SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow members,
I'm looking for some assistance with some noise I'm getting from my front end. I'm trying to figure out if it's tire tread or bearing related.

I know our cars are hard on tires and I do have some cupping. I've moved the noisy ones to the rear and thought I had left the quiet ones up front. I've booked an appointment with the local tire store to have a look at the tires for tomorrow for cupping and a possible tire belt issue.

Over the past few days I've also noticed that the car is making a lot of travel noise at certain speeds. Around 50-60kph the car sounds like a truck with big nubby tires. I've also notice that when getting on an on-ramp and turning right the car make even more noise, which is why I am thinking possible bearings. It only happens turning right, not left.

Have any of you experienced this kind of noice and/or bearing issues? If so, how easy/hard is it to have the front bearings replaced? I'm really hoping it's not like my Toyota Handlander where I had to buy an entire hub assembly (for $550) to replace a $30 bearing. Can you just buy bearings and replace them without having to buy half a car?

Thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Front bearings are push-in style and require a press. I have had both fronts done, one under warranty, one not. My sister had one done not under warranty as well. Both of ours cost $350 each (these were done at the dealer, btw).

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I've also notice that when getting on an on-ramp and turning right the car make even more noise, which is why I am thinking possible bearings. It only happens turning right, not left.
You are correct, the left wheel bearing is out.
Tires are best checked just by running your hands over them. A belt problem will normally show as a low area running diagonally from one side to the other.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front bearings are push-in style and require a press. I have had both fronts done, one under warranty, one not. My sister had one done not under warranty as well. Both of ours cost $350 each (these were done at the dealer, btw).
Thanks, nice to know they can be pressed rather than buying a whole front end.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct, the left wheel bearing is out.
That's what I was thinking as well. Will have it checked.

Tires are best checked just by running your hands over them. A belt problem will normally show as a low area running diagonally from one side to the other.
There is some cupping. Not much, but some. I've noticed a slow speed wobble from the front, which I suspect is a belt issue, which is why she's going into the tire shop tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get it aligned after the bearing change. The whole knuckle has to come off to press the bearing out/in.
Good idea. Thanks.

Does anyone have some part numbers for the front bearings?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
rockauto is cheapest place found for these.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts