SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Would you install a single mass flywheel again if you had the choice?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of those who have gone with the single mass flywheel over the stock dual mass flywheel, would you do it again? If you could go back in time, would you still install the single mass given the experience driving it (including total experience, noise and all)?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Yes if you want performance.

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
no... it rattles like carzzy. when hot/warm i did not really notice any gains if anything its more jerky in lower rpm operation. sounds like you put bunch of marbles in a metal tin can and shake it. i am going to try thicker trans oil if that does not quiet it down im putting in a dmf..

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
I love mine. Certainly noticed the performance gains too.

The chatter isn't that annoying and it took me a day to adapt to the new shifting characteristics.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
no... it rattles like carzzy. when hot/warm i did not really notice any gains if anything its more jerky in lower rpm operation. sounds like you put bunch of marbles in a metal tin can and shake it. i am going to try thicker trans oil if that does not quiet it down im putting in a dmf..
Mine does not sound like that at all maybe you have some other issue with you transmission or something.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Mine rattles like a bunch of spray paint cans and I still love it. If I had not been warned about it and found out after the fact I would have been pissed. Knowing what to expect going in made a difference.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Here's a video that gives a pretty good idea of how it sounds. It's not terrible, really, I've been in a car (many times) that has a lightweight flywheel and from my experience you get used to it. It's only really bad at idle and low speeds. Different engine mounts will determine how much you hear it in the car, so if you've got stock mounts in good condition you won't hear it too much. If you've got all poly mounts, especially connected to the transmission, it will be louder inside of the car.

START AT 1 minute

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Seems there's a good amount of us in the NE area with SMFs. When were you planning on doing the clutch/flywheel? Maybe a meet is in order?

Though, without the summer heat, the really bad rattles won't be heard.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a SMF and it's not that crazy. I only hear a little bit as if your drivin in a higher gear when your not suppose to. I'm happy with mine.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm...so seems like it's a 60% yes, 40% no split so far. I'm not in any particular rush to replace my DMF, but it is making louder and louder knocking sounds at idle, so it may need to happen sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Hmm...so seems like it's a 60% yes, 40% no split so far. I'm not in any particular rush to replace my DMF, but it is making louder and louder knocking sounds at idle, so it may need to happen sooner rather than later.
If one has a loud exhaust, enough to drone in the cabin and prevent normal conversation, then one will not be bothered by the sound of a SMF. I think that's a good way to think about it. That goes for everyone.

Even just a moderately loud exhaust will overpower the chatter. Also, if you listen to music somewhat loudly most of the time, then you too will not be bothered. I personally don't really care if it chatters at all, worst thing is that it will just sound like a diesel.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If one has a loud exhaust, enough to drone in the cabin and prevent normal conversation, then one will not be bothered by the sound of a SMF. I think that's a good way to think about it. That goes for everyone.

Even just a moderately loud exhaust will overpower the chatter. Also, if you listen to music somewhat loudly most of the time, then you too will not be bothered. I personally don't really care if it chatters at all, worst thing is that it will just sound like a diesel.
I agree 100%. With all the weird sounds and vibrations my R puts out I have gotten use to them all. So this would be no different for me.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Mine rattles like a bunch of spray paint cans and I still love it. If I had not been warned about it and found out after the fact I would have been pissed. Knowing what to expect going in made a difference.
You hv single mass fly wheel! When can I come over and see lol

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Assuming the diameter of the flywheel in the R is the same as the diameter of the clutch disc (228 mm), and using the calculations in this link: http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/m5_flywheel.pdf (provided in another thread by dave_n_ruth), the following numbers reflect the virtual weight savings and HP for the spec single mass flywheel in the R compared to stock:

First Gear = 93 lbs = 9.3 HP
Second Gear = 40 lbs = 4 HP
Third Gear = 23.6 lbs = 2.4 HP
Fourth Gear = 17.2 lbs = 1.7 HP
Fifth Gear = 13.9 lbs = 1.4 HP
Sixth Gear = 11.9 lbs = 1.2 HP

Note: the foregoing numbers are based on the following:

The HP calculation is based on the rule of thumb that 10 lbs = 1 HP.

Viva lists weight of stock DM flywheel at 26.1 lbs and the weight of the spec SM flywheel at 17.75 lbs

These are the gear ratios and final drive ratios that I found listed on swedespeed:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?102310-MT-Gear-Ratios

1st 3.38:1
2nd 2.05:1
3rd 1.43:1
4th 1.09:1
5th 0.87:1
6th 0.70:1
Final drive ratio 3.77:1

The tire size that I used was 235/40R18.

Since the equation for the "virtual" weight/performance increase is a function of the square of the ratio of the radius of the flywheel to the radius of the tires, obviously any error in the assumed diameter of the flywheel will have a large impact on the calculations.

NOTE: Most of the above was taken from the discussion in this thread, which discusses dave_n_ruths SMF installation and first impressions: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?156254-Viva-Single-Mass-Flywheel

1 - 20 of 21 Posts