SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While talking with a few of my friends who also enjoy tinkering with their cars, a 95' 850 and a 98' Jetta, they remarked that I would get better handling by lowering my car. This seems reasonable, since lowering the car would lower the center of gravity, and possibly even reduce wind resistance. What I want to know is if this will actually improve handling and if it is something I can do on my own as a weekend project or something. Im very much opposed to the idea of my car coming anywhere close to scraping the ground, and Im not sure if I want to lower it more than a couple of inches.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Possible lowering of my 940 wagon. (daytripper)

Ethan;<p>No problem lowering your Volvo.<p>You may wish to imagine up a description your final Volvo product as lowering is not usually the first item on one's list of upgrades/improvements.<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: Possible lowering of my 940 wagon. (daytripper)

For handling, before lowering it, I would look into tires/wheels, swaybars, and shocks, in that order. I might even through in alignment modifications before lowering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, money is rather limited, but I have plans to purchase an ipd sport exhaust along with some of their anti-sway bars.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: (daytripper)

Your 945 wagon is age 13 and rolling so expect to find worn/deteriorated suspension bushings when installing the ipd bars. Installation of the ipd exhaust may bring out the need for a new cat and/or Ox sensor.<p>Consider holding off on the bars until you can stockpile up a horde of new parts to install all at one lift.<p>Try to avoid cutting/heating the existing coil springs.<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the cat and oxygen sensor were replaced like a year and a half ago, so I dont really think theyll have to be replaced anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: (daytripper)

OK, let's do it.<p>ipd: bars, shocks, bushes (plastic).<p>Other supplier: lowering springs (4), strut/chassis braces.<p>Tire Rack: wheels/tires.<p>NOW your Volvo 940 "hatchback" (wagon) will out-handle the VW's and BMW's at the autocross!<p>George Dill<p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts