SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo is offering a $300 rebate on their Polestar upgrade valid through July.

My question is for anyone who have that upgrade, is it worth it?

My XC40 T5 in not even close to being a sporty car so I am not sure i would really benefit from increase mid-range HP & torque. Peak HP is only increased by 1%, whereas mid-range is increased by 15.

TIA for any feedback

·
Premium Member
5,048 Posts
Yes! You'll have a very hard time finding someone who has it thinking they shouldn't have. HP is nothing... it's the torque gains you get that are impressive. Shift points and on/off throttle response as well.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have it on my S90 and use it mainly on interstate driving as needed. It really boosts the performance. The "official" torque and HP number increase do not tell the whole story. See if you can test drive a T5 XC40 with the polestar upgrade at a dealer (used or new). Well worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: DFrantz

·
Premium Member
5,048 Posts
I have some in stock if you're in the Mechanicsburg PA area. If you want to take one for a spin just let me know I'd be glad to give you the time.

·
Registered
496 Posts
We have a '19 XC40 T5 Momentum and had the Polestar optimization done soon after the vehicle arrived. Throttle response and mid range power driving around were definitely improved. We were happy we bought it because it improved one of the negatives we had when we were deciding to buy the XC40. There seem to be sales and coupons so shop around.

Some of the functions are less important to us. When in Polestar mode, it has a more rear bias to the AWD system. This is a SUV, not a canyon carver. I don't notice the difference in a backroads I drive on.

Reactions: HKliltXC40

·
Premium Member
5,048 Posts
Thanks for the offer DFramz, but I am in Atlanta and too far away
700 miles, but it's a pretty easy drive. I lived in Atlanta for a few years so did the back and forth plenty of times =-D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are the torque gains and shift point improvements noticeable in "comfort mode"? I am considering this too, but would not be interested if these improvements are only noticeable in the more aggressive "polestar" drive mode.

·
Registered
2015 S60 T6 RD (3L 6Cyl), Heico Turboback + Tips & Pedal Tune, GBF DV+, IPD RSB, Do88 FMIC & more
313 Posts
Are the torque gains and shift point improvements noticeable in "comfort mode"? I am considering this too, but would not be interested if these improvements are only noticeable in the more aggressive "polestar" drive mode.
Noticeable across the board but felt most keenly in sport/dynamic mode (but that is only in my experience, others may differ).

·
Registered
269 Posts
I agree-I have found improvements in all modes. The shift point improvements alone are worth the upgrade in my opinion. It should have come standard this way!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

My XC40 T5 in not even close to being a sporty car so I am not sure i would really benefit from increase mid-range HP & torque. Peak HP is only increased by 1%, whereas mid-range is increased by 15.

TIA for any feedback
I get plenty of offers for our '20 T5, service and accessory-wise; but I've not heard a peep about a discount on
the Polestar upgrade. How did you hear about it???
I did the upgrade on our '11 C70 and barely could tell a difference. Kinda wasted $1000, especially since we traded for our '13 within a year. :(

·
Registered
16,211 Posts
I get plenty of offers for our '20 T5, service and accessory-wise; but I've not heard a peep about a discount on
the Polestar upgrade. How did you hear about it???
It's usually on your dealer's website under "Service Specials" or something like that.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It's usually on your dealer's website under "Service Specials" or something like that.
Most of their offers are pretty lame(10% off a service but doesn't apply to oil changes. I would think $150 for an oil change would be enough ;) ).
Haven't really scanned the web site for specials...I have an indie garage that handles BlueBell(C70) and Snowball(XC40) has covered maintenance for 30K miles).

Reactions: HKliltXC40

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had P* upgrade back in May, so a few miles on the clock.

First, it in no way does it feel like a full aftermarket ECU tune on a BMW, Audi or VW. Best description I can give is that it improves mid-range torque only, which is pretty much the numbers advertised by Volvo on the Polestar Engineered website. Shift points, as others have reviewed, are dramatically better. The torque increase is there in Comfort mode. The car is markedly faster in part-throttle applications which make the car more fun if you are a 'spirited' driver or live in an area with fast-moving multi-lane roads where throttle response and punch are everything to find your spot in traffic or merge.

It is expensive for what it is. I had the $300 coupon, and dealer didn't charge for shop time. Even then, I've paid 1/2 that for a Unitronic tune on my old Audi and turned the car into a monster.

Those that argue that Volvo should just put this in at the factory, are by their own observation performance drivers. I'd guess 95% of people who buy Volvos now just wouldn't notice the P* tune is in there, and wouldn't even think of visiting a car forum like this one!!!

WIth that said, the Polestar Engineered mode is TRASH. Way too jumpy, and holds gears at high RPM. I can see the logic of this for a track car where you want to stay in the power band for a few laps/miles, but it makes the car awful to drive in normal driving. Not much track usage for an XC40, so this mode is useless. There should have been an intermediate mode like "Dynamic" on my old Audi, where you get the more aggressive shifting, but the car would still go into higher gears for fuel economy, along with the full Engineered mode. This Engineered mode is just too much.

I've added the JB4 piggyback last month. I haven't had time to send stock logs to Burger, and I'm having same problem with the 22 psi limiter failsafe they put into the tune (still a BETA), the box drops back to stock Map 0. I'll report those results elsewhere. My guess is they will check the logs and OK going up to 24+ psi.

·
Registered
53 Posts

TIA for any feedback
In a few words: It's just a way for dealers' to make some extra bucks from customers. Is it really needed for an SUV, which is not a sports/race car? Will it give you better gas mileage?... I say "No".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Returning Volvo owner here. Yesterday wife and I picked up a new to us 2020 XC40 with Polestar. In my short time behind the wheel, I was impressed with Polestar "tune". I have an Audi TT (another 2.0T) with a stage 2 Unitronic ECU and TCU tune, so I was (and still am) curious about Polestar and other tuning options for the Volvo 2.0T.

I spent a couple of hours behind the wheel switching back and forth between Comfort and Polestar and in Polestar mode, IMO, it is a noticeably different (better) driving car in almost every way.

In fact, I liked the Polestar so much that I wanted it to be the default driving mode at start-up, but I can't...? Is that true? The original window sticker for the car says that Polestar was a $1,295 option. And I can't set it to be the default driving mode? Someone, please tell me I am wrong.

Rick
<><

1 - 20 of 23 Posts