SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 C30 T5 R design 6-speed manual. I just love this car. I plan to keep it forever and given that I don't drive much, it's relatively low mileage. I enjoy it's zippiness, especially in 2nd gear, where acceleration can feel like a rocket after a brief and flirtatious lag. Lately, I've been curious about getting the Polestar upgrade. I contacted my dealer, who said it's available for my car and would cost somewhere around $1,150. My question: Will I really notice an acceleration and speed difference? For those who have done the upgrade, do you think it was worth it? Are you glad you did it? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
yes worth it. definitely notice it.

if you're almost out of warranty you can get an aftermarket tune (ie shark, elevate, ipd) for almost 1/2 the price in which case definitely worth it

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have a 2012 C30 T5 R design 6-speed manual. I just love this car. I plan to keep it forever and given that I don't drive much, it's relatively low mileage. I enjoy it's zippiness, especially in 2nd gear, where acceleration can feel like a rocket after a brief and flirtatious lag. Lately, I've been curious about getting the Polestar upgrade. I contacted my dealer, who said it's available for my car and would cost somewhere around $1,150. My question: Will I really notice an acceleration and speed difference? For those who have done the upgrade, do you think it was worth it? Are you glad you did it? Thank you!
Yes, I notice the difference since I also own a non Polestar 2010 S40 6 speed manual. Gives it an extra punch.

Yes it is worth it.

There are other tunes out there but I feel the Polestar tune makes the car more sale friendly when the time comes since it is a manufacturer's tune.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I am going to answer my own question after finally getting around to the Polestar upgrade 2 weeks ago. Totally worth the price. It changed dramatically the acceleration and responsiveness of the car around anything having to do with the gas pedal and gear shift. It also has changed the gear ratio somehow. I get a lot more out of first gear. Prior to Polestar, I shifted to second much sooner. With Polestar, I feel like I'm pulling more out of first. It's somehow deeper. Glad I did it and recommend the upgrade to anyone who wants to blow the money on making their cool car even cooler (and faster). BTW, I got the upgrade at the dealership where I bought the car about 6 years ago. I fully intend for this to be the last car I own and for me to age over the years into that weird old guy who drives the funny vintage car.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What dealer did you go to? How's your MPG? And any other mods?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer is Herb Gordon in Silver Spring, MD. No other modifications. My gas mileage seems unchanged. What's funny about my car is how dramatically different the gas mileage is in city driving vs. freeway driving. On the freeway, I get economy car mileage - in the low 30s per gallon, typically. In city driving, mileage is much lower. So far, I haven't noticed any post-Polestar mileage change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going to answer my own question after finally getting around to the Polestar upgrade 2 weeks ago. Totally worth the price. It changed dramatically the acceleration and responsiveness of the car around anything having to do with the gas pedal and gear shift. It also has changed the gear ratio somehow. I get a lot more out of first gear. Prior to Polestar, I shifted to second much sooner. With Polestar, I feel like I'm pulling more out of first. It's somehow deeper. Glad I did it and recommend the upgrade to anyone who wants to blow the money on making their cool car even cooler (and faster). BTW, I got the upgrade at the dealership where I bought the car about 6 years ago. I fully intend for this to be the last car I own and for me to age over the years into that weird old guy who drives the funny vintage car.
ermiwe, I got an email announcing the availability of the s/w upgrade. Don Beyer in Alex shut down recently and I'm looking at the new shop in Alexandria run by Lindsey. The service rep couldn't quote me the s/w price over the phone. He promised to get back to me later. He quoted around $175 for "labor". I'm thinking labor is connecting a PC to the input port and running the data off a CD for a half hour. I am looking forward to the upgrade soon.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
While I am sure the Polestar tune is great, it doesn't allow any room for future improvements. For this reason I went with Shark. With an exhaust, downpipe, intercooler and intake I am at an advertised 310hp and 375 lb/ft of torque. It's a completely different car from stock.

I would definitely recommend getting a bigger intercooler. It makes a huge difference in performance. The Do88 piece is very nice.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
While I am sure the Polestar tune is great, it doesn't allow any room for future improvements. For this reason I went with Shark. With an exhaust, downpipe, intercooler and intake I am at an advertised 310hp and 375 lb/ft of torque. It's a completely different car from stock.

I would definitely recommend getting a bigger intercooler. It makes a huge difference in performance. The Do88 piece is very nice.
are these dyno verified numbers at crank because I have a hard time believing them. 375 ft lbs you won't be able to keep those wheels on the ground unless it is an auto and torque limited.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That's why I put "advertised" in my response - they are the numbers Shark advertises and backs up with dyno sheets on it's website. I can't really speak to how accurate they are.

Frankly, I am not sure I even care. Bolt on some simple mods that allow the engine to breathe better, have Shark change the fuel and timing mapping for a little bit of money and you end up with a car that is very fun to drive.

What does Hilton get out of the P1's he tunes?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've had both Shark and Polestar tunes. Shark has more noticeable mid-range torque at a better price. The guys at Shark know their stuff.

If money is no object, you'll be happy with Polestar, but don't expect to do any mods with a Polestar Tune. Shark can customize your tune depending on what mods you have.

I'm not sure if the Elevate tune has been updated, but early versions of that tune has had problems with some people I know.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
That's why I put "advertised" in my response - they are the numbers Shark advertises and backs up with dyno sheets on it's website. I can't really speak to how accurate they are.

Frankly, I am not sure I even care. Bolt on some simple mods that allow the engine to breathe better, have Shark change the fuel and timing mapping for a little bit of money and you end up with a car that is very fun to drive.

What does Hilton get out of the P1's he tunes?
Hilton doesn't post numbers because every tune is truly custom based on the logging of the car and not a canned tune with theoretical numbers.

Shark is basically saying you get a 35hp gain from an intercooler and I find that extremely hard to believe and I have a do88.

Sent from my obamaphone.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Hilton doesn't post numbers because every tune is truly custom based on the logging of the car and not a canned tune with theoretical numbers.

Sent from my obamaphone.
So you haven't dyno'd your car?

Listen, I get it. Your panties get all wadded up at the mention of someone tuning a car without data logging, etc. To you there is only one way to go and that is with Hilton. Cool. I am happy you have found a tuning solution that meets your criteria. To me, data logging via knock-off Chinese software (VIDA/DICE) which is then sent to a guy so he can adjust the tune file to those specific parameters is really not that much different than what is done by Shark. They get a list of your mods and tune to those specific parameters. They will also tune via data logs, if that is what you want. Hilton is not tuning the car with you in the seat at the dyno, unless, I suppose, you go to him. That said, I have heard nothing but good things about his tunes.

I just wonder what the difference in power ends up being? With the same mods which is making more power?

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
So you haven't dyno'd your car?

Listen, I get it. Your panties get all wadded up at the mention of someone tuning a car without data logging, etc. To you there is only one way to go and that is with Hilton. Cool. I am happy you have found a tuning solution that meets your criteria. To me, data logging via knock-off Chinese software (VIDA/DICE) which is then sent to a guy so he can adjust the tune file to those specific parameters is really not that much different than what is done by Shark. They get a list of your mods and tune to those specific parameters. They will also tune via data logs, if that is what you want. Hilton is not tuning the car with you in the seat at the dyno, unless, I suppose, you go to him. That said, I have heard nothing but good things about his tunes.

I just wonder what the difference in power ends up being? With the same mods which is making more power?
I know I'm not making 310 at the crank or wheels and I seriously doubt you are either.

Oh and dude, Robert has written his own software so lay off the Chinese ****. You don't log the car with VIDA... Sheesh.

Sent from my obamaphone.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
How do you know you aren't making 310 at the crank without checking? Hilton doesn't dyno, you haven't dyno'd...

What makes your car faster than a car modified with the exact same components? What is it about your tune that makes more power?

http://www.sharkperformance.us/brands/engine.php?Model=C30 P1 2007-

You can click the links for the dyno graphs on that page.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
How do you know you aren't making 310 at the crank without checking? Hilton doesn't dyno, you haven't dyno'd...

What makes your car faster than a car modified with the exact same components? What is it about your tune that makes more power?

http://www.sharkperformance.us/brands/engine.php?Model=C30 P1 2007-

You can click the links for the dyno graphs on that page.
I know what 300hp feels like and this isn't it. I'm not saying my tune makes more power or is faster than someone elses, I'm just saying those Shark numbers are mythical. For instance it shows the boost pressure at 17psi which is damn near impossible for a K04 without some other modification they aren't listing.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You should take a ride in my car which has a boost gauge and watch it go to 17 psi. I can assure you it happens whenever you put the pedal down. I have a Snabb intake (stock air box), Mototec DP, cat, elevate cat back and a Do88 intercooler and silicone hoses. Per my conversation with Juha at Shark, those are the same mods (with a different catback) that the V50 they put on the dyno had.

I don't think the numbers are "mythical."

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
so you are holding boost at 17psi like that dyno chart? all turbos can spike a high number but few will stay there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts