SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying a 2017 XC60 T6, I am wondering if you guys feel that the polestar upgrade would be worth it? Have any of you done it, does it make much of a difference?.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I would say most that have it say it's worth it...... But is it worth it to you? Drive one with and without and I think you'll be sold. Remember you have 30 days to roll it back and get your money back if you don't like it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am in the process of buying a 2017 XC60 T6, I am wondering if you guys feel that the polestar upgrade would be worth it? Have any of you done it, does it make much of a difference?.
Hilton tuning has a tune for it that's a good bit cheaper. I was going to add Polestar to my 2012 XC60 T6 but I have over 200,000 miles and the addition was going to be $1,250 so I quickly decided it wasn't for me. Oh well. Explore all your options.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
While the Polestar tune is a pretty mild bump in power, it does improve the driving experience and makes it a good bit faster. I asked about the Polestar tune before I took delivery of my used 2011 S60 T6 and they were willing to offer it for I believe $1,000 and I had them roll it into my payment plan. If you can finance the tune it will be a negligible additional monthly cost for one of the more substantial bang for your buck upgrades on these cars, especially if you plan to leave it otherwise stock. These are heavy vehicles and every bit of power helps, plus the P* tune makes the transmission more responsive and less slushy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While the Polestar tune is a pretty mild bump in power, it does improve the driving experience and makes it a good bit faster. I asked about the Polestar tune before I took delivery of my used 2011 S60 T6 and they were willing to offer it for I believe $1,000 and I had them roll it into my payment plan. If you can finance the tune it will be a negligible additional monthly cost for one of the more substantial bang for your buck upgrades on these cars, especially if you plan to leave it otherwise stock. These are heavy vehicles and every bit of power helps, plus the P* tune makes the transmission more responsive and less slushy.

$1000 seems like a good price, when I looked online it said $1495.
Is $1000 the standard price?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

I believe ~$1500 is the standard price but there’s some wiggle room in that price and dealerships have been known to offer sales or drop the price with some negotiating.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
About 6 months ago, my dealer had a $1000 special they tried to sell me on. I declined, as I can find a lot better things to do with $1000 in my pocket. My car is a utilitarian object. I enjoy driving it, do my best to take care of it, but it's not a sports car. So handling and responsiveness are "optional". Meaning plenty absolutely love and swear by the polestar tune (never tried), so there's enough benefit to give it a second thought.

Is it worth getting the polestar tune? Only you and your pocket book can decide that one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am a relatively new owner of a CPO 2017 XC60 T6 R-Design and I got the Polestar tune about a week ago. Given that I barely had the car for 2 weeks when I decided to get the tune, I really don't have much of a "baseline" to compare it. That said, I am a very spirited driver, but by no means a gearhead. So I try to get every bit of improved performance possible by doing as little work as possible. That is why I got the Polestar tune as I personally justified the $1250 price tag and the fact that it doesn't mess with the warranty or anything. The most noticeable improvement for me is the off-throttle response, holding the lower gear even with your foot off the gas pedal, just waiting for you to hit the gas again and will have plenty of torque ready to go without having to wait for a downshift. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, it's obviously a personal call as to whether it is "worth it". Improvement in performance is subjective just as is the cost and its dent to your pocketbook.

FWIW - I also own a 2017 BMW M240i xDrive and I spent $200 on a plug-n-play ECU chip (BMS JB+) and it adds significantly more HP and torque over baseline than Polestar. But, personally, I am still happy with Polestar and don't regret the purchase.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealer quoted me $1395 and said it was a "special" so I guess $1000 was a good deal.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The dealer quoted me $1395 and said it was a "special" so I guess $1000 was a good deal.
I’m not 100% positive I paid $1,000. It was in that range though.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Take your car in for an oil change or regular maintenance, then ask the manager for a deal on the Polestar upgrade. It only takes them 15-30 minutes so there’s a good chance you’ll get a discount. That’s what I did and it was under $1000. The difference was immediately noticeable and it was worth it. The throttle and gear changes are much more responsive and there is a little more power. There was no keychain as in past years and they left the box and certificate on the floor without comment. They also installed the badge incorrectly, so I ended up buying another one and installing it myself.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just had it installed and love the way the car behaves in both Comfort mode and Polestar mode. I know that my car is a 2020, but I am assuming that it would behave somewhat similar in a 2010-2017. My dealers regular price is $1450, I got them to lower the price to $1295, and then used a promo code Volvo sent me, XPSTAR300, for an additional $300 off. It is good until the end of the year according to the email they sent me. I know its still a lot of money, but I was very impressed with the cars improved shifting and general feel.

Reactions: sp123

·
Registered
426 Posts
Re the OP... from what I've read here, the tune is worth it in terms of being noticeable. If I were into it, I'd spend the $1000 for it. I'm in the market of a S60 T6 AWD but at this point it wouldn't matter much to be; there are other things that would. And that brings me to the next question:

Are there "factory", off the floor Volvos with the Polestar tune, or are these considered optional, available at the dealer? If the former, how can you tell one apart from the other?

·
Registered
426 Posts
To expand a bit on the whole "upgrade worth it" notion. I've been an avid MTB-er (Mountain Biking) for like 20 years now. I know there was a phase when I was crazy about saving weight on my bicycles and I'd spend hundreds of dollars on expensive parts just to save an ounce or two in weight. Very silly! Very dumb. However... saving the ounce or two wasn't really what mattered - it was the whole experience: researching the parts, finding better deals, running off ideas with friends, showing off etc to the point of obsession (which I call passion). I believe this passion/obsession is more evident in men (hate to be a sexist here!) and it's something we do. It's the experience, the thrill, the feeling that you know a bit more than the average driver/rider whatever and that you've gone a bit further than the next guy who just dumped more cash and got better without even knowing what he got.

In the past 5 years I only remember one single time I felt embarrassed of not having extra power in my T5: I was at a stop light, hesitated to turn right on red and the guy behind me jumped on the horn. I looked to make sure I was fine to turn and I did. The guy behind me turned too into the left lane, floored it and passed me like I was a fly or something. Oh I floored it too but I was no match to whatever model that MB was. My friend was in the passenger seat. I felt embarrassed. And that's it. I think it was a 500 SL and I'll never know if I had a T6 with Polestar tune that I'll be a match to that car. So with that in mind, is spending the $1000 on an upgrade worth it? No. But as I said, it's about the entire experience.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
In simpler terms, it all comes down to whether you want to save money or optimize your driving experience, because these vehicles drive better with the tune than without. If you want to enjoy your time in the car more, it’s a shame to waste all those miles driving a lesser vehicle when greater enjoyment is a reflash away.

It’s not a huge jump in power on its own but the driving characteristics of the car improve substantially and it *is* faster. Unfortunately it’s not a great value in terms of power per dollar, and these cars aren’t nearly as cost effective to mod as most other turbocharged cars. But mods do make for a much better driving experience in the aggregate, and a tune is the biggest change you’ll likely to see in your car’s performance. More specifically, my 2011 S60 T6 ran a 13.2 quarter mile completely stock other than the P* tune. That’s a whole lot better than it would have run without. A few additional modifications and it currently runs 12.9s.

So while the bang for the buck is mediocre, the bang is still pretty decent, and I enjoy driving the car much more every day.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think another thing to consider is how long do you plan on keeping the car. If it is just for a couple years it may not be worth it. For me, I generally keep my vehicles for 18-20 years (if I am happy with them and they are reliable) so I had the P* tune done on my 2011 RD several years ago and have no regrets.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a '14 T6 with polestar now. I had my car for about 2 years and then decided to get it added. I paid around $1,200.00 for it but took some negotiating. The benefits that I saw immediately were I now have to feather the gas pedal as it will take off like a rocket ship. I myself was in your shoes and everyone on here is correct is the cost worth it to you. Also, after a while now I am in month 3 of having the polestar upgrade but as other have stated you get used to it. My gas mileage has not changed and it's peppy!

My best description is someone the software makes the SUV feel 300 pounds lighter and at times you can hear the turbo spool up and spshhh (the sound the turbo makes).

Enjoy if you get it and if you do not no biggy!

·
Registered
2010 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design
43 Posts
I’m not 100% positive I paid $1,000. It was in that range though.
What a great price nonetheless.
I remember calling up volvo dealers near me to price out the P* tune and one quoted $1800 PLUS TAX! Needless to say I shopped elsewhere.
Jealous of you other guys with dealers that offer good pricing on everything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To bring this full circle, I ended up getting, they charged me $1449, so no great deal, but from what most of you said, I should enjoy it, and rolling it into the loan it's like $25 a month.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok another basic question here, obviously this car does not have a drive mode wheel, is the Polestar always on or is there a way to turn it on and off?.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts