SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to get the poly mounts, but I don't want a lot of vibration. My main reason for wanting to switch though is shifting... Does it go into gear smoother? Is it easier to downshift?

Please give me a solid review.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Want to get the poly mounts, but I don't want a lot of vibration. My main reason for wanting to switch though is shifting... Does it go into gear smoother? Is it easier to downshift?

I'm currently using both the Upper Engine and Lower Tranny Mount from IPD and along with the TWM Weighted Knob shifting has become a MUCH smoother thing to rifle through...yes you get more vibration but the pro of smoother shifting COMPLETELY throws the con of vibration out the door and around the corner.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
From my experience with poly mounts and bushings is yes you'll get a little vibration nothing off the wall and honeslty you may not even feel it. I just did the one on the engine mount and it made a world of difference over the rubber one. I've used them on sway bars and control arm stay bushings on my old 940 and they where 100x's better then the rubber ones everything just felt tighter and that I had more control and they lasted a lot longer.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Go poly.

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is really a question only you can answer. Sort of like how one person's sporty exhaust tone is another person's unbearably loud. Yes, the car shifts much better with the solid upper mount. No, you don't really notice any vibration at speed. Parking lots and stoplights are another story. The tradeoff is worth it for me, but I can see how it wouldn't be for a lot of people. It certainly makes the car feel less refined/luxurious driving around town because of the vibration at every stop. 5 cylinder engines are not inherently well balanced. The poly tranny/engine mounts on my inline 6 BMW don't cause nearly the vibration that the poly upper engine mount does on the V70. Fortunately for me, I thought the R was a little TOO refined/isolated when I got it, so I don't mind.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Poly > OEM :thumup:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
this is really a question only you can answer. Sort of like how one person's sporty exhaust tone is another person's unbearably loud. Yes, the car shifts much better with the solid upper mount. No, you don't really notice any vibration at speed. Parking lots and stoplights are another story. The tradeoff is worth it for me, but i can see how it wouldn't be for a lot of people. It certainly makes the car feel less refined/luxurious driving around town because of the vibration at every stop. 5 cylinder engines are not inherently well balanced. The poly tranny/engine mounts on my inline 6 bmw don't cause nearly the vibration that the poly upper engine mount does on the v70. Fortunately for me, i thought the r was a little too refined/isolated when i got it, so i don't mind.
yeah what he said!!!! Jump on the bandwagon!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I have the IPD upper poly mount, IPD blue billet strut bar conversion mounts, IPD poly tranny mount with power flex small poly bushing, and power flex rear poly bushing for the engine bar.

I suggest you do all of that...you feel the car so much more

Cons: gas mileage from wanting to floor it sooo much

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
^^^ Haha! Nice!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why is that mount not on your car Dougy?
Yeah, makes me wonder why you want to sell it lol

I don't have the money at the moment.. Just got some sport kit up in here.. Mounts are next.

Also, not really diggin' the black..

·
Registered
4,563 Posts

If your main interest is better shifting, just go with the hard poly transmission mount...
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5667/112766-polyurethane-transmission-torque-mount-bushing-hard
That will get rid of the slop in the soft OEM bushing and help with smoother shifting.
I got the QBM lower trans mount which is pretty much the same thing and it did slightly improve my shifting even though mu OEM bushing was still good.

You're going to get more of a small vibration in the cabin with poly engine stabilizer bar bushing. Then add that to the solid strut bar conversion kit, it gets pretty bad at idle but during driving it's not noticeable.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Why is that mount not on your car Dougy?
cause :D

Yeah, makes me wonder why you want to sell it lol

I don't have the money at the moment.. Just got some sport kit up in here.. Mounts are next.

Also, not really diggin' the black..
in was on XC90 for anout 10min. , it looks awesome on black engine-bay.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts