SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 850R 203K, Rebuilt head, brand new PCV. My PCV had maybe 5k on it, it started leaking oil somewhere on the passengers side of the engine. Had my buddies shop check the crankcase pressure, it was positive, which made zero sense. I replaced the PCV last night anyway and it's still positive, via glove test. I have no idea what it is, I look and see oil on the bottom of the timing cover and all around to the back of the oil pan. It looks like its leaking just above the oil pan, and its getting everything coated in oil. I took the timing cover off and didn't see oil on my pulleys or anything so I have no idea what it could be. Taking ideas, if anyone has had similar issues. :mad:

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
I ran into a similar issue, I was working for my cousin, and a Volvo came in with oil leaking from behind the engine where the engine and trany meet. I dropped the trany and replaced the rear main seal. only to have the car come back with the same issue. I dropped the trany again and replaced the rear main seal again. A faulty PCV was the cause of the rear main seal blowing out of place and causing the oil leak. I would replace the PCV again and check the hoses where it connects to the PCV and confirm they are not clogged.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran into a similar issue, I was working for my cousin, and a Volvo came in with oil leaking from behind the engine where the engine and trany meet. I dropped the trany and replaced the rear main seal. only to have the car come back with the same issue. I dropped the trany again and replaced the rear main seal again. A faulty PCV was the cause of the rear main seal blowing out of place and causing the oil leak. I would replace the PCV again and check the hoses where it connects to the PCV and confirm they are not clogged.
I went through the PCV that was on there originally. It was all clear and free flowing, so I dont think another PCV will work.

This was discussed not too long ago

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?234998-Dipstick-still-smoking-after-new-pcv

How many miles? Have you done a recent compression test? May be so much blow-by the PCV system is overwhelmed.
Yea I'm going to do a compression test this weekend. The bottom end has 203k so I wouldn't be surprised if its blow by. At this point I've already located another Volvo for my winter driver to go buy (98 V70R). I guess if it's blow by I get forged rods and pistons for some boost!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did a compression test and I got 156, 155, 160, 155, 156. Next I am going to pull the oil pan and check the oil pump too. Not sure what is wrong, I'm guessing something may be clogged or something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you may want to check/replace the ptc valve on the turbo intake tube. I have a 1996 855R that had a similar situation as yours. I was told everything from it had a cracked head, to a blown head gasket to a worn out engine. I went to a local bone yard, paid two or three dollars for the part, and replaced it. Fixed. Gave it the glove test and it almost sucked the glove inside the engine.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had a leak in one of the rad oil cooler hoses, just where the hose is crimped over metal. Very hard to spot.
Oil all over the lower part of engine/pan/rmm. It gets blown all over under speed. Worth a check anyway.

Agree with the possible plugged PTC on the accordian hose from filter to turbo.
FCP sell the hose cheap, do not got the route of swapping just the PTC. Brittle plastic will brake and you end up buyng the accordian hose anyway..
The PTS is an integral part of the hose and it comes as one unit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When you did the PCV oil trap did you remember to check and unblock the 2 engine ports into the block below the inlet manifold, especially the bottom one?
If one or both of those are blocked it will all have been in vain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts