SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am porting the head from my R. On first inspection would say the casting quality is high. Intake ports look pretty good, need the typical bowl clean up, smooth out some casting flash etc.

The exhaust is tight, really narrows in cross section area to get by the valve guide and the huge hump of aluminum around it. Does anyone know how far you can take this hump down before compromising the casting or hitting water??? I was hoping to take it down to flush with the port roof. I searched this and other forums and can't find any pics of anyone who has really ported this area of the head, but I am hoping there are some experts out there that can help with this, please.

You can't take much metal off the exhaust port divider, as there is a water port in the middle of that. Otherwise, exhaust port will get bowl work, clean up and polishing.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you can't find the answer maybe try buying a wrecked head to try and see how far you can go to flush without ruining your good head. Look for someone whose timing belt went out and they switched the head and still have it laying around I'm sure the cost wouldn't be a whole lot for a ruined head...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
If you can't find the answer maybe try buying a wrecked head to try and see how far you can go to flush without ruining your good head. Look for someone whose timing belt went out and they switched the head and still have it laying around I'm sure the cost wouldn't be a whole lot for a ruined head...
+1 on this.

I am curious as to what you find, too... and what the actual gains might be. I know that it "feels" like the design is pretty good, but I also know there is always room for improvement.

Does it look like they may be used venturi effect for scavenging on these exhaust ports? Just curious... but I know there were a few heads that removing material caused for a decrease in flow rate, as the venturi effect got wrecked and the vacuum in the exhaust got lost...

Anyway, pix and updates would be awesome!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.