SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently bought an R this last spring and am loving it. However, the mechanical headlight adjustment does not bring the light beam high enough. It's so bad that I only get about 20-30ft illuminated in front of the car while in low beam. The high beam also seems to have poor performance and in my experience Volvo usually has great headlights. The previous owner mentioned something about Xenon lights when I bought it but I can't recall exactly what it was now.

Is there an electronic adjustment (I have a DICE unit)? Or could the bulbs be incorrect and not have the right length or positioning? Or is there already a thread about this?

Any help would be great!

Hugh

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Hello everyone,

I recently bought an R this last spring and am loving it. However, the mechanical headlight adjustment does not bring the light beam high enough. It's so bad that I only get about 20-30ft illuminated in front of the car while in low beam. The high beam also seems to have poor performance and in my experience Volvo usually has great headlights. The previous owner mentioned something about Xenon lights when I bought it but I can't recall exactly what it was now.

Is there an electronic adjustment (I have a DICE unit)? Or could the bulbs be incorrect and not have the right length or positioning? Or is there already a thread about this?

Any help would be great!

Hugh
You'll need a SUM calibration. If your R is extremely lowered you'll need to raise the rear end a bit as its sometimes out of spec for the computer. But put those adjustments back to where they were, otherwise you won't have any adjustment room left.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Before you do a SUM cal, you need to lower your light adjustments back down.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I am in the same boat. No VIDA DICE to do a SUM calibration, so mine are basically maxed out, and are better than before.

Sucks because I bought a cheap DICE unit and ended up getting tied up with school and such. About a year later tried to get VIDA set up on my XP laptop, that crapped out. Fixed the laptop another year later took a bit to get everything installed and running. Then had issues with the DICE unit connecting due to a faulty unit. Contacted company and they said it's fine but I can pay to have it fixed back in Hong Kong. Yeah no thanks lol.

Moral of the story, get a quality unit and get it working asap lol

·
Registered
861 Posts
Before you do a SUM cal, you need to lower your light adjustments back down.
To expand upon this, doing the SUM results in the lights aiming too low, so you need to manually adjust them up afterwards. If you do not adjust them down prior to the SUM, you will not have enough upward adjustment afterwards. So, adjust them down* prior to the SUM, then afterwards manually adjust them up.

* The lights need to be adjusted down a specific amount, which I can't remember offhand. Hopefully someone else will have that information.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've had this problem for the two years I've had my R

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info! I tried it once without adjusting it all the way down (adjusted to the mid travel) and then had to run. Didn't help but next chance I get, I'll adjust them all the way down and try again.

Hugh

·
Registered
861 Posts
I forgot to mention that you need to have the headlights turned on when performing the SUM calibration. Not sure if you were aware of that or not.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally managed to redo the Sum Cal with the light on and adjusted down and with the car on relatively level ground. However I received a Voltage too high from one of the rear struts. The calibration seem to have finished but lights did not change.

On a side note, when I plugged in the Dice and diagnosed before the sum cal, there was a left and right light fault saying the lights were not on but they were. Would adjusting them out of range cause this?

Any suggestions on what to do next? Would the Voltage too high in a strut cause the lights to not calibrate?

Thanks,
Hugh

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Using the manual adjuster messes things up. You need to mark where the adjuster was before ever touching it. Then do a sum cal. If your car is lowered you may need to use a jack on the rear end of the car. If you don't they will just point straight at the ground. Then after sum cal is performed you can use the manual adjusters a bit.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

1 - 10 of 10 Posts