SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife says every time she shuts the car off she hears a pop sound. I've driven it and never noticed the sound, just wondering if anyone else has this? She absolutely loves the car but not sure if it suppose to have that sound after shutting off. Hopefully it's just normal for the car to do that!

·
Registered
126 Posts
My wife mentioned the car growls / shutters when she turns it off. I tried it and it doesn't seem problematic. Not the same as a pop but it's hard to figure out what someone else says ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heard it myself this morning when she pulled it in the garage and shut it off. Sounded like the hatch opening and she was coming around the back of the car. So we may do it tonight and see if that's what it might be, like I said before...never noticed when I drove the car. Thanks for all that chimed in on this post. By the way, we have the standard suspension and only hear one pop sound not multiple pops.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My wife mentioned the car growls / shutters when she turns it off. I tried it and it doesn't seem problematic. Not the same as a pop but it's hard to figure out what someone else says ;)
Hi, I have actually experienced the popping and shuttering quite often. I have a couple posts about this already. I feel that the shuttering may be due to the AC. When I have the AC on or just have turned it of and then turn off the car, I am able to reproduce it quite regularly. The growling sound is likely the AC as well. Mine actually fades in and out.

When I take my car in for the November update, I plan to have the dealership look into it. From other posters, I have heard from, they mentioned that the popping sound is normal because of the new metal expanding and contracting from the variation in temp. Thought it doesn't sound right. Here is a video I had posted a couple of days ago. You can hear the popping sound.
I took the video because I can also hear a fan spinning down that doesn't sound normal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have had this before, it sounds just like metal expanding or contracting. Like a loud png coming from the exhaust. Only "pants" once and not really a concern since I know what it is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments, not really concerned that much. Just wanted to know if I was the only one and if it was normal or not. Maybe Grecian would be kind enough to clue us in for sure.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, after listening today from the rear of the vehicle I think XC90-R is correct! Sounded like it was coming from the exhaust and like I said it only appears to do it one time. Thanks again for recommending what it might be!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have this too and it is definitely coming from the exhaust system. It only pops once and its done. As mentioned before the heat and cold causing the metal to expand and retract. It's normal and not a big deal.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with you Iron_Man! I'm not freaked out about but just wondered what it was, thanks for your comments brother!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Its normal - just the metal housing of the exhaust contracting that makes the noise.
I've had mine about 5 days, and yes, I've heard the "pop" several times now after shutting down and getting out. It does sound like a metal pop and what's being described in this quote. Hopefully nothing to be concerned with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had the same thing, doesn't seem to bother me, it usually pops out maybe a min after car shut off, not sure what it is, but it doesn't seem to be a problem to me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've had my M+ T6 (with conventional suspension, not air) for about 2 weeks now, and I started noticing a number of loud metallic pops from the rear of the car after shutting down, even after a short drive. It sounds like somebody dropping pennies on a heat shield.

I've certainly heard heat related sounds after shutdown in other cars, but nothing so loud nor as many pops.

Is this a universal issue, and has anyone run into this turning into or being symptomatic of bigger issues?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
702 Posts
Not an issue. Normal settling of exhaust after expansion from driving.
The cool down will result in these pinging noises. I've heard it happen in every car I've driven for the past 20 yrs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've noticed the same thing! I had to wait in the car and I opted to just turn everything off and relax in the quiet, and after everything is off, every minute for about ~1-3 seconds there is that growling sound. Sounds to me like a pump noise or some kind of an actuator. I didn't sit in there long enough to see how many times it does it, but it seems normal because of how rhythmic and consistent it is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not an issue. Normal settling of exhaust after expansion from driving.
The cool down will result in these pinging noises. I've heard it happen in every car I've driven for the past 20 yrs.
Thanks - I've heard them before in other cars, as well, but these are by a very wide margin the loudest I've ever heard, so I was concerned that there might be something else going on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts