SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My upper radiator hose popped off the other day for the second time. The first time occurring last September. I’ve owned the car since last May.

I’m not exactly sure how this happened. When it happened the first time at the shop did a pressure test, found no issues, so they added coolant and tightened up the hose and called it good. The car had had the engine replaced last April right before I bought it so I figured that it was slightly loose and didn’t think anything more of it.

Fast forward to this past Thursday and it happened again. It happened after some spirited driving both times, but nothing hyper aggressive or racing. After this second time, the shop also replaced the upper radiator hose and used a new clamp.

I am not a fan of this in the Volvo mechanic I don’t feel they gave the car the proper attention but I cannot find anything wrong with the cooling system and this is very strange and frustrating and leaves me stranded on the side of the road. Of course now I have 3 gallons of distilled water in my car so I can fix it and get rolling and add coolant later.

My plan is to replace the reservoir cap, cheap fix. I am also looking at replacing the thermostat assy but I don’t want to do parts cannon if I can avoid it. Car has never had any cooling issues coolant temp is always pegged exactly where it should be and never moves. Thoughts?

TL;DR: coolant hose popped off for second time in a seven month period under spirited but not aggressive driving, plan to replace reservoir cap. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Was the radiator ever replaced? There’s a tab on the radiator that has to be bent down for the hose to fit on properly. I bought a blown motor’d s60r because they replaced the radiator and the top hose blew off and overheated. All because of a tab, the hose will seems like it will fit on tighten down but not all the way. Try to look for that

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Has the car been losing coolant recently ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Not sure on the history of the radiator, I can’t imagine it’s original at 16 y/o. Looks oem.

No loss of coolant. Heads are solid. No smoke, no bubbles in coolant, no milky oil. Good used oil analyses. So strange.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Has the car been losing coolant recently ?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I'd take a close look at the radiator. There isn't a tab that has to be bent down, I have no idea what that means. But the OEM radiator has a lip on the end of the upper hose connection. I've seen aftermarket ones without this lip and the hose would be easier to slide off.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
The spirited driving connection has me wondering if you are sending combustion gases (under boost) into the cooling system via a crack, or gasket failure.

I second checking the radiator port for any damage or lack of a sealing bead (raised section around the circumference which prevents the clamp from sliding off). Also make sure the clamp is secured well of course. A clogged radiator could cause this issue as well due to the back pressure created...higher engine rpm will push more flow through the radiator.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I really don’t think I have a crack or gasket issues. I run the car hard but don’t rag it or abuse it. I can’t imagine this would’ve taken 7 months to surface a second time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Planning on dropping in a do88 in a few months. Will probably just replace the rad for cheap insurance at that time.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Again, no it hasn’t

Ok. You’ve got excess pressure coming from somewhere.... not many possible sources.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes... Over-pressurization of the cooling system usually has something to do with exhaust gases entering it. I've had a car that began popping hoses once, but that one was confirmed in need of a head gasket.

Exhaust gas overpressurized the cooling system, and after I replaced one hose, another would pop. Three times in a row. Ended up getting a new engine in that car. This wasn't a Volvo that happened to, but, that was the result. Not saying that is what you've got going on there, but a liquid test (turns yellow) on the coolant reservoir would tell you if it's getting in there.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Just keep in mind that combustion gas test in coolant can show you if you have a problem, but passing it really doesn't mean you don't since the gases might only show up under boost and dissipate before you can check for them. It's worth testing, just keep that in mind.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just find it strange that it takes this long to manifest itself, i.e. 7 months between incidents.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'd take a close look at the radiator. There isn't a tab that has to be bent down, I have no idea what that means. But the OEM radiator has a lip on the end of the upper hose connection. I've seen aftermarket ones without this lip and the hose would be easier to slide off.
I’m just going by what the guys that replaced the motor told me, something about a tab or something that blocks the hose that slides all the way down on the male end. It will seem like it goes on but doesn’t go on enough.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If your radiator cap has been replaced and you’ve got a lip on the upper radiator hose connection I can only suggest keeping the coolant level a fraction over minimum in the coolant tank rather than on the maximum. This should allow for more expansion in the coolant system?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys. Engine has 114k. Honestly praying it doesn’t have a cracked block, that’d be the end of the R life for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Remove this connection and see if the inside (of the tank) is not obstructed

1 - 20 of 35 Posts