SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 99 V70 R and it seems slow on the acceleration. Before i drove a 99 V70 GLT which had the low pressure turbo so coming from a stop the car was pretty quick off the line. With the R i find that i don't get going till i hit 2.5-3k revs. Is this normal for the R? i don't have the experience with turbos to say whether its normal or not. Thanks

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have never driven an R, but just like the T5, since it has a smaller displacement (2.3l vs 2.5l for the GLT), it does actually get off the line a bit slower, until the massive turbo kicks in. The LPT also has more power available at low revs. So a little sluggishness at the start would be normal. Of course if it seems exaggeratedly sluggish, something might be wrong. Hopefully a T5/R expert could give you more precise indications...

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
T5s are slower 0 to 35 or so.
That being said, there are a couple of things you can do to "tweak" low end accelleration a hair

·
Registered
808 Posts
Also keep in mind that the R has more weight and more power loss through the AWD system.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What ways are there to tweak the acceleration? I had a quick 0-60 sprint with a friend. He has a 03 GTI manual and compared to his car off the line my R was slower (auto transmission) but once the turbo kicked in we stayed equal distance apart. Does that sound about right for the acceleration for the R considering the AWD and weight?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yeah my R hits full boost about 3k in 1st gear. Anything under ~25 is no good, but after that is much better.

I wouldn't bother doing any pulls from a dig, the auto and AWD is impossible to get off the line, especially against a manual.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
You can tighten the wastegate rod about one turn.
Any tighter in a 99 and you will throw a check engine light
That will help 0 to 20, boost comes on quicker and will help get you going

1 - 7 of 7 Posts