SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XC60 T6 R-Design w Polestar optimization
89 Posts
No. He mentioned above that he got a $200 new volvo owner discount.
Sorry - you quoted my post with the Costco $300 discount so I figured that's what you were asking about....

For the $200 rebate I started a "chat" with Volvo from the VolvoCars.com website.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I started the chat today with Volvo and the rebate is now $100 max. Though this Costco tidbit came in handy!!! Curious what it'll come down to considering the dealer near us had the Polestar for 899.

Sorry - you quoted my post with the Costco $300 discount so I figured that's what you were asking about....

For the $200 rebate I started a "chat" with Volvo from the VolvoCars.com website.

·
Registered
417 Posts
That's dumb.. they can just download prior and install it when you come back! Call around lol
That would require the dealer to care about customer service.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just paid $800 + taxes at Byers Volvo in central Ohio. I inquired about it while the car was in for its 20k checkup and the serviceman told me of the Costco instant rebate and they were offering some sort of dealership discount as well. I couldn't hardly believe the price so I jumped on it on the spot.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Received an email from Volvo Car USA today offering $300 off of Polestar tune. I am tempted. How does the tune affect the fuel economy, if any? I know performance vs economy is a tradeoff and the Volvo Polestar info claims "unchanged fuel consumption and emissions".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Received an email from Volvo Car USA today offering $300 off of Polestar tune. I am tempted. How does the tune affect the fuel economy, if any? I know performance vs economy is a tradeoff and the Volvo Polestar info claims "unchanged fuel consumption and emissions".
I haven't noticed any change in MPG. That said, I have only had the Polestar upgrade on the car for about a week and I've only put about 150 miles on the car. I have no reason to believe it would change so long as how I drive doesn't change.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I haven't noticed any change in MPG. That said, I have only had the Polestar upgrade on the car for about a week and I've only put about 150 miles on the car. I have no reason to believe it would change so long as how I drive doesn't change.
Is it a zippier/more exciting drive? Is it worth a grand?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wouldn't say it's night and day difference - at this point, any difference I'm feeling may even be a placebo effect. haha. With that said, I do feel like it's a bit smoother when getting on the interstate and overtaking people on the interstate. I can't say whether it's worth a grand to you but I'm happy with the money I spent.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Is it a zippier/more exciting drive? Is it worth a grand?
Is it all relative of what one calls value. After all, P* is only worth one tenth of a second in the 0-60 MPH.

Examples:
If one is expecting a significant difference and $1k is a considerable amount of money in one's budget, then it is not worth it.
If one is expecting a significant difference and $1k in not much money in one's budget, then it is a 50-50 proposition.
If one is expecting better shifts and greater pedal response only, and $1k is a considerable amount of money in one's budget, then it is 50-50 proposition.
If one is expecting better shifts and greater pedal response only, and $1k is a not much money in one's budget, then it is totally worth it.

In my case, it was worth the money but I'm still disappointed with the shifting speed/redline because of the other mods I have in my car. I still hit the rev limiter in first gear often and second gear sometimes because of the Racechip device I have in my car...so I have to attempt at manual shifting those first two gears.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thanks for your observations. Polestar to me is more of a curiosity than any real need for a performance upgrade. Growing up, a performance upgrade was hardware (Holley carbs, supercharger, etc). I'm thinking if Polestar is a performance improvement, why isn't it the standard software installed in all the cars? The cost isn't really an issue for me and I get it that track testing and software engineers cost money. Kudos to Volvo for offering a 60 minute flash upgrade to the existing engine as an option for those that want it. Since my T6 already comes with a supercharger, it seems pretty high performance to me (harking back to my youth). I'll keep reading the observations here and contemplating Polestar since the $300 Volvo discount doesn't expire until the end of October.

Reactions: pocholin

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for your observations. Polestar to me is more of a curiosity than any real need for a performance upgrade. Growing up, a performance upgrade was hardware (Holly carbs, supercharger, etc). I'm thinking if Polestar is a performance improvement, why isn't it the standard software installed in all the cars? The cost isn't really an issue for me and I get it that track testing and software engineers cost money. Kudos to Volvo for offering a 60 minute flash upgrade to the existing engine as an option for those that want it. Since my T6 already comes with a supercharger, it seems pretty high performance to me (harking back to my youth). I'll keep reading the observations here and contemplating Polestar since the $300 Volvo discount doesn't expire until the end of October.
I can only speak of T5 where the Polestar optimization will increase the torque to a non-Polestar T6. The difference from non-Polestar Dynamic mode to Polestar mode is huge for me. The torque packs a punch and you can really feel the car “pulling” whereas previously in Dynamic mode it wasn’t the case. I still wish as per others noted here that the 1st and 2nd gear was more powerful but you can only do so much with software optimization.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can only speak of T5 where the Polestar optimization will increase the torque to a non-Polestar T6. The difference from non-Polestar Dynamic mode to Polestar mode is huge for me. The torque packs a punch and you can really feel the car “pulling” whereas previously in Dynamic mode it wasn’t the case. I still wish as per others noted here that the 1st and 2nd gear was more powerful but you can only do so much with software optimization.
Stumbled across this discussion and it's been very helpful, thanks guys. I received a $300 coupon from Volvo dealer for Polestar and began researching as I was totally in the dark on this upgrade. I have a 2018 S90 T6 Inscription, and wondering if this would be worthwhile or not based on already having the supercharger? As you can tell, I'm not very engine-savvy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stumbled across this discussion and it's been very helpful, thanks guys. I received a $300 coupon from Volvo dealer for Polestar and began researching as I was totally in the dark on this upgrade. I have a 2018 S90 T6 Inscription, and wondering if this would be worthwhile or not based on already having the supercharger? As you can tell, I'm not very engine-savvy.
If you enjoy “dynamic”/“sporty” driving I say go for it. Official figures here: Polestar Engineered Optimisation | Polestar Engineered

61 - 80 of 83 Posts