SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about how great it was and talking to a few people, I had the Polestar upgrade done on my 2018 V60 AWD yesterday.

Uh, is the upgrade what you might call a case of the "emperor has no clothes on"?

Except for possibly a difference in acceleration, I didn't notice any of the claimed holding of the gear going around turns or any of the other cool features. And AFAICT, there is no way short of hooking the car up to a VIDA system that as an end user I can tell if more than a sticker on the back was actually installed.

Plus, there is no user documentation for the upgrade.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
The P* upgrade on anything other than the 3.0 liter 6 cyl. is pretty underwhelming. You get a few hp and mostly torque upgrades. Sorry to hear you're disappointed!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Gift for you: https://engineered.polestar.com/intl/upgrades/model-selector/

What I heard (did no put $1.5k for this) is that
-torque is slightly better
-HP are increase (not in Peak) but rather between 2 to 6000 rpm
-gear selection was smoother
After that, I think this is a Placebo and most of the people in T5 2.0 went through a ECU programming (Hilton and other)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had my car for more than 6 months before I did the upgrade so it was easier to feel the difference. If you're hammering it from a stop light there's maybe a little more power/torque with P* but the biggest difference I found was the torque available in the mid range in regular driving, it seems to pull much more readily and the gear shift points feel more intuitive. I posted some other thoughts a while back on the improved efficiency...

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...g-Polestar-Tune-from-T6&p=7381077#post7381077

If you want a bunch more performance from the T6 Drive-E you're going to need more modifications than just the P*.

EDIT: Also, I believe there's a satisfaction guarantee on the software so if you really don't think it was worth it you can get a refund (probably minus the shop time).

·
Registered
187 Posts
it's expensive for the final result, I myself have a V60 D5 AWD 215ch which is upgraded to Polestar 230ch, I already tried a V60 D5 without the upgrade and I did not feel a real difference

·
Registered
603 Posts
it's expensive for the final result, I myself have a V60 D5 AWD 215ch which is upgraded to Polestar 230ch, I already tried a V60 D5 without the upgrade and I did not feel a real difference
On the D5 or D*, the difference is very noticeable
Same in US for the T6 3.0
However, for the 2.0 (T5/T6), there is a slight improvement in term of torque in mid range as PostmanPat mention...aside from that, too expensive for this IMHO.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I think this also depends on the country and possible fuel rating system.

The T5 in Australia actually gets a power bump of 13hp (240-253). The US has no difference in power.

The T6 also shows a different amount. They are both 4 HP increases, but the Aus version starts at a higher base (302-306 US, 306-310 Aus)

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think this also depends on the country and possible fuel rating system.

The T5 in Australia actually gets a power bump of 13hp (240-253). The US has no difference in power.

The T6 also shows a different amount. They are both 4 HP increases, but the Aus version starts at a higher base (302-306 US, 306-310 Aus)
That's more to do with measurement systems than with any actual difference in power.

Believe it or not, there are several different standards for measuring horsepower and all give slightly different ratings. On top of that, the US uses Imperial horsepower (745.7 Watts = 1 Imperial horsepower) while Australia uses metric horsepower (735.5 Watts = 1 metric horsepower). This difference means that metric horsepower will be about 1.3% higher than US horsepower.

Taking the US rating of 302 horsepower and multiplying by 1.013 gives us 305.92 metric horsepower, which explains the Australian "306" horsepower rating.

·
Registered
696 Posts
We use Kilowatts, so trying to get it back to HP is weird for me anyway

The conversion may account for the T6 base measurement, but what does it mean for the T5 which shows the increase vs the US which shows no difference?

·
Registered
720 Posts
We use Kilowatts, so trying to get it back to HP is weird for me anyway

The conversion may account for the T6 base measurement, but what does it mean for the T5 which shows the increase vs the US which shows no difference?
Could simply be different measurement standards, or it could be a legitimate difference in turning. It may be that different emissions laws are limiting for the turbo-only T5 in ways that they aren't for the twincharged T6.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If we look at the Kilowatts

6 kw increase for a Drive E T5
3 kw increase for a Drive E T6
18 kw increase for a SI6 T6

6 kw is hard to notice, im sure 3 kw is even harder.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If we look at the Kilowatts

6 kw increase for a Drive E T5
3 kw increase for a Drive E T6
18 kw increase for a SI6 T6

6 kw is hard to notice, im sure 3 kw is even harder.
3 kw is not going to be noticable on an engine that makes over 200 kw to begin with. At that level 3 kw is basically manufacturing differences; you could probably find a 3 kw difference between two identical brand new Drive-E T6 cars. That's basically a 1.5% difference, which probably isn't even enough to be measured by a dyno - I'll bet that if you dyno-ed the same car twice you could see a 1.5% difference between the runs.

·
Registered
234 Posts
On the D5 or D*, the difference is very noticeable
How do you know that?
I can’t find any info documenting it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
How do you know that?
I can’t find any info documenting it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went on european Volvo website and by experience I can tell the ECU change is way much more noticeable.
I used to tune ECU in France on Volvo and Peugeot so I can tell you that the Diesel always get the best tune. The motor can take way much more.
Example: peugeot 306 hdi in origin 90hp. Without any part, you can tune it to 135hp easily. After, you can go up to 250hp with gas pump and injector from 325i, front radiator, hybrid GT25 turbo....

·
Registered
234 Posts
I went on european Volvo website and by experience I can tell the ECU change is way much more noticeable.
I used to tune ECU in France on Volvo and Peugeot so I can tell you that the Diesel always get the best tune. The motor can take way much more.
Example: peugeot 306 hdi in origin 90hp. Without any part, you can tune it to 135hp easily. After, you can go up to 250hp with gas pump and injector from 325i, front radiator, hybrid GT25 turbo....
I would like to find reviews with members tuning the D5 with polestar..

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would like to find reviews with members tuning the D5 with polestar..
I have Polestar optimization on my V60 D5 AWD Geartronic 2012

after I bought it with optimization, so I have no opinion compared to the original power

Polestar is planning 230HP instead of 215HP

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have Polestar optimization on my V60 D5 AWD Geartronic 2012

after I bought it with optimization, so I have no opinion compared to the original power

Polestar is planning 230HP instead of 215HP
Mine is 235HP with Heico tuning. If I do a sprint from 80 km/h to 180 km/h a Golf 7 GTI with 230HP can't keep up.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Are you running 91 fuel? I know many folks feel it's not necessary, but the computer knows if you're cheating it, and polestar won't be at it's full potential on 87. I'd imagine you're not pushing the car enough too. It's more fun closer to the irresponsible side of things. If you never used all the power to begin with it'd be harder to feel a difference. In normal driving there isn't a big change, hence the no change in fuel economy ratings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts