SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 XC60 Inscription. T5 FWD. This is my 7th Volvo. Bought in May 2021. While I love the seats and interior, the highway ride quality of this car is hands down the worst of any car I've owned. After taking on a 2 week vacation in early September, the car exhibited a lot of vibration at highway speeds. It also started a moaning noise when applying the brakes, which turned into a severe vibration. The car also seemed to be very uneasy tracking true, it wanted to wander, especially on less than smooth surfaces. When I returned home, I took it to the dealer, they road force balanced and found one of the front tires to be way out of spec. They removed it from the rim, said it was defective and replaced with a new tire. The front brake rotors were very warped (was told this is a common issue??), they replaced the rotors. Around town, the car is mostly smooth and the brakes are good. But just got back from another trip, same thing at highway speeds, this car transmits every ripple in the road and still has vibration at speed.

So, what could it be? Defective tires (Conti Cross Contact LX Sport 20"), or something else? Or is this just a crappy highway ride car? At the point where I just want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues with the car. We picked up my wife's new 2021 XC60 Inscription T5 AWD the end of September. We have the same tires and wheels. We took it on a 600 mile round trip across Texas in October on state highways averaging 60-70 MPH on various road surfaces. I was quite surprised how comfortable the car rode and tracked on the highway. The visibility is also excellent all around. The Inscription nappa leather seats with the adjustable thigh extension weren't as comfortable as the plain seats in my V90CC - they seemed kind of lumpy in the seat. But I did enjoy the seat vent. Hopefully the dealer can pinpoint the problem with your vibration and fix it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You must have a problem. I have had the same car, same tires, but in AWD, for 6 months and have put 15K miles on it already. Most of the miles are highway miles, and at high speeds on Western freeways - 80 mph. Beautiful driving, exceptionally comfortable car in every respect (except for wandering Pilot Assist, which dealer corrected with latest software update). There has to be a problem of some sort with your car. I hope that your dealer can get it sorted out for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently purchased a xc60 r design (air suspension) as well.

While i share your opinion that the xc60 ride quality is avg in class at best. It certainly shouldnt be as bad as you're describing. I'd like to hope something is causing your problems. Im running on the 21 inch wheels and at highway speeds on decent pavement, the car runs very smoothly. Personally, its the small bumps and road imperfections that cause problems as the dampening in my car is subpar compared to Q5s, RXs etc.

Currently looking for alternative tires.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recently purchased a xc60 r design (air suspension) as well.

While i share your opinion that the xc60 ride quality is avg in class at best. It certainly shouldnt be as bad as you're describing. I'd like to hope something is causing your problems. Im running on the 21 inch wheels and at highway speeds on decent pavement, the car runs very smoothly. Personally, its the small bumps and road imperfections that cause problems as the dampening in my car is subpar compared to Q5s, RXs etc.

Currently looking for alternative tires.
This is what I've been thinking. Not sure I want to spend the money for new tires on a new car. Will see, going on another trip in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The only thing I can suggest would be a smaller wheel/taller profile tire combo.
Anyone wanting a "comfortable" ride from 20's on a small Volvo SUV is going to be terribly disappointed, regardless of the brand/model of tire.
Going with smaller wheels has helped me with all my previous cars (not only with Volvo's).

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
371 Posts
Keep pushing the dealer. What you're describing isn't normal. I have the 20's in AWD with air suspension and don't experience this at all. I actually have winter tires on right now in prep for the comin' snow but the roads and dry and at highway speeds I still have minimal vibration, in spite of the winter tires.

Push the dealer until they lemon it if they have to. Not normal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have them check to see if the car has the revised brake pads. There was a revised version released that has springs on the pad to help push it back out as to not warp the rotors or wear the pads quickly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You may want to try new tires or shocks. The vehicle is warrantied so any issues that need addressing should be fixed.

Did you buy it new, or lightly used? If it was not brand-new, you may want to look at the vehicle's history to see if it has had some kind of damage or improper repair.

I have driven not one but TWO XC60s from this generation, and both are exceptionally comfortable (Momentum with 18" wheels and Inscription with 20" wheels). If the dealer doesn't fix it the second time, take it elsewhere. I'm confident in the comfort level of Volvo and don't want to see your whole experience soured by this unfair annoyance!

Good luck, and most likely this issue can be tracked down and resolved. You deserve better!

Reactions: ScottNY

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shouldn't this really be as simple as dropping off the car and having them figure it out?

A simple "this is not how a new Volvo should be driving, please figure out what is wrong and don't return the car until its fixed". You shouldn't need to be the one diagnosing your own problem on a 2021 Volvo.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Another good idea - borrow an XC60 loaner and compare the ride. If you really hate it, maybe a different vehicle, or at least a different wheel/tire setup, is better for your taste.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a data point as I also have a 2021 XC60 Inscription T5 FWD with the same tires and wheels. Just passed 8000 miles having purchased it last December. I test drove other modern Volvos at the time - both used and new - including a new XC90, a new V90 and a used XC60 similar to the 21 I purchased. Except for the XC60 I purchased, I noticed vibration in the steering wheel on a few of the others. This is something I'm very sensitive to and it definitely informed my ultimate purchase decision. My suspicion is that all of these Volvos are extremely sensitive to any slight balancing or wheel issues (warped rims and brake problems). I suspect one these might be your issue.

On a side note, just having returned from a 1500 mile trip in my XC60, it drove great. No steering wheel vibrations, etc. Probably due to the 20" wheels plus firm suspension, the car is extremely sensitive to road surface. You can easily discern (noise and ride quality) riding on a very smooth road vs a road with any slight roughness in it at all. I have considered moving down to either a 19" or even 18" wheel for a softer ride BUT then I fear that the handling might suffer. My recent trip took me through the mountains and the XC60 with the 20" wheels handled the mountain curves amazingly well give the vehicle size, height, etc. I will note that even in this first 8000 miles, the suspension seems to have softened up just a bit. The ride was definitely more firm when the XC60 was brand new.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've been critical of the XC60's ride from day 1. It's stiff and unrefined and you can feel every imperfection in the road.

I have the base inscription suspension with the 20". I've driven the air suspension a few times and thought it made a real improvement. Also, I've only driven a T8 once so I have no idea whether the heavier PHEV has a more settled ride.

However, I never did care much about ride quality and the xc60 is still a fantastic vehicle overall. No vehicle is perfect and I see slightly below average ride quality as the Volvo's limitation. I'm about to lease another so I can't be too down on the ride!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a MY 21 XC 60. I like the ride quality.
As for the vibration problem, I did have same problem as front rotors were warped and had to be replace.
This isn't good for a vehicle one year old with less than 4000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wanted to update. I just moved from south Florida to North Carolina. On the drive up, I made a point to notice the road surfaces and compared to the feel of the car. Definitely noticed a difference in the vibration on different surfaces. The further north I got, the smoother the road got. Asphalt surfaces were the worst, concrete was way better, up to completely smooth and vibration free. I have to think it is the tires. Decided to have Polestar installed, will ditch the SUV/truck tires at the same time and put a set of Conti DWS on. I've put these tires on every car I've had since they were introduced with great success!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wanted to update. I just moved from south Florida to North Carolina. On the drive up, I made a point to notice the road surfaces and compared to the feel of the car. Definitely noticed a difference in the vibration on different surfaces. The further north I got, the smoother the road got. Asphalt surfaces were the worst, concrete was way better, up to completely smooth and vibration free. I have to think it is the tires. Decided to have Polestar installed, will ditch the SUV/truck tires at the same time and put a set of Conti DWS on. I've put these tires on every car I've had since they were introduced with great success!
Glad to hear it. Tires make a BIG difference. Best of luck to you in your moving process. And I hope the XC60 provides you more satisfaction going forward!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts