SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I called IPD and they have no idea on this. Anyone? I'm thinking of getting the IPD. Seems cheaper and more powerful.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
You may get a slightly more aggressive tune from iPd but it will not be covered by any warranty other than their own.

Go to a Volvo store and ask if you can drive a new or demo C70 with the Inscription package and see what you think of the Polestar flash.

·
Registered
130 Posts
To read about Polestar tuning for Volvos , including the 2009 C70 go to www.polestar.se. The site is a little awkward to use but you can check out the "gains" etc. for every model that it is available on. e.g. 2009 C70 HP 227 to 250, Torque 236 ft lbs. to 273 ft. lbs . Canadian $ 1,250 from any Volvo dealership here in Canada.

Howdy, this is my first post. Lots of great stuff on these forums !

·
Registered
130 Posts
By the way I checked out Polestar and went with IPD just this past August. Just a "family" car.....2007 S60 2.5T , but now a lot more fun to drive ! Also went with front and back IPD swaybars and just yesterday IPD HD TCV and CBV, still haven't been out to test the gains from the TCV and CBV.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If you're under warranty, go with Polestar. It's covered by Volvo. Could be worth it's weight in gold if your engine goes BOOM later on and under warranty. You could be coughing up the coin for the repairs if they find our you're tuned by IPD.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
If you're under warranty, go with Polestar. It's covered by Volvo. Could be worth it's weight in gold if your engine goes BOOM later on and under warranty. You could be coughing up the coin for the repairs if they find our you're tuned by IPD.
Whether you are under warranty or not, Polestar will be warranted by a Volvo retailer...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
No argument here, the warranty issue is a major consideration especially for you guys with the newer vehicles, mine's a 2007 with just under 30,000 miles and still "certified" for another year due to low mileage. It's an indvidual decision for sure, IPD, RICA, Elevate etc is not for everyone.

Interestingly enough I started by looking into Polestar at the dealership and it was my service manager, who I have dealt with for over 20 years and three Volvos, that recommended that I look into IPD for the ECU Flash Tune. IPD has been in business since 1963 and doing flash tunes since 1994. I'm a real conservative guy (50 something accountant) known for reseaching every purchase to death. IPD is well known for excellent product, great customer support, excellent reviews and customer feedback. Anyways, I having loads of fun for $725 going from 208 to 245 HP and 236 to 310 ft.lbs. torque. The laws may be different in the states, here your fundamental warranties can't be summarily dismissed just because you "modded" your vehicle.

For me it works, I just wanted a little extra boost in my back pocket, by no means am I a racer. Just want a little extra under the hood because up here they are car crazy. Use to be a 911 would get you a look, not anymore the new standard is Maserati, Aston Martin DB2, Ferrari etc. BMWs, Audis and Mercedes are everyday transportation LOL. Not trying to compete with them, just trying to keep up a bit before being kicked to the curb !

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
No doubt about iPd's offerings (see my signature).
However, the advantage of something supported by the manufacturer (Polestar) is something that cannot be discounted especially on a car just out of warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too am considering the pros and cons of IPD's flash tune. Before going ahead with the reflash, IPD recommends that the car be given a "Stage Zero" preparation. The list is taken directly from this link: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4669/112072-ipd-soft-loader-engine-managment-flash-tune

Stage ZERO Tuning List:

Air, fuel and oil filter service
Trans fluid flush
Inspect & replace vacuum lines and IC piping rubber
Upgrade to silicone hoses where possible
Test / replace 02 sensors
Verify proper fuel flow using a fuel pressure tester and replace fuel pumps if needed
Clean / replace injectors
Clean intercooler / intercooler plumbing
Compression and cylinder leak down test

Can anyone with Polestar tuning tell me if this list is carried out? My main concern being the silicone hose exchange. An additional $500-$600 in silicon intercooler hoses is worth considering...

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Polestar does no have such requirements.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you go on the IPD website they recommend the "Stage Zero" prep if you have over 50,000 miles. I did mine this past August without performing the Stage Zero but I have less than 30,000 miles on my 2007 S60 2.5T. I have always taken mine in for scheduled maintenance at the dealership plus I also checked with the service manager (who incidentally referred me to IPD for the tune) and he advised "with your low mileage and regular maintenance history don't bother with the Stage Zero". The only silicone hoses I've replaced are the three vacuum lines when I changed over to the IPD HD TCV recently.

As Grecian Volvo said earlier, if you're still under warranty you probably should consider Polestar, but IPD was right for me and I'm lovin it !

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Stage Zero isn't something you need before applying a chip tune. It's simple a "tune up" done before making any significant performance modifications so that those modifications can be measured better and so that you benefit most from them. Even if you aren't doing any modifications, a Stage Zero tune up is always good for the car if you're getting weak performance compared to when the car was newer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been able to dig up links to dyno charts for what appears to be 2.5 liter turbo Volvo engines, and it looks like Polestar delivers its maximum torque at 2000 RPM vs. around 3000 RPB for the IPD.

Here's the link to the Polestar dyno: [scroll down to msg #7]

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...le-on-MY2008-C30-S40-amp-C70.-V50-Coming-Soon.

Here's the link to the IPD dyno:

http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/images_newsletters/18.PDF

I'm not sure that the IPD ECU upgrade is even available, but it's still relevant for me because I currently have the IPD tune and have been unsatisfied with its low end grunt.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Just as an FYI, *some* of the Polestar charts are available on their site. Just click Performance and choose a vehicle.

edit: My mistake - they are NOT all there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm with you on this. If you are on an EXTENDED warranty, you might want to check with Polestar directly and see if it has an impact. IPD may or may not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts