SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has also been posted on MVS. Just trying to cover all bases.

Car: 2001 V70 T5 5spd 160k miles with Eibach springs and Koni FSD's.

Description of issue:
-The car has developed a thud/pop feeling/sound.
-It happens when the car is not moving or less than 5mph, engine either running or not, and I turn the steering wheel side to side approximately an inch. Doesn't matter if the wheel is centered, near full lock, or somewhere in between.
-I get a shimmy in the wheel when braking from speed while traveling straight.
-It does not shimmy when braking in a turn or curve.
-I do not have a shimmy when accelerating, crushing, or coasting.
-Maybe or maybe not related, the power steering pump started making a whine/whir sound.

Recent maintenance:
-OEM control arms
-OEM ball joints
-OEM swaybar endlinks
-OEM upper strut mount
-IPD HD upper spring perch
-OEM inner and outer tie rod ends

Troubleshooting:
-I have done all the suspension part replacements. I notice that on my way to the alignment shop that the thud and the shimmy was gone, thinking that the part replacement fixed my issue, only to find that it had returned once everything was back in alignment.
-With the front wheels lifted off the ground there is no issue.
-The brakes (pads/rotors) were replaced by the PO just before I bought it. They have about 15k miles on them. I don't believe the brakes are at fault due to the thud occurring with steering input and there is no shimmy when the front is out of alignment.
-Put a wrench to the steering rack mount bolts/all were tight.
-Power flushed the power steering system with new fluid/didn't fix the pump noise.
-Replaced the pump with one from the JY/didn't fix the pump noise.

I am leaning towards the steering rack but want to be sure before I dive into replacing it. There are no leaks coming from it either.

I have not found any threads related to loose or internally bad racks. All the rack issue threads that I have come across deal with leaking racks.

Anyone have experience with these kind of symptoms? Anything I should look at that I haven't yet?

Someone on MVS has mentioned the torsion bar being at fault.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
First tighten the yoke (I see you did that)
Next there are a couple of column parts (I don't know what they're called, both are on the column) that could have gone bad. Those need to be checked out.
If everything on the column and rack top to bottom checks out, you may need a new rack

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I finally had some time to take a quick look under the dash at te steering column and this is what I found.

Looks like a support bearing of some kind. I am going to grease the rollers back up and try to shove it back into place. Only problem is I'm not sure where or how exactly it goes back into place. Anyone been there done that on a volvo of this vintage?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe it goes down between te boot and the steering shaft. Didn't seem like it went any further down. Still have the same issue though.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I'd say that's definitely your problem, and if it didn't solve it then it's not in the right place. A bearing like that should press fit on the OD so you will probably have to tap it back where it goes.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I went to te JY yesterday for a Chinese blueprint and found that the bearing sits in a recess in the rubber boot. It does not get "pressed" into anything. I am pretty much narrowing it down to either the rack or the column. There is an 04 at this JY and both the column and the rack look and feel to be in good shape. I might go this weekend and grab them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Picked up a rack, steering column, and pressure/return lines from an 04 v70 at the JY on Sunday. I know that between 01-03 and 04 there was a PN change with the rack but visually looking at it I can tell that the pressure and return lines are spaced closer together my about 5mm on the 04 unit and there is some kind of rubber doughnut gasket on the input shaft going into the 01-03 unit. Anyone have any experience with the differences between the two racks. Is it possible to swap out the column, rack, and lines from and 04 into my 01 without issue?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts