SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 V70 T5 with a very very weird problem with the rear "position" lights.

It started like this:

"position light bulb failure" in the information window.
I checked the connections, banged the side of the car, the light came back on for a while, message went off, all is ok.

After the holidays, I picked up my car again (to discover that someone used it while I was away and got stopped by the police for driving with no rear lights, but this is another story).

I thought OK I need to sort out these lights, another bulb must have blown.
I bought a pair of Phillips (same design, only these are rated 21/5W instead of the original 21/4W that had blown on the right) and replaced them together.

The bulb on the other side (left) still looked OK so I kept it and put it down to a bad connection.

Now when I turn on the lights, the front works, there are no lights at the back of the car.

I checked the number plate light bulbs (they are OK), but no matter what I do no lights come on ever again.

I read many many threads on the internets, and did the boot slap, side slap, change the relays with that of the fuel tank door, to no avail.

One evening (I dont remember the full procedure that got me there though), I manage to get the lights working again by starting the car first, and changing the bulbs with lights on and car running.

You will have guessed that when I turned the car off and on again the lights were gone for good one more time.

Front lights: OK
Rear fog light: OK
Turning indicators: OK
Brake lights: OK

Read position lights: OFF
Registration plate lights: OFF
Fuel tank door: DOES NOT LOCK WITH THE REST OF THE CAR.

Can anyone please help me trace the source of this problem?
I am happy to go to Volvo to get the right type of lights, (1W difference!) but somehow I dont think that it would solve my problems, because I managed to get those to work, and the registration plate lights are off even though the bulbs are OK.

Thanks in advance.

Nik

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had a similar problem; ended up having to take the taillight assemblies out of the car, clean the metal tracks and bend a few of them to make sure there was a connection. That was about a month ago, and so far everything still works. I have no idea how long it will actually last.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
take the taillight assemblies out of the car, clean the metal tracks and bend a few of them to make sure there was a connection.
Thanks for this Kevin. What do you mean by taillight assemblies exactly? The rear lights or do I need to look for some connections somewhere else?

·
Registered
331 Posts
The rear lights. There are studs mounted to the plastic housings that go through holes in the body and are secured with nuts. On the back side of the housings is a metal grid that delivers power to each bulb location. On my car, a previous owner (or technician) had replaced some bulbs and managed to bend the grid out of shape, causing an intermittent contact with the bulb socket. A bit of cleaning with electrical contact cleaner and a bit of bending with some small needle nose pliers and everything worked again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Kevin,

I will try this tomorrow.
Somebody else suggested also checking the ground, that could be what the issue is, located where the metal plates are, if there is some ground there.
Time to get my hands dirty.

;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts