Votes: 24 45.3%
  • 8 - 2 + 3 + 3

Votes: 7 13.2%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to get some idea how people prefer the seat configuration in a SUV. To be practical, not the more the better way. :)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I actually like 2 + 2 + 3 seats. But 3 seats on 3rd row is not yet practical in a mid-size SUV.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think Volvo should offer the 5 seats option globally. I prefer having more legroom in the 2nd row to having 2 additional seats that I barely use.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think Volvo should offer the 5 seats option globally. I prefer having more legroom in the 2nd row to having 2 additional seats that I barely use.
Totally agree. With 5-seat T6 Volvo could sell at least 10k more XC90 a year in US. They will have to add it to target 800k cars a year sales.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I mentioned this before, but I used to have a 2+2+2 configuration and it was great with my 4 kids. They could get in and out without my assistance. However after a while it became very limiting, I couldn't squeeze one more person in, and the storage space was very limited. I much prefer the 2+3+2 configuration now, especially with the built-in booster. I can flip one seat down in the back to get more room if I need it and still fit everyone in comfortably.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Pilot has 2+3+3 and is the same size as the XC90.
I like the 2+3+3 as well but I think the Pilot is larger, isn't it?

I don't expect Volvo to add a center seat in the third row due to how much work they put into crash testing but adding a third row to the upcoming XC90 T5 is low hanging fruit.

Come on Volvo, make this happen!

oh yeah, and Pilot Assist update to the S90 spec :hijack: ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
The only way 2+3+3 works is in a full size SUV like a Yukon. I had the older Pilot and that 3rd seat in the 3rd row was basically unusable. I have skinny kids and even without the car seats (not legal) it was useless.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I like the 2+3+3 as well but I think the Pilot is larger, isn't it?
I stand corrected, they are the same size! I guess its a testament to the XC90 feeling smaller than it is. I've driven the older Pilot and it felt like driving a HMMWV and I don't mean that as compliment. Hopefully for the new Pilot feels better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd much prefer a 2+2 setup. I have a first generation Equus in Korea and it has the 2+2 setup. The rear outer seats are larger and more comfortable than the usual 2+3 setup seen in most sedans.

If I could have gotten an XC90 Excellence with the 2+2 setup, I would have bought it instead.

·
Registered
66 Posts
would be nice if they made a version where the 2nd row middle seat is removable, with the outer seats in the 2nd row having foldable armrests. This way you can transform it to either 2 + 3 + 2, or 3 rows with captains seats in the 2nd row ( with easy access to 3rd row ). I wanna have my cake and eat it too! ;)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I stand corrected, they are the same size! I guess its a testament to the XC90 feeling smaller than it is. I've driven the older Pilot and it felt like driving a HMMWV and I don't mean that as compliment. Hopefully for the new Pilot feels better.
Interesting. I have the opposite perspective -- it's a testament to the Pilot that it achieves more usable space from the same size car. Anyway, very different cars overall and the Pilot can't touch the Volvo on styling.

·
Banned
763 Posts
^ I preferred the previous boxy Pilot to the new egg-shaped Pilot. Definitely think the new XC90 looks better than the new Pilot.

I voted for 8, just because I think being able to fit 8 in a pinch is really ideal. That said, in a 7-seater, I prefer 2-2-3 to 2-3-2, because the space in the 2nd row makes for easier access to the 3rd row, especially with kids (because if you've got car seats, the last thing you want to do is to have to remove them each time you need 3rd row access).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
^ I preferred the previous boxy Pilot to the new egg-shaped Pilot. Definitely think the new XC90 looks better than the new Pilot.

I voted for 8, just because I think being able to fit 8 in a pinch is really ideal. That said, in a 7-seater, I prefer 2-2-3 to 2-3-2, because the space in the 2nd row makes for easier access to the 3rd row, especially with kids (because if you've got car seats, the last thing you want to do is to have to remove them each time you need 3rd row access).
I agree. I hated the boxy design when I first got it but it grew on me. The new version looks like a mini-van. I have no stigma against mini-vans -- we now one -- but it just didn't seem like the right design choice for the Pilot. I feel like the boxy design was love-it-ot-hate-it and they over-reacted to the critics on it. In any event, my old boxy Pilot seated 8 and took up less space in our garage than the Volvo. It also stored much more on trips, got comparable gas mileage on standard fuel, and definitely didn't feel bigger driving. All that said, I don't miss actually driving it compared to the Volvo which is so much smoother.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts