SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GentleFolk,

I have found a 2006 R MT with about 150,000 mile local to me, asking $6,500 for it. Dealer maintained, one owner with full service records. Of course I'll pull a CarFax and have my favorite Volvo shop look over the caR, but can anyone point me to soft spots to look for when I go for my first visit?

What I can tell you is that at about 80K miles, the angle gear had some issues, and when it could not be disengaged from the transmission, Volvo paid for a new tranny and angle gear.

The owner will be providing the original 18" Pegs and two (yes, 2) sets of 17" wheels (one with summer rubber, one with winter).

Thanks for the assistance!

Landru
1996 850 GLT 132,000 Miles
1998 V70 GLT 145,00 Miles
2011 Ford Flex 15,000 Miles
2001 V70 T5M 282,000 Miles RIP "Gone, but not forgotten"

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Unless there is something seriously wrong, I would jump on it for that price! Especially with full service records.

Check:
suspension bushings & tire wear.
shocks.
inspect undercarriage while it is on a lift. Look at drivetrain for leaks. confirm angle gear and collar sleeve functioning: spin front wheel and the drive shaft (a.k.a. prop shaft) should spin.
brakes
evidence of crashes or body work.

With that many miles on an '06, I would suspect it is mostly highway miles. Slightly excessive stone chips on the front fascia and/or windshield would confirm.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would look at the service records. Did it have the timing belt changed? Coils? If either of these items have not be changed, it is time.

·
Banned
170 Posts
I agree with the comments above, and trust me, I've been kicking the tires of MANY R's over the past few months.

The biggest issue you'll face is that EVERYTHING on the car simply has a lot of usage on it already. Maintenance is one thing - you may have to put tires on it (though many dealerships put new tires on cars they they're trying to sell, as mine did) and obviously things like brakes, bushings, belts - things that wear could need replaced. But then there are those fancy "Volvo" parts that don't "wear" - they just "break." Like wheel speed sensors, headlight leveling motors, headlight ballasts, myriads of sensors and switches - things that at that age and that mileage, could be more likely to occur.

Other problem you'll have is that at that mileage, most aftermarket warranty companies simply won't sell you a warranty. So you're kinda going to be on your own...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts