SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!!!!!

my car (2002 S60 T5) has become VERY dangerous, the thing wants to stall every time i dump the clutch to change gear or i stop at a juction & go into neutral (its M56 manual btw)

if i let it sit there & idle .... the revs seem to drop to 400rpm then bounce back up.??, if i try & steer while using no power, say if im rolling out of gear... the strain of the pump will cause the car to stall.??

the weird thing is if i remove the batt for an hour the problem vanishes for 2 or 3 days then returns again, & its only while idle if i apply power the problem goes..??

changed the plugs..... did not help

replaced the MAF (Bosch) did not help

checked as best i can for air leaks.... but i can hold a solid 12psi so im guessing there's no leak..

cant be the ETM as that will show itself right up ther rev range... mine only does it while idle, & my ETM was changed by volvo a few years back to the newer bosch unit...

it seems like its a poor spark, coilpack maybe... but there's no codes stored to support it.

the 'check engine' came on the other day & the only codes related to poor MAF signal (which i changed) & TCV signal too low (i have the IPD TCV which im sure is on its way out but after trying the OEM TCV the problem remains)

so..... what options do i have..??

o2 sensor maybe, faulty coilpack which wont throw a code..??

help....lol

:confused:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
this just happens at idle correct?-

·
Registered
543 Posts
Does the problem go away if you don't remove the battery?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the problem go away if you don't remove the battery?
sometimes if its playing up at night... in the morning the problem is gone... until the car warms up & the idle drops to 500rpm & below.??

is a remap my only way of raising the idle at operating temp..?? it should sit @ 700rpm but it dips far below that...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Sounds like ETM issues.

Maybe this will help??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like ETM issues.

Maybe this will help??

im sure its not the ETM.

this is the unit i have...

its been changed for the newer bosch unit...... it could still use a clean though, this is what i wanted to avoid.. getting these out of a T5 is a mission!!

what about the o2 sensor...?? could this cause poor idle..?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
well, there is a few things that make this kind of things, ETM, Camshaft reset valve, MAF or leak somewhere. If you have a newer ETM, clean it and see what happens.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sounds a little like your cat is falling apart which can cause blockage. How many miles?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, there is a few things that make this kind of things, ETM, Camshaft reset valve, MAF or leak somewhere. If you have a newer ETM, clean it and see what happens.
thanks.... i did think about air leaking, but my boost gauge reports a solid 12psi in 3rd WOT so i dismissed that as a possibility

the camshaft thing sound possible, when it gets bad coughing & spluttering it could be timing issue...??

Sounds a little like your cat is falling apart which can cause blockage. How many miles?
the car just rolled over to 140k.......

cats falling apart sounds expensive.... are they hard to remove/fit.??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ooh... i also forgot to mention..

when it gets really bad... it seems to misfire & my whole driveway fills with the smell of unburnt fuel..??

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Aftermarket cat's aren't too bad as you can generally cut out the old and weld in the new, plug in the o2 sensor and everything's happy. You could also get a aftermarket DP with a cat...nice little power increase too

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aftermarket cat's aren't too bad as you can generally cut out the old and weld in the new, plug in the o2 sensor and everything's happy. You could also get a aftermarket DP with a cat...nice little power increase too
a new exhaust is on the cards which is why im hoping its not the cat as i cant afford the new exhaust system just yet.. but i have to get it sorted before i apply my remap, if it is the cat plans will have to change slightly... i refuse to put another standard DP on... if its gotta come off ill fit an aftermarket one..

looks like im off to volvo for a diagnosis... at great cost no doubt.

·
Registered
543 Posts
*IF* it is the cat, you can give it a tap with your foot or a mallet and listen for anything rattling around inside.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
dk2? where do you leave? is there any emission to pass?.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dk2? where do you leave? is there any emission to pass?.
im in the UK...... yes we have emission's test on our yearly M.O.T.

it was a borderline pass last year, according to the spec sheet i was given.... so even if this problem is not related to the cat, i think the o2 sensors have had it...

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
my vote says coils and battery

often failing coils won't throw a code, and if your battery is failing along with it it'll exaggerate the bad coil effects. I'd replace the battery first, then if the issue gets better but doesn't go away check your coils.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my vote says coils and battery

often failing coils won't throw a code, and if your battery is failing along with it it'll exaggerate the bad coil effects. I'd replace the battery first, then if the issue gets better but doesn't go away check your coils.
the batt is a brand new bosch S4 096, fitted it 3 months ago..... i too was thinking a coilpack, when i recently changed my plugs i found one of the coils dripping in oil (from when i spilled it while topping up engine) i thought i cleared it all but when i took off the plastic cover i was wrong..

i was looking at the IPD coilpacks but i dont wanna drop cash on these if theyre not failing... is there anyway to test them..??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts