SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey SS,

I've searched online for this topic but haven't found a resolution. I get a warning message on my dash saying "Position Bulb Failure." Thing is, all bulbs are working, I even replaced the bulbs that looked like they were going out. I've damn near replaced all the rear bulbs. Even cleaned them all and use dielectric grease on them. All bulbs still working and are bright. All this done to no avail, warning is still on.

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be the relay? Also does any one know if using ViDA/Dice can read the computer which might lead me to which one is not reading?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have not had this message without at least one bulb out or getting flakey due to oxidation on the contacts. It has typically been a rear light, but FWIK, it could be a side, front or possibly a side mirror light.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same message that comes on, I think that its you may have knocked the position of the head light off. I bumped into a wall in my parking garage and it kind of bent the headlight out of position. take it to the volvo dealership they should fix it in no time and possibly for free if its not too bad. other than that you could but new head lights. Could also be taillight.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
The Position bulb failure refer to the rear position bulbs. Which are the center 2 bulbs on each of the rear lights. These are lights that turn on when the car is running. The 2 bulbs are not the standard brake nor signal.

The thing with these bulbs are that the holders sometimes oxidize, creating a poor contact to the bulb. Even though they may be working, they may throw an error. Reseating the bulb most oftenly work, and sometimes swapping the bulb is a better solution. I basically have a stash of working bulbs in the hidden rear compartments, I simply go through those to figure out what's throwing the code. It's relatively easy to work on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Positon light failure Hell

This "position light failure" on my 06 S80 will never go away. In the past I had headlight failures and just replaced the bulbs and the "low beam failure or High Beam failure" went out. But this Positon Light Failure is a bear. It started because the tag lights were both out. I repalced them and the message went out. Then it came back on. My bulbs are the capsule style with the contacts on the ends. I cleaned them and the metal contacts in the trunk lid and the prongs the bulb sets in. The message went out. Now is back again. All the bulbs are lit. I noticed that if I slam the trunk harder than usual the message goes out but then comes on later.

All this started with the tag lights when they were burned out.

I saw from a post here that it could be the side position lights in the tail light. I only have one on each side but someone suggested there are two. I'll replace these and see if this has any effect.

What else can this be.?

All help appreciated.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Try this. Take out the position bulbs from their location and remove the bulbs and replace them with 1156 bulbs. Those bulbs use more juice, and since the computer checks the bulbs by way of checking the resistance coming from back there, those higher watt bulbs should in theory verify that the computer is seeing the minimum amount of resistance, since by using those bigger bulbs you will be definitely using above and beyond the amount of resistance necessary to not set off the alert.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This could also be the lamps (underneath/inside) front door mirrors. Since they don't stay on long we don't notice them.
BTW This was MY case and it took ma long time to realize that!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had this message and replaced the 4 rear bulbs that are always on. They can be moody though, sometimes the lights under my mirror work and sometimes they dont, even my blinker speeds sometimes go double time. Just check whenever you get the chance and you may see which one is out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
^^You need to replace the sockets too then. They're not much money and often corrode up causing a bulb out warning even if the bulb is lit.

sent from...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts