188

Video---

https://youtu.be/FCOLydFGgPc

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I'd say TCV or fuel delivery... Both codes are for fuel system related things.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to mention fuel mileage has been awful as well. So too rich seems plausible
Always getting about 25mpg (combined for 2 tanks) for 10months now I get 19 combined(2 tanks) for last month

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Measure actual rail pressure. Not reported by vida nor other general tool

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Fuel pressure sensor.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I had the same kind of manifold pressure fluctuations before during cruise near 0 vacuum, it ended up being my air cleaner was getting dirty and clogged.

New air filter returned things back to normal, but my turbo was on its way out too so the added intake restriction may have just been aggravating other issues.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm betting the fuel pump is on its way out.

Had the same fluctuations when using cruise (No CEL) few months later I got the P0089 CEL.

Here is what I tried, keep in mind I tried what everyone else tried from least to most expensive.

-Air Filter - No Change, even cleaned the MAF
-Fuel Filter - No Change
-Fuel pressure sensor - No Change
-TCV - No Change
And finally a OEM fuel pump took care of the issues (Bad MPG, fluctuations on cruise and mine had a stumble once in awhile when starting)

My car is bone stock with 200k, get the Fuel readings on Vida, my guess is your Duty cycle is above 70%. Order the fuel pump from Tasca, best deal online. While you're in there make sure to get two green o-rings seals.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Before throwing parts and $$$ at your P codes, get a scan via VIDA/DICE so you can see the actual trouble codes that are being translated into the generic P codes.

Will give you a much better idea of what is going wrong, since it could be the regulator, pump or even a cheap FPS.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Again, measure rail pressure with a manometer. Idle pressure should be about 400kpa/4bar. During max load it goes up to 5.xbar.

When using vida to check and measure your fuel pressure it uses FPS to report. My FPS was bad, but it read 400kpa as intended. Actual pressure was 320kpa. I had slight stumble when cruising etc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts