SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have working quite hard to care for and maintain my '04 XC90 T6, but there always seem to be some little annoyance that is just flat out irritating. My latest is the "message center" that gives me warnings that I'm not even sure are legit. First, it was after I made a u-turn during a rainstorm and I got 2 messages that said something to the effect of "Anti-Skid Service Urgent" and "Brake Assist Urgent" this also included the ABS light coming on. Shortly afterward, those messages and the light disappeared. Now the other day, I get a message saying "SRS-Airbag Service Urgent" but the airbag light comes on with the ignition and immediately goes off. This message has so far not gone away. I'm not quite sure what is causing the "ghosts in the machine", but it's getting quite annoying. I would take it to my local Volvo dealer, but I really can't afford it right now just to reset it, if that is in fact the issue, or tell me it is something worse. Like I said, I don't even know if these messages are accurate or not. Any thoughts about what I do here? I know that according to the CarFax, there has been some modules replaced over the years, and know water damage. I just want to find out if this is something serious or just me chasing a ghost.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You will need a code reader to clear the airbag light. The other messages reset when the car does a self check at startup.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,297 Posts
Depending on your mileage, it could be normal wear and tear. The Anti-Skid with the Brake Assist tends to lean to the brake pedal position sensor. This is a common known failure with age. It will come and go because the sensor may still be working, but there are areas of position worn out which can confuse the computer. I drove an XC90 where the brakes lost all assist and backing into a garage on idle, I had to double pump the brakes to stop. Scary as I didn't want to go through the wall. This is why the message says "Urgent." The sensor replacement is common enough where FCP made a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTeH-H5VAYA Video showing FCP changing the pedal position sensor.

Only thing I warn is to make sure the replacement sensor is seated tight into the brake booster as it may seem seated, but the new o-ring needs a really tight seal. Check by trying to pull it out. If it removes, push it back in with more force, just don't break the brake booster. In contrast to the video, I found that it is easier to seat the snap ring first. Then push the new sensor in and the lock tab has an angle so the snap ring will slide around it and then lock into place. I ended up using the old snap ring because the replacement snap ring was weaker.

I haven't had to deal with an intermittent Air Bag light, so can't help ya there. Reading the codes would help with that one and confirm the brake pedal position sensor. However, if you haven't changed the pedal position sensor, due to the safety factor, I would suggest to just change it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
About 2 months back I reversed the car with my parking brake partially engaged and I got the Anti Skid message. I disengaged the parking brake and later when I started the car the message was gone.

I have working quite hard to care for and maintain my '04 XC90 T6, but there always seem to be some little annoyance that is just flat out irritating. My latest is the "message center" that gives me warnings that I'm not even sure are legit. First, it was after I made a u-turn during a rainstorm and I got 2 messages that said something to the effect of "Anti-Skid Service Urgent" and "Brake Assist Urgent" this also included the ABS light coming on. Shortly afterward, those messages and the light disappeared. Now the other day, I get a message saying "SRS-Airbag Service Urgent" but the airbag light comes on with the ignition and immediately goes off. This message has so far not gone away. I'm not quite sure what is causing the "ghosts in the machine", but it's getting quite annoying. I would take it to my local Volvo dealer, but I really can't afford it right now just to reset it, if that is in fact the issue, or tell me it is something worse. Like I said, I don't even know if these messages are accurate or not. Any thoughts about what I do here? I know that according to the CarFax, there has been some modules replaced over the years, and know water damage. I just want to find out if this is something serious or just me chasing a ghost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
***UPDATE***

So we got a pretty good rain again yesterday and while I was driving the Anti-Skid and Brake Assist warnings came on again, as well as the ABS light. It stayed on until I got home. This morning, the ABS light was on and it said "Anti-Skid Temporarily Off". As soon as I started driving a moment, the message went away and the light went out. My question then is there some module, perhaps under the hood, that is getting wet possibly that may cause this. I would imagine that if there was something truly wrong, that it would be on a lot more frequently. I am concerned about this, because winter is coming and we can get some pretty bad weather here and I don't need the brakes or the AWD to fail during a snow or ice storm. Any further thoughts on this? I was considering taking it to Volvo, but they want 100 bucks just to scan the computer and reset if needed!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Very likely just the clockspring going bad in behind the steering wheel.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,297 Posts
Anti-skid PLUS the ABS light might or might not be the clockspring steering angle sensor. The ABS is a real code and can cause the Anti-skid to light up.

Not sure why the thought of a costly bad module comes to mind for the brakes instead of the known wear/failure of the brake pedal position sensor.

Don't guess here. Go get the the codes read for $100. If you are NOT planning to figure out VIDA and purchase a DICE unit, then go get the Volvo codes. There really isn't more "hypothetical" reasoning that should be done when you are talking about safety, or throwing money at a steering angle sensor if it isn't the real problem. Just an FYI, it might not be either of these problems. When it rained, was the passenger carpet under the floor mats wet? You sure all ABS sensor connections are clean and dry? I could ask a dozen more questions. Get the codes read.

Do the math if you just threw parts at it:
$100 for a precise diagnosis
$325 for a steering angle sensor (w/DSTC)
$92 for a brake pedal position sensor (Ate)
$713 for an ABS control module

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
There are too many faults that can trigger what you're getting. In addition to the ones mentioned above, mine was worn brushes on the ABS brake motor, "Pump motor supply voltage Faulty signal". Not mentioned above is the yaw sensor under the passenger seat damaged by flooding from the sunroof drains being plugged. Basically, you can fire the parts cannon at it, or get a proper VIDA fault read-out. There's a thread, here somewhere, that attempts to link up forum members with others that have VIDA.
So, that's why you fill out the profile thingy on here, so that some nice forum member in your town can volunteer to do a reading for you! Some of us like to practice on stranger's cars.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Along with what every one else has said, if I were to speculate, I'd say it's more likely the ABS issue is causing the anti-skid problem than vice-versa.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts