1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The S60 is a nice car, although their comments echoed many of my gripes with this car too:

Some bad...

One option we did not choose was the temporary spare tire ($225), and associate web editor Evan McCausland was very sorry we didn't. He hit a pothole, prompting the warning message: "tire needs air now!" A gash in the sidewall rendered the tire completely flat and beyond saving by the tire-inflator kit in the trunk, thus prompting a flatbed ride to the nearest dealership, which had already closed for the night.
that's not to say there were no frustrations. The most often -- and repeatedly -- mentioned had to do with the electronics. Volvo goes its own way when it comes to navigation/audio system logic and operation, and that means a steep learning curve. "Holy driver distractions, Batman!" exclaimed associate web editor Donny Nordlicht. "The infotainment system draws too much attention away from the road and to the screen. The more time I spend with it, and the more I learn it, the more distracting I find it to be. It's the antithesis of what I would expect from a Volvo." Nordlicht's complaints were echoed by several members of the staff, most of whom had issues with the stereo -- strange menu logic, odd controls, and slow-acting graphics -- more so than with the navigation system. Some ultimately were successful at learning its intricacies, however, such as its "song saver" function that records information for a song that's playing that you like, but simplification is certainly in order.
Volvo's floating center stack is present, although the open space behind it is too difficult to access to be useful stowage; in fact, the one quibble we had was the dearth of handy cubbies for storing odds and ends
As much as we liked the surroundings, we would have welcomed a bit more stretch-out space in which to comfortably enjoy them
Having a bit more space for luggage and people would be particularly welcome

Some good....

Over 28,668 miles, our Volvo suffered nary a mechanical failure (a door bolt worked itself loose, but we tightened it ourselves). Nor did it require any unscheduled service visits, and scheduled service is gratis for the first 60,000 miles.
The interior is the pinnacle of clean, luxurious, Swedish design" enthused Nordlicht. Indeed, the materials are of uniformly high quality and the details are neat.
No one could muster a discouraging word, however, about the excellent seats. Volvo characterizes them as sport seats, but senior editor Eric Tingwall respectfully disagreed: "Instead of deep, restrictive buckets, these seats are as comfortable as an old leather sofa," he said. "They're not particularly supportive for high-speed cornering, but they're divine for commuting and long trips, and in a car like the S60 that's what matters." We were also smitten with the leather upholstery, which prompted a paean from editor-in-chief Jean Jennings, who described it as "ruggedly spectacular, with a hefty pebbled grain. Every seam is double-stitched, making it look like fine luggage, or a saddle, or something really crafted and not just decorated."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts