SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow swedespeed members!

As the title states I am looking at purchasing a 2007 XC90 3.2 AWD with only 79,000 miles for my fiancee. The vehicle is very clean, well maintained, and a good price but I wanted to get your opinions on it. I have been reading through this website and others about potential issues that can come up XC90s and the 3.2 engine. The more I read the more I am possibly freaking myself out..

I love my S60 and she want's to get into a Volvo as well and the XC90 fits what we are looking for. With that said I know Volvo's require you to stay up on maintenance if you want them to last, which is our goal for this vehicle...but we don't have a super big budget for any unexpected car repairs. I started reading about the cost to replace some thing like the READ assembly on the engine. And the cost of a new rear differential if it fails...These repairs can cost thou$and$ of dollars...

Help me out, What are the big ticket items I should look out for or be concerned about? and how common are some of these problems?

Here is a list of items that have been replaced on the vehicle already by the current owners.
-DEM module replaced
-New Front, rear brakes and emergency brake hardware
-New Serpentine belt, tensioner and pulley
-RF ball joint and strut mount
-New pedal position sensor and Active On demand Sensors

Thank you for help!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Bought the same with 122k miles a year and a half ago and now at 155k miles and not a damn thing has gone wrong with it.

-- DavidV :D

Hello fellow swedespeed members!

As the title states I am looking at purchasing a 2007 XC90 3.2 AWD with only 79,000 miles for my fiancee. The vehicle is very clean, well maintained, and a good price but I wanted to get your opinions on it. I have been reading through this website and others about potential issues that can come up XC90s and the 3.2 engine. The more I read the more I am possibly freaking myself out..

I love my S60 and she want's to get into a Volvo as well and the XC90 fits what we are looking for. With that said I know Volvo's require you to stay up on maintenance if you want them to last, which is our goal for this vehicle...but we don't have a super big budget for any unexpected car repairs. I started reading about the cost to replace some thing like the READ assembly on the engine. And the cost of a new rear differential if it fails...These repairs can cost thou$and$ of dollars...

Help me out, What are the big ticket items I should look out for or be concerned about? and how common are some of these problems?

Here is a list of items that have been replaced on the vehicle already by the current owners.
-DEM module replaced
-New Front, rear brakes and emergency brake hardware
-New Serpentine belt, tensioner and pulley
-RF ball joint and strut mount
-New pedal position sensor and Active On demand Sensors

Thank you for help!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
bought mine with 60k on it less than three years ago and I am now at 167k. Had front axles, ac compressor and engine air box replaced under warranty within the first 10k, since the kinks worked out, it's been rock solid and I love it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, it's helping to calm the voices in my head :D. Most of those items I would classify as standard items that eventually wear out and need replacing.
Anyone else have anything they want to add as far as things they have had to replace on there XC90 3.2???

·
Registered
136 Posts
We've had out 2007 3.2 since 2009. Bought it with around 30k on it, and now it's at around 102k. I have a spreadsheet that lists everything done on it. So far, we've spent around $4200 in maintenance, repairs, and items like Sirius installation, tow bar and wiring, smog checks, alignments, etc. This price does not include any big ticket repairs, ironically. The dealership did the clock spring, front suspension, and a new axle prior to purchase. Most out of pocket was for tires and brakes. (XC90's go through brakes, especially front brakes)

We traded in a 2004 XC90 T6 for it, and every time I drive it I'm thankful it has been such a good SUV. The T6 transmission no doubt would have blown up. They all did. I've been happy with the power, comfort, 3rd row seats, etc. We plan to keep it as long as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well we are going through with the purchase of the vehicle, we are looking forward to putting the miles on her! If any thing happens hopefully it will fall into the realm of something I can fix, I know I plan on doing most of the maintenance myself.

Question, Volvo now has that pay once for parts and labor and you will be covered if that part ever fails again. Has anyone had experience with this new program? Anyone found something that wouldn't be covered by it?

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts