SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inquired with my dealer about upgrading the software [Polestar] on my v90 and they quoted $1395. Since it's a $1295 option currently, I assume they're charging me $100 for the install. I had hoped they might actually come in below retail for a 3 time customer, but no. If you have purchased the Polestar software after your car purchase - where did you buy and how much did you pay? If it's a simple flash, I'd prefer to just do the install myself, if that's an option. Thanks!

·
Registered
382 Posts
They have you over a barrel. Only choice may to call around dealers in your vicinity (if you have more than one) and see if one is willing to reduce the price for a quick easy transaction.

Once I was planning on a road trip out of town (FL) and negotiated with a dealer down there for something and had it done while I was visiting (not Polestar). Bit of a pain to investigate but was worth it for the savings for effectively a few phone calls.

Best way to get Polestar is to bundle as part of the original purchase when you have some negotiation power (doesn't help you now I know). I got mine for $500 that way. Sales manager confided after the fact that the software cost is only a couple of hundred dollars to them so unsurprisingly its almost all profit..

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
As Iamhives said, the best would be to get it bundled with the Vehicle cost. It coust me around $600 for bundling it with my V90CC. Also, hit up Volvo for discount coupons. I have seen those "$200" off coupons from Volvo for any official accessory.

·
Registered
911 Posts
You can also reach out to Volvo customer service and request an accessories rebate/coupon. They're good for 30% off (capped at $200), and can be used toward Polestar software. So that helps to offset the cost a little bit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies! i definitely missed my opportunity to bundle it in with the car. i'll keep working on my dealer or see if i can get one of the volvo coupons.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my salesperson just came back and told me the Parts Director told her that their cost is $1100. she thinks that if anyone gets it in the range of $500-600, the dealer is eating part of that price. i have my doubts. i just wish there was a comparable product in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
my salesperson just came back and told me the Parts Director told her that their cost is $1100. she thinks that if anyone gets it in the range of $500-600, the dealer is eating part of that price. i have my doubts. i just wish there was a comparable product in the aftermarket.
I doubt that it costs them $1100 but, nonetheless, that very well might be the case. But when a Dealer is trying to sell you a $60-70k Vehicle, it becomes easier for them to wrap the cost of the Polestar tune into it. It's losing the battle to win the war kinda thing!

I would say, after the Volvo rebates, the tune costing you around $0.9-1k is a decent deal, if you have no other option left. It's a one-time investment thing that will last you the lifetime of the Vehicle and overpaying $3-$400 for it is a small change in the larger perspective.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I found a dealer 45 minutes away from me that had a 20% accessory coupon. I paid $956 for the Polestar software (MSRP of $1,195). Labor was $170 (no discounts on labor).

I then used the Volvo accessory rebate form (30% off, up to $200) to get $200 back on the Polestar tune, making my effective cost on the software $756.

As someone else suggested above, contact dealers in your area and ask if they have any accessory specials. And don't forget to contact Volvo customer service for the Accessory Rebate form.

·
Registered
218 Posts
also paid $500usd for polestar bundled into my 2018 V90 CC OR deal...quite honestly, it's worth $1,000 or so on a $60k+ car...especially if you plan to keep it a few years!...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Not surprisingly, utter BS. I don't mind sales people making money but to flat out lie is another thing. Of course using the 'some people say' that has become the norm right now protects from being accused of lying. My dealer was making money at $500 including labor so it depends how much they want your business. Do you have another Volvo dealer nearby?. If so, imply you will take you service business for the life of the car to a dealer that treats you fairly. Then, as others have said, use the $200 Volvo discount code on top of what you can negotiate. My guess is if you try you will be able to get to around $700 and the dealer makes $500 for an hours work.

·
Registered
2021 V60 R-Design
33 Posts
I called around dealers in Chicago and one was willing to sell me the part at Volvo employee price.
Labor was not cheap though, also the ridiculous Chicago tax rate. But the Volvo rebate coupon helped a bit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and what was that 'employee price', he asked.

where do i get this rebate coupon? volvo website?

·
Registered
332 Posts
dealer is absolutely not making money off 500 polestar software. i wont get into cost, but it is more than 500 dollars. it does not get the same markup as say a water pump. volvo as a company probably makes huge profit, but at the dealer level it is down there with tires on the lowest margin stuff we sell. as mentioned, email volvo customer care and ask for an accessory rebate rebate. will save a couple hundred more after the fact.

retail price is $1195 for the software and usually about an hour install time.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
The $1100 is pretty close to accurate, there isn't much markup on this. However, if you're about to buy a car and I have $500 left in the deal, it's not hard to say "I'll give you polestar for $600".. when really they're just moving money around. While I've not done it, the customer service coupon would be the best option from my reading on the forum. Ask your dealer too if they give a VCOA discount. We give 15% off parts (not labor) for VCOA members, but that is a dealer by dealer discount, so it's just an example. It's not inexpensive, but it's fully worth it!

·
Registered
2021 V60 R-Design
33 Posts
and what was that 'employee price', he asked.

where do i get this rebate coupon? volvo website?
The part was offered to me slightly below $1k.
You can do an online chat with Volvo CS and they will give you a rebate coupon capped at $200.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
great information on this! thanks for the responses and help on the coupon.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Here in Sweden the regular price is about ~$1000 for a Polestar tune but often there's a "deal" (several times a year for a long period of time) on it at a total of $700. I know a lot of people who has Polestar in their cars but I don't think anyone paid full price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 S90 AWD T5, Polestar Upgrade worth it?

Hello, I am new to the forum and interested in opinions on whether it is worth the money to upgrade to Polestar. I have the base T5, 2018 S90 AWD

Is there a noticeable difference?

What is the difference.

Since my car is stock, and not a T6 or T8. I am interested to hear how Polestar has changed the driving experience.

Thank you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did same as AJS1KR, paid $841 after a slight, pressured dealer discount, then submitted and received the $200 ($194 actually) rebate check from Volvo US.

I did the upgrade on a 2006 XC70, the first year that Polestar is available for that model. Some thought I was silly to put that money towards a 2006 with 220K miles, but it was either that or get a new car, and for all intents and purposes, I now have a "new" car that has lots of power and torque.

Great upgrade, totally transformed the drive and no decrease in MPG. Especially good on highways and mountain roads, really kicks in during second gear and can pass trucks with ease and zip right up steep inclines, fully loaded. The dealer near me sells only Polestar-upgraded new cars and he said he is the #1 for Polestar in the US. Make sure your car runs well and make sure you have good fluids in there -- synthetic oil and fresh transmission fluid.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts