Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My car is an XC70 2005 AWD
Since six months I get the following errors in VIDA:

REM-8F10 - Signal too high
REM-8F13 - Calibration fault

This morning, I found some time and decided to take a look at the position sensors.

I located the one on the driver side, however there is no sensor at all on the passenger side and, no bracket and connector either :confused:
I can see the two holes where the bracket should be.

I checked Vida but I get a position sensor on both sides, P/N 30782822

This is a mystery to me as to my knowledge, there should be two sensors.
In addition, I never got those errors before.

I tried to locate the connector, I cannot find it.

Does anybody know if the 05 had only one?? I also own an 06 and I can see two.

Thank you!
Alex

·
Registered
649 Posts
What is not working?
What system does the position sensor connect to?

Are you talking about a parking sensor in the bumper?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi,

Position sensor for xenon lamp P/N 30782822 and it is checked by the REM
Calibration is not working.

I think indeed there is only 1 sensor on my car because has no Four-C, the '06 has got the Four-C which could explain why it has two sensors.

So, it is either the wiring or the sensor.

Before replacing the sensor, would you help me to verify if there is a short circuit? It that would be the case, I guess a fuse would blow, but I do not know which fuse is protecting that sensor.
Also I do not know which pins to use, it is a female connector, there are 6 pins.
I do have a multimeter.

Thank you

Alex

·
Registered
649 Posts
Position sensor for xenon lamp P/N 30782822 and it is checked by the REM
Calibration is not working.

I think indeed there is only 1 sensor on my car because has no Four-C, the '06 has got the Four-C which could explain why it has two sensors.

So, it is either the wiring or the sensor.

Before replacing the sensor, would you help me to verify if there is a short circuit? It that would be the case, I guess a fuse would blow, but I do not know which fuse is protecting that sensor.
Also I do not know which pins to use, it is a female connector, there are 6 pins.
I do have a multimeter.
Ah, you mean the ride-height or leveling sensor used for the automatic height adjustment of the headlamps. I know these as level sensors.

VIDA says the following:

Automatic range adjustment (Bi-Xenon)
There are two motors, one on each headlamp, which angle the headlamps upwards or downwards to control the range of the beam. The motors are on the rear of the headlamps.

The motors are controlled by signals from a position sensor at the rear axle. The sensor detects the angle of the car under different load conditions and sends this information via the rear electronic module (REM) so that the central electronic module (CEM) can determine whether the lamps need to be raised or lowered.
For further information about the position sensor, see Design and Function, rear electronic module (REM).

There are diagnostics for the headlamp range adjustment.

The sensor is described as follows:

Position sensors
Inductive sensor that transmits an analogue signal (voltage) to the rear electronic module (REM) (not vehicles equipped with Four-C (Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept)). On vehicles with Four-C, the signal travels via the suspension module (SUM).

And it also says:
Automatic level control

Sensor
The following applies to cars without Four-C (Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept)
An inductive position sensor reads the angle between the body and the left rear control arm. The angle is a indication of how much the vehicle is leaning (chassis height) and depends on weight distribution.
  • The sensor is mounted slightly differently for FWD and AWD.
  • The rear electronic module (REM) reads off an analog signal (0.5 - 4.5 V) from the position sensor and converts it to an angle value (±35°), which is sent to the central electronic module (CEM).
  • A fully loaded vehicle generates a signal of 0.5 V, which corresponds to negative 35°.
  • The central electronic module (CEM) regulates the headlight levelling motors (PWM signal) to adjust the headlights vertically.

The following applies to vehicles with Four-C
Two sensors read the angle between the body and the left and right rear control arm. The angle is a indication of how much the vehicle is leaning (chassis height) and depends on weight distribution.
The sensors are mounted slightly differently for FWD and AWD.
The suspension module (SUM) reads off the signals from the sensors and converts them to an angle value. The value is sent to the central electronic module (CEM) via the CAN network. The central electronic module (CEM) uses the information to regulate the headlight levelling motors.

Level control
Regulation at speeds below 4 km/h (2.5 mph)
When the ignition is switched on, the position sensor is read and the headlight levelling motors adjust the headlights.
Regulation at speeds above 4 km/h (2.5 mph)
The headlights are regulated if there are great angle changes while driving. Regulation is time-dependant so that the system does not react to short changes, such as unevenness in the road surface.

Calibration
The position sensor must be calibrated after work on the rear suspension. Perform calibration as described in the tab DIAGNOSTICS/VEHICLE COMMUNICATION, Rear electronic module (REM).

Caution! Calibration must be carried out after work such as removing/installing the sensors and replacing the sensors, rear axle, bushings, shock absorbers or springs. In vehicles with Four C, calibration is carried out via the suspension module (SUM). Beam adjustment is carried out conventionally (via adjustment screws by the headlight). The light switch must be in the "on" position while calibrating.

So clearly if no 4C, there is only one level sensor, and it is on the left rear control arm

Regarding diagnosis, VIDA says:
REM-8F10

Condition
The rear electronic module (REM) checks the signal from the rear position sensor.
The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored if the rear electronic module (REM) registers a faulty signal from the position sensor.
The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) can be diagnosed at key position II.

Substitute value
The shortest headlamp range will be used.

Possible source
Short-circuit to supply voltage in the signal cable
Defective position sensor.

Fault symptom
Automatic headlamp range control is not functioning.

There's a golden rule in electronics: if it moves or if it gets hot, it will fail. If it is exposed to the environment, it will fail.

The level sensor is under the car, exposed to road dirt and water.
They do fail
Focus on the connector to the sensor, the wiring (check for cuts / shorts / chaffing) and then the sensor itselr.
The sensor would be the first item on your list to replace, if you find no wiring issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for confirming this.

The few millimeters of wiring I can see looks good, the rest is in a corrugated pipe.

I wonder if anybody could take a picture of the installation on a non Four-C as I removed it without taking a picture (stupid of me, I always do it and for whatever reason I did not this time) and now I am having trouble to figure out where that bracket goes.

The other '06 I have is Four-C, the bracket and the connector are not visible, they are in the interior of the casing.

I hope somebody can help.

Thank you,

Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts