SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
During the December holidays I got Polestar upgrade done on my 2021 XC90 T8! :) I know I know, the general consensus is that T8 already has great low end torque and in power mode has great acceleration. But I still couldnt stop the urge to "feel" the next level. Frankly I also couldnt find many threads here on personal experience of a Polestar upgrade on a T8.
So is it worth it?
Simple answer - YES!
I havent had the car for that long. In fact it is just about a month old and with less than 500 miles on it. But during this short time I used to notice a very slight lag from applying gas pedal to power delivery. Post upgrade the "feel" of the car is quite different especially in the Polestar mode. It holds gears longer and there is instant power on tap and it never lets up even at higher speeds. You hear the engine more than before but that is expected with delayed shifts.
Overall, I feel the main gain is the smile it puts on my face every time I am behind the wheel now! Love it.

I paid 1218 dollars including taxes, labor, polestar badge etc. Apparently there was a 300 dollar promotion Volvo was running that the dealer gave me. I also a have 30% rebate coupon ($200 max) from Volvo that I will submit to check if they will honor it.
So far I am very happy with the results and I think that expense was justified. Just sharing in case anyone is thinking about the upgrade.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I copied my responses from another thread the other day and am now posting them here. I hope this is helpful:

Ok here are my first impressions. BIG difference. So worth it in the T8. Why it doesn't come from the factory this way is beyond me. Seems that when it is in Polestar mode is charges the hybrid battery too. That is different. When in the 2k-5k rpm range, there is way more punch and the front tires break loose when accelerating up to 45 mph from a rolling start. Not a burning rubber kind of way, but definitely it feels like it is clawing at the pavement for traction. Prior to getting to the dealer I recorded on my performance app a 0-60 of 5.11 seconds. After the Polestar upgrade it showed a 4.86 to 60 mph and that was on wet road conditions. I love how it holds the gears and shifts faster just as others said it would. So far very satisfied. 5 other owners were at the same dealership with me this morning getting the same upgrade. I was the only T8 there.

So I have done additional testing as well as more driving to get to know the new Polestar version of my own vehicle. So what I see in Pure mode is basically no difference at all regarding performance or range. Hybrid mode seems to have the ICE engine come to life with more authority than before. When it starts up for the first time I never get into it so the fluid can come up to temp first. Once it does the mid range throttle tip in is much more aggressive and enjoyable. Now Polestar mode is a whole different animal all together. Sport mode was a lot of fun before, now it feels like it is on the outer edge of the power the vehicle can put to the ground for the front axle. Now if Volvo can put the rear EV motors from the Polestar One in the back, that would be shockingly good as it would be a 500+ hp and 600 ft/lbs tq monster. Volvo are you reading this? I hope so! So on dry roads I completed another 0-60mph test and came back with 4.72 after preloading the power while on the brakes at the start. The initial hit, followed by a slight pause, followed by the supercharger handing off to the turbo along with the EV thrust, was very impressive to 80 mph when I backed off, but then it held the gear rather than drop to the highest gear as it would in hybrid mode. My opinion? Fantastic! I found myself saying "you go girl" when it was accelerating. It is no Cayenne turbo, but it has more than enough thrust to get the job done in any driving situation at any reasonable speed, from a stoplight to passing on the highway. Bravo!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm getting my '21 T8 Inscription delivered tomorrow. Dealer said he would give me cost on any accessories so I had them instal the hitch and Polestar tune before delivery. Charged me $930. I guess I'll never know it without it.

I tow a boat so I wanted it for that but extra power and turque are always welcome.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I copied my responses from another thread the other day and am now posting them here. I hope this is helpful:

Ok here are my first impressions. BIG difference. So worth it in the T8. Why it doesn't come from the factory this way is beyond me.
Seriously, it`s just another way to get more money from you....duh !

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are so many threads here about Polestar and almost everybody likes the upgrade with similar description to yours. I like it also :)

But I agree with Tgommykent. It should be there from the factory.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I got the Polestar upgrage too and I do see a difference in faster response and I love that nice loud growl lol My previous T8 didn't have it.

Reactions: Huntski

·
Registered
221 Posts
Badge. I did it!

·
Registered
221 Posts
However I would like a few additional modifications. I want a train horn, landing lights from a plane, a military style bumper guard to be able to get through the walking dead, and a James Bond style smoke screen that can be deployed from the rear. I think we need an urban warfare defense in light of the protests in Washington DC. In my development there are retired military, security and the like people who are ready to defend our neighborhood if need be. I doubt anyone would be interested in going after a suburban neighborhood next to a horse farm. Not their target. And we are 275 miles away anyway. Crazy world we are in now. Be careful everyone.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Reactions: OlRedHair

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
When I press on the accelerator with Polestar tuned XC40, I have about a one second lag, but then it really takes off.

Whereas with my 850R in sport mode, it takes off instantaneously.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Interesting that it's only available for the newer model years...
All because of EPA. New models are certified with slightly different tunning on power train.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts