SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Technically a poly mount is an upgrade from the stock mount, either way. However, I believe the square mount is the new style.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have the round one, and the IPD replacement on the way. Anyone know how to remove the old one? The rubber in the middle of mine is no longer attached to the outer ring part...

I also ordered the Silicone strut bar bushings as well.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Hammer and chisel
It will pop right out if you tap it just right.

(As long as the rubber is attached at the top and bottom, the mount is still good. The front and rear part of the rubber is supposed to and does separate fairly quickly.
The stress points are at the top and bottom).

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
The rubber bushing is pressed into the aluminum housing. If you remove all the rubber so you have a hole, you can take a hacksaw blade and cut the plastic ring that is pressed in. It's not very thick so don't get carried away cutting the ring. Once it's cut it just pops out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hammer and chisel
It will pop right out if you tap it just right.

(As long as the rubber is attached at the top and bottom, the mount is still good. The front and rear part of the rubber is supposed to and does separate fairly quickly.
The stress points are at the top and bottom).
Yeah, it's totally gone, no longer attached at all. Found that out when I took it off to do the timing belt tensioner.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
the elevate square bushing is really nice. It will communicate vibration through your other worn bushings though. I got it because of iPDs laziness not to support the square mounts....absolutely no reason to change out a perfectly good piece of metal.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
the elevate square bushing is really nice. It will communicate vibration through your other worn bushings though. I got it because of iPDs laziness not to support the square mounts....absolutely no reason to change out a perfectly good piece of metal.
I bought the same and install was really easy. It does carry more vibration than stock but I have gotten used to it. I also did poly on the rear bushing on the cross bar and both tranny straps.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I used a hammer and flat head and just went around the edge of the bushing. Took about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
I bought the same and install was really easy. It does carry more vibration than stock but I have gotten used to it. I also did poly on the rear bushing on the cross bar and both tranny straps.
it carries more vibration because the old mount wasn't doing crap. mine was just wobbling around in the bracket loose.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
it carries more vibration because the old mount wasn't doing crap. mine was just wobbling around in the bracket loose.
I've been thinking about that and I think it's by design, to allow the engine to shift some before engaging the bushing, then letting the bushing's deformation carry more engine movement before eventually arresting. I could see the benefit.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I only feel the vibration when stopped but still in D.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Btw, rmorse showed me an awesome install trick to help reduce some of the vibration. If putting it on a GT s60, put the car in drive before tightening down the long bolt in the upper engine mount. This gets the engine in "position" for the least vibration. You'll still get some in park and reverse and while idling ~800rpms, but it's better than when I first did it.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
I only feel the vibration when stopped but still in D.
same here. And the vibration is pretty mild compared to my Saab with shot mounts.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I also installed by tightening the bolt while the car was in drive.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
that option was not (safely) available to me
C'mon, just lay some towels over the front of the bumper and find a wall. Then gently put it in drive until you bump it, go tighten your bolt down. Super easy!!

;) jk, of course

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the insights

Is Elevate the only company that has the square bushing? Is there another cheaper option that works just as well? If my current square mount isn't that worm should I just wait to replace it?

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
Thanks for the insights

Is Elevate the only company that has the square bushing? Is there another cheaper option that works just as well? If my current square mount isn't that worm should I just wait to replace it?
Elevate's is worth it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts