SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still nothing concrete but looks like Polestar is going hybrid for S90/V90.

http://insideevs.com/polestar-versions-plug-hybrid-volvo-s90-v90-works/

Volvo CEO Håkan Samuelsson said:

“How we bring the brand to market is open, but one way we are definitely looking at is for Polestar to focus on electrification.”

Volvo’s R&D chief Peter Mertens revealed the following to Autocar:

“Polestar will still be sophisticated performance; it’s not just a case of doing a ‘boy racer’ by dropping a big engine in there. Hybrid power is the direction that Polestar will go in. In a way, Tesla has legitimised electric performance, although Polestar will be more sophisticated again. We want to be able to offer high performance without regrets.”

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
This was said at the same time as those Car and Driver and Motor Trend articles, so it's not exactly anything new. The next P* car coming out is the 2017 S/V60 P* and it will not be hybrid, so we will see what the future really holds.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
No where in that article did Volvo say they were looking at a Polestar S90/V90. The usual media folly to get web page hits.

I would expect there will be Polestar performance tuning across the SPA/CMA platforms in the future, just like how it currently is with the outgoing platforms. As for "Polestar" editions, I agree with P50GT the new S60/V60 SPA will be the likely next candidate for this.

This is the news and rumors forum, so I'm speculating here.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My opinion. Volvo will introduce the 90 series Polestar "just" as an upgrade T8 hibrid version with cca. 450 hp. Next full Polestar model I expected as S/V60 with new three turbo engine with something between 400-450 hp without electric power.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My opinion. Volvo will introduce the 90 series Polestar "just" as an upgrade T8 hibrid version with cca. 450 hp. Next full Polestar model I expected as S/V60 with new three turbo engine with something between 400-450 hp without electric power.
Could anyone explain, how is it possible to make a sporty car from a hybrid car which is originally a FWD?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
No where in that article did Volvo say they were looking at a Polestar S90/V90. The usual media folly to get web page hits.

I would expect there will be Polestar performance tuning across the SPA/CMA platforms in the future, just like how it currently is with the outgoing platforms. As for "Polestar" editions, I agree with P50GT the new S60/V60 SPA will be the likely next candidate for this.

This is the news and rumors forum, so I'm speculating here.
I wasn't even talking about a SPA S/V60. I'm simply talking about the next version of our car that comes out in a couple of months with the Drive-E engine and 370-380hp. This is the car that P* is currently working on. It was talked about in this article, http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/27/volvo-polestar-racing-feature/. The current platform cannot support the T8 setup, so there is not debate that it won't be there. It also will not have the Triple boost motor that is still in development and once again, not confirmed for production.

Could anyone explain, how is it possible to make a sporty car from a hybrid car which is originally a FWD?
No, that's why the only people who think it's a good idea are the one's who don't drive performance cars and just look at numbers on paper.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
The S60 Polestar was much sporty also due to more rear drive Haldex settings. I do not know if electric rare axe can do the same.
It's not just "more" rear drive, our cars can send 100% of the torque to the rear wheels. The answer to your statement about the electric rear axle, is absolutely not with Volvo's setup. Currently the P*'s can send 100% of their torque to the rear wheels, which based on multiple dyno runs is over 400 ft-lbs (~360 at the wheels). The T8's e-motor produces a whopping 177 ft-lbs of torque. Unless Volvo magically sources some Hi-po e-motors and figures out how to fit bigger batteries to allow their constant use, it's a no go for a performance car. Then you have to deal with all the extra weight. Sounds like a poor solution all around. Full electric or full gas are better packages.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I wasn't even talking about a SPA S/V60. I'm simply talking about the next version of our car that comes out in a couple of months with the Drive-E engine and 370-380hp. This is the car that P* is currently working on. It was talked about in this article, http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/27/volvo-polestar-racing-feature/. The current platform cannot support the T8 setup, so there is not debate that it won't be there. It also will not have the Triple boost motor that is still in development and once again, not confirmed for production.
Ok, I found your reference in that article:
"Dahlgren, who is working on next year's V60 and S60 Polestars that will switch from the 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder to the 2.0-liter Drive-E four-cylinder, said things are even better now. "It's still a small project, almost quicker because we're not Polestar coming to Volvo saying, 'Can we have this,' 'Can we do that;' now it's Volvo saying 'We'd like that,' and they say 'Oh yes, here you go.'" He's says the new V60 Polestar arriving early next year will be different "in a lot of areas," and said that more advanced base of the new Drive-E engine will deliver an even better, more high-tech car."

We will have to wait to see what they deliver for the 2017 Polestar models.

·
Registered
335 Posts
All Polestar model will be awd and not fwd, just like the current models S/V60 and I think that all new Polestar from Volvo won't be proper sport cars like amg, M, 911,... they will be high performance and that is it, if you want more (more power, rwd, hardcore suspension...) look for some another car.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ok, I found your reference in that article:
"Dahlgren, who is working on next year's V60 and S60 Polestars that will switch from the 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder to the 2.0-liter Drive-E four-cylinder, said things are even better now. "It's still a small project, almost quicker because we're not Polestar coming to Volvo saying, 'Can we have this,' 'Can we do that;' now it's Volvo saying 'We'd like that,' and they say 'Oh yes, here you go.'" He's says the new V60 Polestar arriving early next year will be different "in a lot of areas," and said that more advanced base of the new Drive-E engine will deliver an even better, more high-tech car."

We will have to wait to see what they deliver for the 2017 Polestar models.
That means there is going to be another P* S/V60 of the CURRENT generation?! Because the new generation will only arrive late in 2017 at earliest...

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I was referring to model year, not calendar year. The P*'s currently on dealer lots are 2016 models. Hence the next model year to be released is 2017.

·
Registered
196 Posts
All Polestar model will be awd and not fwd, just like the current models S/V60 and I think that all new Polestar from Volvo won't be proper sport cars like amg, M, 911,... they will be high performance and that is it, if you want more (more power, rwd, hardcore suspension...) look for some another car.
They are awd, but the rear axle is driven by the electric engine.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
P* is already building a true sports car with a more "hardcore" suspension setup than anything AMG or M is doing. The Ohlins dampers on our cars is shared by one other production car, the Aventador and P* says our system is even more finely tuned. "Bååth said the Öhlins on the Polestars are more refined than those on the Lamborghini Aventador – the only other production road car to use Öhlins – and Polestar builds the shocks and uprights itself."

Our current cars already are also rear biased AWD. Volvo did not buy P* to go backwards.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
They are awd, but the rear axle is driven by the electric engine.
You are wrong, current Polestar S/V60 are awd without any electric engine and as I sad, I think that next generation S/V60 P will be same awd as current models are so without electric engine.
That what you sad is in my eyes reserved for 90 series, so hybrid "Polestar" and here is maximum what we can expected a little power boost on actual T8, maybe 430-450 hp.

·
Registered
335 Posts
P* is already building a true sports car with a more "hardcore" suspension setup than anything AMG or M is doing. The Ohlins dampers on our cars is shared by one other production car, the Aventador and P* says our system is even more finely tuned. "Bååth said the Öhlins on the Polestars are more refined than those on the Lamborghini Aventador – the only other production road car to use Öhlins – and Polestar builds the shocks and uprights itself."

Our current cars already are also rear biased AWD. Volvo did not buy P* to go backwards.
You are optimist. I think next P S/V60 will compete with 340iM, C400, XE-F,... and I hope that power boost for 90 series T8 could mach with E500, 550i, GS-F and that is more than welocome for Volvo.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You are wrong, current Polestar S/V60 are awd without any electric engine and as I sad, I think that next generation S/V60 P will be same awd as current models are so without electric engine.
That what you sad is in my eyes reserved for 90 series, so hybrid "Polestar" and here is maximum what we can expected a little power boost on actual T8, maybe 430-450 hp.
I meant Polestar version of T8, not current S60 Polestar.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts