"Coming soon..."

Is something else new on the horizon?

Carbon fiber?

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An earlier teaser was posted on their Twitter with huge intakes. It has to be a race car, the question is based on what. Most people are guessing V40.
I've hardly been on Twitter today. I missed them taking it up.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I've hardly been on Twitter today. I missed them taking it up.
Just checked and it was posted back on the 14th. I'm not on Twitter at all but I saw them post it on FB.

These are the images posted so far...
"The countdown begins"

"The countdown countinues"...

And the video you posted with the heading "2 weeks left"

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Consider what engines they have at hand right now, my wild guess is the tri-turbo engine onboard!
Oh... wish my guessed right...

·
Registered
848 Posts
So you guys think we can put together a group buy for whatever's in the picture??? :p

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think that if it was a race car it would have been an announcement just from Cyan and not Polestar. Maybe it's a prototype of the next generation Polestar, with the turbo/supercharged engine and electric motor, on the S60 or forthcoming S90.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I think that if it was a race car it would have been an announcement just from Cyan and not Polestar. Maybe it's a prototype of the next generation Polestar, with the turbo/supercharged engine and electric motor, on the S60 or forthcoming S90.
P* is going to continue to be involved in all Cyan activities. It is Polestar Cyan Racing. If it was anything to do with a new Volvo Polestar product, Cyan Racing would not have been mentioned.

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
that giant front splitter has race car written all over it.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Looks smaller now. Carbon fiber?
The front bumper is Clear Coat Carbon Fiber and maybe stuff in the rear as well. You can see the hood is black. It's possibly painted CF.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Looks smaller now. Carbon fiber?
I think it is as good as confirmed that Volvo will enter WTCC next year. Therefor I think it is safe to say that this car follows WTCC TC1 sporting regulations.
The wheel used for these cars is 18"x10 and the tire size from what I can find is 275/660. Regulations only state that the tire width can be no more than 280 mm at 2 bars of pressure.
If not 660 overall diameter I guess 650 is being used. The Polestar S/V60 tire diameter is 680 mm. Although the WTCC cars still have a considerable wheel gap, specially in the rear, the cars are a lot lower stanced compared to the street cars and a lot wider at the same time. The teaser video shows a protrusion underneath the grill area which almost looks like an added bumper but which is probably added to create extra downforce and also house the intercooler. Underneath all that there is also a huge splitter.

All the changes combined plus the color make the car appear smaller compared to the street car.

At the same time the audience is accustomed with the two known S60 race cars. The STCC S60 which is no more than a shell placed on top of a universal space frame. I have seen those cars in real and although Volvo/Polestar did a heck of job making the car resemble the street version there simply is space missing. The shell is missing body height. For that reason the STCC car appears to be a very long car.

The other race car is the V8SC S60. This car is basically build on a "Holden lookalike" underpinning and I assume most of the sizing is a result of the regulations. Most of the body of this car resembles the street version but because the car being a RWD car housing a V8, drive train and suspension according regulations the front area of the car doesn't resemble the street version. The nose is to long and the front wheels placed to much forward. I guess for this reason the V8SC S60 appears to be a bigger and more stretched car.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts