SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sooooo....I just started hearing a "bung" and/or a "popping" sound when going to work today and got worse when I went home. It vibrates through the entire car when I go over a bump or when I steer right or left.

Did a little searching on this forum and a few others. First I thought some part of the front suspension went bad, but when I reversed and went backwards up onto the car stands of mine, I heard an ever so subtle "bung" sound from the rear--had the windows down and sunroof open to get an orientation of the sound. So, that clued me in that it had to be towards the rear of the car.

However, I just got done re-torquing the ELEVATE sway bar at the end link locations. The other 4 bolts are just fine. However, I noticed a little bit of loosening--maybe a few turns--which has me wondering if I need something more powerful to torque these bolts tighter?

I just drove the S40 around the block and don't hear the popping anymore, so I'm pretty sure this is it. Too much of a coincidence.

I also checked my front endlinks and nothing is out of the ordinary, no bolts appear loose at all. I push the car up and down and don't hear anything. Even try to move it from side to side and nothing from the front.

So, anyone experience some issues when first installing a new rear sway bar? Is the S40 THAT TEMPERMENTAL? Which is a good thing, but I'm surprised I hear such a sound and then I only re-tighten a few endlink bolts a few turns and everything is fine!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
yes, i had the same issue and after re-tightening the bolts everything was fine.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I believe someone mentioned before that the Elevate rear bars are drilled for a larger diameter end-link stud. To do it right you need to find a spacer to take up this slop.

FYI, the Mazda Speed 3 uses a larger end link stud so you could get a pair of those as well. Gee, I wonder where Elevate gets their rear bars?
Mazda sells two accessory rear bars of the same diameter. One for the 3 & one for Speed 3. The only difference being the size of that end-link hole.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Yep, the holes in the horizontal-type Elevate bar are about 12mm while the endlink studs are about 10mm.

I took a piece of 1/2"OD / 3/8"ID sleeving, cut it off to make an insert, and pressed it into the holes on the bar. Presto, no play.

You won't need this for the vertical-type bar.

I like the look of those Delco endlinks for the Mazda, not sure but they look like they have the 10mm bolt too. The ones from this thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?174446-Rear-Sway-Bar-Writeup

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Yep, I'm the person who had mentioned that a while back. I had made that small mod to fix the knocking:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...e-Rear-Sway-Bar-Fix!&highlight=elevate+spacer

Now, that's neat that you can buy some already made though It's tough to know if they fit perfectly...
I like the look of those Delco endlinks for the Mazda, not sure but they look like they have the 10mm bolt too. The ones from this thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?174446-Rear-Sway-Bar-Writeup

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
FWIW, I have the vertical sway bar. Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll be ordering those 10mm spacers. Ugh! I might let Don know about this.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Mazda 3 endlinks 10mm
Mazda Speed 3 endlinks 12mm
I'm suspecting there might have been different versions of the end links and that is why it came out not matching.

By the way I made my spacer myself. It's not that hard with some off-the-shelves aluminum tubing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've tackled this problem too...

Don't forget that these end links consist of two bolts, you'll need one bolt to be 12 mm to the elevate anti way bar, the other bolt on the link has to remain 10 mm, otherwise it will not fit through the 10mm hole on the transverse axle beam!

so either 12/10 mm spacers or you could try out these no-names ... the seller isn't providing any diameters but from the pic you can tell that one bolt is thicker than the other.

2 REAR Sway Bar Links For MAZDA 3 - link to ebay

·
Registered
453 Posts
To everyone who has had the popping noise, does it sound like the pop in this video around 0:15?

I just had the popping noise come up and it sounds exactly like 0:15 in the video I linked to, but the sounds comes from the rear of the car. It only happens when going over bumps, making very fast turns, or when turning out of my driveway. I just re-torqued all the bar and end link bolts so we'll see if it happens tomorrow, but my rear lower control arm seems to twist a little too much when I jack the car up and I'm wondering if that could be the source of the pop.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
To everyone who has had the popping noise, does it sound like the pop in this video around 0:15?

I just had the popping noise come up and it sounds exactly like 0:15 in the video I linked to, but the sounds comes from the rear of the car. It only happens when going over bumps, making very fast turns, or when turning out of my driveway. I just re-torqued all the bar and end link bolts so we'll see if it happens tomorrow, but my rear lower control arm seems to twist a little too much when I jack the car up and I'm wondering if that could be the source of the pop.
hard to tell since when it happened to me I was inside the car while driving and it had a little more of a knock sound to it but kind of quick like that. From your description, yes that would be the case that it's the sway bar. But on that video that would not be the sway bar obviously . . . the sway bar becomes active as a spring element only when the car tilts sideways (hence "sway" bar). Otherwise it just follows the two wheels without flexing which should not create sounds...

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
i had the popping sound when turning and also when simply going straight. i have no idea why.
but i can confirm that re-tightening the sway bar has resulted in never hearing it again.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well I re-torqued everything yesterday and didn't hear a single noise today, we'll see how it holds over time.

Question for the OP, why did you check your front end links and not your rear end links? I'd give tightening your rear end links and the bushing bracket bolts a try, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hey,

Yeah, I checked my front suspension because I was searching for similar wordings on this forum, and I was thinking the spring seats and/or links. Also, the vibration seemed to come more from the front, and only when I rolled down all the windows and opened the sunroof, did I hear the sound coming from the trunk of the car.

I didn't even notice the rear sway bar having a small gap fitting to the endlinks, but after checking the endlinks, I was surprised to find out it was loose.

Would be a good idea (I think) to make an important notation on the sticky thread when installing this sway bar for this particular year. Because this could have been a serious issue for me on the road. I almost had the sucker towed to my favorite dealership and I'm sure many people would have done the same, given the loud metal-on-metal banging sound.

In any case, THANK GOD for this forum. You guys respond quick and it's really helped me diagnose/solve issues.

Should get my 10mm spacers today.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I think we're on the mission for the best forum ever :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well....looks like those spacers were the idea, but they needed to be maybe about .5mm thinner. Looks like the bar has gone through another revision--lol. Will probably make my own fix from a local hardware store this weekend. At least I know what the issue was. Like tmtalpey posted, I might get somekind of tubing to fill in the gap or maybe find a spacer with the dimensions I need. Thanks again, guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts