SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/enhanced/en-us/Media/Preview.aspx?mediaid=46558

Now that this is available for 06-07 light pressure turbos, I think I'm going to give it a shot for my 2007 XC70. (Why not an 05, I have no idea, I do know why no 03-04s).

While the retail price a bit absurd to say the least, cost plus 5 to 10% which I will pay, isn't too bad, (final cost to me, about $645). It's cheaper than MY wholesale price for an IPD tune, plus my dealer will not charge me for labor to install it. :cool:
(My service manager said to just give one of the guys 10 bucks to load it) :thumbup:

While Lucky (ARD) may (or may not :rolleyes:) have a tune for these motors now and should/would/is a lot cheaper, I like the idea that if anything does go wrong, it's 100% backed by Volvo plus I don't lose any downtime with it being my daily driver!
15 minutes, in and out!

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
In any language - the performance increase is worth it.
That remains to be seen. Polestar has conservative performance figures on their website compared to the stock 0-60 time in magazines like Motortrend. It's hard to figure out how much you're really going to get from it when their reported 0-60 times (over 8.0s) are higher than the stock times from the media and other testers.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
The point is that it's a direct dollars for power trade with no real labor involved and a factory warranty. Worth it.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Looking forward to hearing about Jim's experience and results as I will likely follow suit if all positive.
This. Being from Polestar, I expect the difference *will* be noticeable, but I want to hear some shimmering reviews before I shell out that much money. For a little more money I could do an exhaust *and* the ARD tune.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I had an hour to kill so I went next door and had the tune loaded. :thumbup:
No reviews now, I live only a mile and a half away so I really had no chance to really tell much of anything.
Yes, you can tell it's more powerful, how much will have to wait until I spend a day with it on all roads and at all speeds.
I could tell off the line throttle response is crisper and it did lauch better, plus I could definitely feel it being a LOT stronger at mid range (3000-3500 to 4500 PRM) but in the one mile I only had one shot at that one time.
Stay tuned

·
Registered
785 Posts
Now are they rerouting the power to the correct RPMs, or are they increasing it significantly? Like, I want 1/4 mile times vs Lucky's tune.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
And highway speed passing times!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Had to register with Polestar to get me Polstar rear badge!

"After successful installation of the Polestar upgrade, the retailer must

instruct the Volvo owner to register their vehicle with Polestar. This

authenticates the installation for warranty purposes.

Customer Polestar Registration Process:

1. Customer must make a note of the 17 digit VIN # located on the

bottom left corner of the windshield

2. Log on to www.polestar.se

3. Choose Country / Go to CONTACT / Choose Register

4. Fill in the *Mandatory information correctly

5. Click Send

The customer will then receive a Polestar “Blue Owner’s Package” in the

mail containing their car’s specific Polestar certificate, and a Polestar

emblem that can be applied to their vehicle." :thumbup: :cool:

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had it out today, not bad.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
and what the heck does that have to do with a light pressure motor?????
In case you didn't actually read what this post is about, it's about flashing an 07 XC70.

Numbers and real world performance and feel are totally different things

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
What JRL says is true. The differences between the current T6 engine and the 2.5T are drastic, plus you're dealing with two different transmissions with different gear counts and different ratios, so changes in these two cars power bands would feel quite different.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hmm, thats funny, I didn't realize this was about LPT motors....except for the fact that I provided actual hard numbers from a T6 motor and then stated that the Polestar tune for a 2.5t engine is actually a larger bump in HP percentage wise. I realize that we're not talking about the T6 motor in this thread but I thought that hard numbers might give a better idea than "not bad". But then again, maybe I should go back and read what this post is about. The MotorTrend quote was also in response to the general statement thats "its hard to figure out what you're really going to get from it". My apologies, I must be confused.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The point about the percentage increase is still relevant. It made me consider the value further.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Look it's a decent upgrade.
At certain RPMs it's better than "good"... which is why I need to do some more driving before I give a complets analysis.
I may need a new BCV, I'm not sure yet.
I have to take into account the smaller turbo and since I don't have a boost gauge all I have to go by is a lot of experience with flashed cars (but those were all high pressure cars) and seat of the pants.

Continuing on:

0 to 20 not much except throttle the mapping is sharper, tining is advanced a bit and it goes off the line stronger but not necessarily that much quicker in 1st gear
After 20 and up to 55-60 MUCH quicker.
Part of this is 1st gear (like all Volvo 5 speed trannies is torque limited and despite just a little bit more boost alllowed in 1st, no big deal.
If you go off the line slowly, let it shift into 2nd at 10 mph and punch it, it's MUCH faster all the way up to 65 or so.
After that it sprt of pukes out. I think mine is not holding boost in 3rd and she slows down 70 mph or so in 3rd.

Tranny seems to shift a bit quicker and sharper

Need to swap in a new BCV and see. After all I do have 114K miles on it!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Well, I had an hour to kill so I went next door and had the tune loaded.
How much was the tune? Anyone know if the different models are the same price across the board?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The T6 Polestar software brings the two carlines to 311 HP and 354 lb.-ft torque, while the 2.5T brings the five carlines to 237 HP and 273 lb.-ft. The Polestar software carries a MSRP of $1,495 and $1,295 respectively.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The T6 Polestar software brings the two carlines to 311 HP and 354 lb.-ft torque, while the 2.5T brings the five carlines to 237 HP and 273 lb.-ft. The Polestar software carries a MSRP of $1,495 and $1,295 respectively.
Thanks for the info!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Of course wholesale is FAR FAR less!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts