SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, newbie here. I've been lurking around this forum since last summer, put the order in at the end of August and now my XC90 is sitting at the port as of 11/5.

Specs:
Inscription trim in luminous sand exterior, Amber interior, Black headliner, HUD, Vision package, and Convenience package.

Thanks to you guys I was able to track my car once I received the VIN from my dealer. It was off loaded and shows "delivered from" status at the Baltimore port as of 11/5. My dealer's original ETA was 11/6, though I initially thought that was the ETA at the dealership but maybe he meant ETA at the port. So I have a couple questions:

1) how long did your XC90 sit at the port before getting to the dealership? My dealer couldn't give me any updates on when they will have it.

2) we have a toddler and a baby so we figured adding the running boards would be convenient. We currently have a jeep and picking up my almost 3yr old toddler to help him climb into the car is getting pretty tiring (and heavy). The thing is we only thought of this recently so we asked the dealer about it and he said that had we added it to our order it would've been $1700-something (listed price on the website) but for us to add it now it would be couple hundred dollars more. Is this normal for dealers to charge extra when adding running boards after you put in the order? Can it be added at no extra cost at the port?

We are paying MSRP like most ppl here and asked if they can give us a deal on the accessories (discount on the running boards and maybe throwing in the all weather mats for free). He said no to the running boards but he can ask the manager about the all weather mats ;p crossing my fingers!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Hi everyone, newbie here. I've been lurking around this forum since last summer, put the order in at the end of August and now my XC90 is sitting at the port as of 11/5.

Specs:
Inscription trim in luminous sand exterior, Amber interior, Black headliner, HUD, Vision package, and Convenience package.

Thanks to you guys I was able to track my car once I received the VIN from my dealer. It was off loaded and shows "delivered from" status at the Baltimore port as of 11/5. My dealer's original ETA was 11/6, though I initially thought that was the ETA at the dealership but maybe he meant ETA at the port. So I have a couple questions:

1) how long did your XC90 sit at the port before getting to the dealership? My dealer couldn't give me any updates on when they will have it.

2) we have a toddler and a baby so we figured adding the running boards would be convenient. We currently have a jeep and picking up my almost 3yr old toddler to help him climb into the car is getting pretty tiring (and heavy). The thing is we only thought of this recently so we asked the dealer about it and he said that had we added it to our order it would've been $1700-something (listed price on the website) but for us to add it now it would be couple hundred dollars more. Is this normal for dealers to charge extra when adding running boards after you put in the order? Can it be added at no extra cost at the port?

We are paying MSRP like most ppl here and asked if they can give us a deal on the accessories (discount on the running boards and maybe throwing in the all weather mats for free). He said no to the running boards but he can ask the manager about the all weather mats ;p crossing my fingers!
The accessories are more expensive at the retailer vs. being installed at the port. The Port installation prices do not change no matter when you add them. If I were you, I would ask you retailer to add them now, before the car leaves the port. The price for the port-installed running boards is $1,735.-

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The accessories are more expensive at the retailer vs. being installed at the port. The Port installation prices do not change no matter when you add them. If I were you, I would ask you retailer to add them now, before the car leaves the port. The price for the port-installed running boards is $1,735.-
Thank you, GrecianVolvo! I should contact my dealer tomorrow then :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
El, there is a whole thread about how the running boards are more hassle than they are worth. Please check it out. Maybe it will save you the 1.7k.

M

·
Registered
28 Posts
!
My order time lines also match yours. My vehicle was at the port for less than a week. The dealer updated me last weekend that the vehicle arrived at the port and I may be getting the vehicle at the dealership sometime after next weekend. But everyone was pleasantly surprised to see the vehicle arrive at the dealership yesterday. They are going to have the vehicle ready for me by this Tuesday.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Specs:

When you take possession, please share some photos. I've just ordered the same color combinations and would love to see how it looks. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you have been following the group for a while then you should know that the running boards DO NOT really aid in vehicle access. Quite the opposite, they get in the way and tend to dirty your pant legs. For the XC90, because of where they are located, right at sill height, they are nothing more than decorative. There is another [recent] post where someone that got them, is fed up and is paying the dealer to remove them. Save yourself the $$ and hassle, skip the RB.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
If you have been following the group for a while then you should know that the running boards DO NOT really aid in vehicle access. Quite the opposite, they get in the way and tend to dirty your pant legs. For the XC90, because of where they are located, right at sill height, they are nothing more than decorative. There is another [recent] post where someone that got them, is fed up and is paying the dealer to remove them. Save yourself the $$ and hassle, skip the RB.
The observations are correct but only if people do not use the running boards as a step to get in or out of the vehicle. If they are being used sporadically, then they may get in the way of entering and exiting the vehicle without touching your legs which can soil your clothes when wet/dirty, etc. However, one would install the running boards with the intention of using them every time they get in and out; if used in such a manner, they will serve their purpose very well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your responses! Yes, I've read the complaints about the running boards creating more hassle for access in and out of the car, but those who like them had kids using them all the time, which is exactly why we were considering adding those. However, it turns out that our car has already left the port so my husband and I decided to go without them and see how it is for my toddler to get in and out of the car, then maaaaybe adding them later. It is expensive at almost 2K a pop!

I will post pictures once we pick up the car :) still not sure when it will show up at the dealer but I'm guessing sometime this week. Can't wait!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts