SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to a few articles I found last night, Volvo's global head of marketing and sales told journalists that Volvo is planning to launch the new XC90 in mid-2014. It is also possible that a new S60 and S80 may follow by the end of the year (2014), but since the egmCarTech post doesn't echo this it is somewhat uncertain what Mr. Speck really said. Would love to see more sources with the same or better info.

Sources: Automotive News: Europe (Subscription Required) via Motorauthority, egmCarTech
Reliability: Uncertain, but dropping a name gives this rumor a little weight.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I want to at least see a spy shot of the XC90. It amazes me that the XC90 is 10 years old. It shows that the XC90 is a good design to be making 800 sales a month in the U.S. but also shows the cost of transitioning ownership. I would believe that the XC90 was in the process of a redesign, and then decided to ditch some of the ideas until ownership was taken care of. Would you people say that's accurate?

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I remember correctly, the XC90 was on a 10-year plan and would have originally been replaced in MY2013, but it has been pushed back just in the past 6 months. This is presumably because expectations of the new model are very high and Volvo wanted to get it right and include technologies which were not developed in time for a 2012 release. This vehicle is going to represent everything Volvo will be over the next 10 years. It is, arguably, Volvo's new flagship.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I believe the P3 (i.e. the "original" next-gen) XC90 was cancelled due to weight and poor powertrain alternatives/economy. P3 is heavy enough for the XC60, XC90 with three rows on P3 probably rivaled a tank for weight and fuel economy. I also suspect those "artist impressions" that came out maybe a year ago included a gratuitious image of what the P3 XC90 was going to look like.

So, the XC90 SPA is really the 3rd gen. I think XC90 SPA has been due for MY2015 for a while now. Perhaps brought forward by 1-2 years when P3 was cancelled.

Perhaps one day Yannis will share photos of the P3 XC90 that never was... ??

·
Registered
415 Posts
I believe the P3 (i.e. the "original" next-gen) XC90 was cancelled due to weight and poor powertrain alternatives/economy. P3 is heavy enough for the XC60, XC90 with three rows on P3 probably rivaled a tank for weight and fuel economy. I also suspect those "artist impressions" that came out maybe a year ago included a gratuitious image of what the P3 XC90 was going to look like.

So, the XC90 SPA is really the 3rd gen. I think XC90 SPA has been due for MY2015 for a while now. Perhaps brought forward by 1-2 years when P3 was cancelled.

Perhaps one day Yannis will share photos of the P3 XC90 that never was... ??
Now that is an interesting thought! maybe there is a prototype deep in the labs of Volvo, the Volvo that never was.. oooooooooooooooooooo I like how Volvo casually skipped generation 2 and moved onto gen 3 with the timing of it all. I have huge respect for the designers of the first XC90

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My favorite part of that article:

"While previously there was talk of Ford selling off Volvo, the Swedish auto manufacturer is insisting that they still "have full support from Ford" in regards to their major projects, and that the Blue Oval is not attempting to cut down Volvo's development budget."

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
My favorite part of that article:

"While previously there was talk of Ford selling off Volvo, the Swedish auto manufacturer is insisting that they still "have full support from Ford" in regards to their major projects, and that the Blue Oval is not attempting to cut down Volvo's development budget."
And that's because that's a 4 year old article...:facepalm:

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it's addressing something that happened 4 years ago which was suggested by rfkuehn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts