SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once in a while, when we're on a long road trip, we'd like to be able to listen to an audiobook on CD. Our 2018 V90 does not have the built in player. Any way to temporarily hook up a portable and route the sound thru the B&W stereo?

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you don't have an aux input then you will have to get a bluetooth transmitter like I have linked below.

Upgraded Version TaoTronics Portable Bluetooth Transmitter for TV, AptX Low Latency Wireless Audio Adapter for 3.5mm Stereo, Pairs Bluetooth Headphones/Speakers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W5S2WVN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yGHNDb4SMFHJ5

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
564 Posts
I don't understand. Where, on a 2018 V90 (like ours) do you plug in a 3.5 jack? If there's a place to do so, why not just plug in a portable CD player there. That's the output all of them seem to offer. The only input that I know of is a USB receptacle.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't understand. Where, on a 2018 V90 (like ours) do you plug in a 3.5 jack? If there's a place to do so, why not just plug in a portable CD player there. That's the output all of them seem to offer. The only input that I know of is a USB receptacle.
That's why he'd need the Bluetooth transmitter

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
I like my 2018 V90CC T6 very much, but the lack of an Aux input and the fact that I cannot add the factory CD player available for some other S and V 90 series Volvos seems like either a very stupid design flaw, or an act of contempt for customers. It makes no sense. At very least Volvo should supply a simple adapter like the one that comes with recent iPhones.

Bluetooth is a second rate solution because of the degradation in sound quality.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I like my 2018 V90CC T6 very much, but the lack of an Aux input and the fact that I cannot add the factory CD player available for some other S and V 90 series Volvos seems like either a very stupid design flaw, or an act of contempt for customers. It makes no sense. At very least Volvo should supply a simple adapter like the one that comes with recent iPhones.

Bluetooth is a second rate solution because of the degradation in sound quality.
amen!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Mine has a little 3.5mm jack in the glove box right next to the USB ports. I've never used it though.

Another alternative would just be to just rip the CD on your computer, and put the files on your phone, and play them back via bluetooth.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

It's not the 90's anymore. The 90's ended 20 years ago.

CD's are pretty much a dead format. Why should they include compatibility for them?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Open your center console (where your elbow sits), remove the felt lined interior box. See if there's a connector tucked in around there. If yes, congrats, order yourself the following parts:

1x 36012529
3x 30640825

·
Registered
195 Posts
Interesting suggestion. So it all comes down to checking to see if the wire harness included the connector for the CD player. I wonder if there is anything else? I know the CD play icon on the audio page on the display was grayed out on the demo I drove. Should be expect that when the CD player is connected it will activate the software? I too want to play a few CD's in my collection now and then. Yeah..I know I can rip them onto a zip drive. Still, I like the idea of the built in CD player.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Interesting suggestion. So it all comes down to checking to see if the wire harness included the connector for the CD player. I wonder if there is anything else? I know the CD play icon on the audio page on the display was grayed out on the demo I drove. Should be expect that when the CD player is connected it will activate the software? I too want to play a few CD's in my collection now and then. Yeah..I know I can rip them onto a zip drive. Still, I like the idea of the built in CD player.
People are hesitant to rip into their $50k+ car and start connecting things up. That and you have to REALLY want your CDs to spend the $300+ for the player, when you can use your computer to rip all of your CDs to a small thumb drive, and save all the console space.

·
Registered
859 Posts

Your right!
I still have my 8 track and a sh*t load of tapes I would like to play in my V90CC.
I bet they didn't provide a RCA input just to piss me off. Those Volvo bast*ds! ;)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Your right!
I still have my 8 track and a sh*t load of tapes I would like to play in my V90CC.
I bet they didn't provide a RCA input just to piss me off. Those Volvo bast*ds! ;)
Our old Mitsubishi Sportcross Ralliart had RCA inputs! hahaha... It also had a CD/DVD player, which I kid you not, we just left a "fireplace" DVD in there and for fun on cold winter commutes home would switch to that and let the fire warm the car. Hahaha....

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you posters above are happy with Bluetooth or MP3 audio quality then, er, may the gods shower blessings upon you. Neither is as good as CD quality audio. Sure, there are work-arounds such as ripping .aflac files to a thumb drive, but this too is an indicator of contempt for customers. What possible reason could there be to delete the previously supplied Aux jack, or not allow customers to add the optional CD player available on some other S90, V90 and V90CC models?

I did not pop for a B&W system in order to settle for MP3 audio quality.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Mine has a little 3.5mm jack in the glove box right next to the USB ports.
Okay, now you really have me confused. You have USB ports AND a 3.5mm jack in the glovebox of a 2017 S90? Literally, in the compartment forward of the front-seat passenger?

My USB ports are in the center console storage box.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Okay, now you really have me confused. You have USB ports AND a 3.5mm jack in the glovebox of a 2017 S90? Literally, in the compartment forward of the front-seat passenger?

My USB ports are in the center console storage box.
My apologies. My wires got crossed. I never intended to say "glove box", I intended to say center console. That's where all of my connections are located.

·
Registered
854 Posts
My s90 has usb and 3.5 jack in center console.

·
Registered
586 Posts
the fact that I cannot add the factory CD player available for some other S and V 90 series Volvos seems like either a very stupid design flaw, or an act of contempt for customers. It makes no sense.
Not surprisingly, in addition to having no CD option in the S90 and the V90 Cross Country, Volvo refuses to offer the CD player in the V60 to USA consumers, but is widely available in that model pretty much everywhere else (including the UK). Same goes with the INCREDIBLY useful high voltage plug-in power outlet in the rear of the center console. This allows you to plug in things like your cell phone or laptop for a rapid charge vs. relying on the crappy output of the USB or ash lighter. THANK GOD I was able to order my V90s with the CD and the high voltage plug - the two options I enjoy and use the most (this is likely only because the V90 is a special order only model to begin with here). Why they limit American consumers to their "one size fits all" ordering platform, especially considering that most of us are Internet savvy these days, is a mystery, especially when we're forking out $40-65K.

·
Registered
586 Posts
It's not the 90's anymore. The 90's ended 20 years ago.
CD's are pretty much a dead format. Why should they include compatibility for them?
That's what options are for! If you don't need one, don't order it. You claim CDs are a "dead format," but stored music or music played via Bluetooth sounds like absolute crap because I have both. NOTHING beats the quality of a CD in the Bowers & Wilkins system, and if you're paying that kind of money, you should be able to decide through what medium you listen. And the sales people we know have all told us MANY of their customers are disgusted when they find out their 50K car doesn't have one.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Another alternative would just be to just rip the CD on your computer, and put the files on your phone, and play them back via bluetooth.

I have about 200 CDs. Who the hell has the time for that!??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts