SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm also looking at potentially going for the P* upgrade on my V60 T5, however I'm still in doubt about engine reliability (pumping even more out of the 4-cylinder engine is that smart?). Any thoughts on that?

Strangely enough when I asked my dealer's technician he was not very convinced that the P* upgrade would make the gearbox much better in terms of shifting (I think the shifting sometimes lags when you need it to shift quickly on for instance a takeover), it seems with most of the answers here that it does actually make the gearbox better. Interesting.
Polestar being a factory sanctioned, dealer installed, warranty covered thing, I think puts it in the low risk class.

The drivability will be up to you, if you value the improvement in response and shifting. I can totally see how anyone could drive the upgrade and say "meh I can't tell the difference", like I can't imagine on what planet my wife would ever say "The Polestar software is great!" ha. But me...oh yeah it's totally worth it, but I am tuned in and care about such things. So probably only valuable if you are more than casual about driving and your car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you happen to have a link handy for this 30% rebate coupon. Did a quick search and don't see anything like this online?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Also wondering where this is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can request a coupon from Volvo via chat, they'll email a coupon to you shortly afterwards. Polestar upgrade is an accessories so you can often use the dealers 20% off accessories coupon and use the coupon to claim a rebate. I emailed all the local Volvo dealerships to see if they'll price match or apply the accessory coupon to the upgrade ($896 + labor = $1,043). See attached. I then used 30% off (up to $200) rebate for a final price of $843. Volvo Polestar.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've read a lot of these threads. The consensus is always yes, it's worth it.

Personally I sometimes worry, as it is, how much power Volvo is forcing out of these tiny 4 cylinder engines. I'm sure Volvo figured out it will last as long as the warranty but what about after that? If it increases blow-by or makes the engine hotter maybe those effects don't show up until after the warranty is over and you're stuck with a bill having the heads replaced or the valves cleaned etc.

Maybe Volvo just wants some more money and doesn't really care what happens on the 5th year when you hit 60K miles. If you want the car to go 100K miles trouble free maybe don't get a performance tune.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Personally I sometimes worry, as it is, how much power Volvo is forcing out of these tiny 4 cylinder engines. I'm sure Volvo figured out it will last as long as the warranty but what about after that? If it increases blow-by or makes the engine hotter maybe those effects don't show up until after the warranty is over and you're stuck with a bill having the heads replaced or the valves cleaned etc.
That's twice now we see this concern here...Just my opinion: I think that is too simplistic a way to look at it. The whole tiny engine thing, Volvo 4 cylinder doesn't have any less main bearings than a typical V8. No reason why it can't be as stout as they want it to be. Look at a legend like the Mitsu 4G63 (Evo motor). Any mfr could build a reliable 600hp 4-banger if they wanted to given the appropriate budget. But reality of the market competition, what people want and will buy at what price, that's not going to happen. Of course the 22 psi of boost, high compression with turbos, worry about heat mgmt, sure there are things that we rely on managing the technology advances, we hope and trust Volvo has done good there.

Again just my take it seems almost every "problem" we see with modern cars is related to the extreme pressure on engineers to meet emissions and fuel economy needs. The problems that we see with blow-by/piston rings, oil dilution, bearings, carbon buildup and other stuff always seems to come back to the need to meet emissions and efficiency requirements. There doesn't seem to be a relation to engine size, 4s, 6s and V8s having their share of issues.

My speculation is that consistent power and flat torque curve are the goals with the "normal" engine program. The Polestar guys are given more leeway to make the curve more "peaky". All within the constraints of durability and emissions and economy of Volvo OEM. I can't see that extra 8 hp you use once or twice a week causing any appreciable difference in longevity. But that's all just my total speculation on it, if you got problems later don't blame me, only take the risks you are comfortable with ;-)

·
Registered
925 Posts
That's twice now we see this concern here...Just my opinion: I think that is too simplistic a way to look at it. The whole tiny engine thing, Volvo 4 cylinder doesn't have any less main bearings than a typical V8. No reason why it can't be as stout as they want it to be. Look at a legend like the Mitsu 4G63 (Evo motor). Any mfr could build a reliable 600hp 4-banger if they wanted to given the appropriate budget. But reality of the market competition, what people want and will buy at what price, that's not going to happen. Of course the 22 psi of boost, high compression with turbos, worry about heat mgmt, sure there are things that we rely on managing the technology advances, we hope and trust Volvo has done good there.

Again just my take it seems almost every "problem" we see with modern cars is related to the extreme pressure on engineers to meet emissions and fuel economy needs. The problems that we see with blow-by/piston rings, oil dilution, bearings, carbon buildup and other stuff always seems to come back to the need to meet emissions and efficiency requirements. There doesn't seem to be a relation to engine size, 4s, 6s and V8s having their share of issues.

My speculation is that consistent power and flat torque curve are the goals with the "normal" engine program. The Polestar guys are given more leeway to make the curve more "peaky". All within the constraints of durability and emissions and economy of Volvo OEM. I can't see that extra 8 hp you use once or twice a week causing any appreciable difference in longevity. But that's all just my total speculation on it, if you got problems later don't blame me, only take the risks you are comfortable with ;-)
How about if you use it every single day every time you drive? My XC40 is only two months old and I really enjoy it and drive all the time in polestar mode. Now that may change after a few months with the newness wears off. But I do enjoy the sporty mode. In my 1996 850R I have always driven it in the sport mode and it has lasted well.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
557 Posts
How about if you use it every single day every time you drive? My XC40 is only two months old and I really enjoy it and drive all the time in polestar mode. Now that may change after a few months with the newness wears off. But I do enjoy the sporty mode. In my 1996 850R I have always driven it in the sport mode and it has lasted well.
We may never know ;-) But your experience with the 850R is heartening. Enjoy it and don't worry too much, that's what I do!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Thanks so much. I know it’s not polestarmode but still I have always chosen the sport mode even though the gas mileage isn’t quite as good. It’s just so much more enjoyable.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think there's much need to worry about it. I have a MY20 T6 S60 CPO car with a 10yr unlimited miles warranty that is also P*. I highly doubt Volvo is gunning to replace my engine during those 10 years due to P* software destroying it.

If anything I view it as non P* is just a detuned engine from the factory, and a P* tune is how Volvo always intended for it to be all along. Most people are fine with a detuned engine, and Volvo is more than happy to squeeze even more money out of folks to get a P* tune if they can!

And in a T6, the tune is very much worth it!

·
Registered
925 Posts
I don't think there's much need to worry about it. I have a MY20 T6 S60 CPO car with a 10yr unlimited miles warranty that is also P*. I highly doubt Volvo is gunning to replace my engine during those 10 years due to P* software destroying it.

If anything I view it as non P* is just a detuned engine from the factory, and a P* tune is how Volvo always intended for it to be all along. Most people are fine with a detuned engine, and Volvo is more than happy to squeeze even more money out of folks to get a P* tune if they can!

And in a T6, the tune is very much worth it!
I am curious how you have a certified preowned model year 2020? Does that mean that somebody bought a car and only kept it for several months and traded it in?

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am curious how you have a certified preowned model year 2020? Does that mean that somebody bought a car and only kept it for several months and traded it in?

Nora in Florida
It wasn't disclosed until after sale (very uncool of that dealer), but it ended up being a prior Hertz rental car that was used for only 6 months before they off loaded it. Extremely low miles and CPO'd, and I was able to tack on a 10yr unlimited mile warranty via Steingold Volvo afterwards.

·
Registered
925 Posts
It wasn't disclosed until after sale (very uncool of that dealer), but it ended up being a prior Hertz rental car that was used for only 6 months before they off loaded it. Extremely low miles and CPO'd, and I was able to tack on a 10yr unlimited mile warranty via Steingold Volvo afterwards.
It sounds like it ended up being a very good deal

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can request a coupon from Volvo via chat, they'll email a coupon to you shortly afterwards. Polestar upgrade is an accessories so you can often use the dealers 20% off accessories coupon and use the coupon to claim a rebate. I emailed all the local Volvo dealerships to see if they'll price match or apply the accessory coupon to the upgrade ($896 + labor = $1,043). See attached. I then used 30% off (up to $200) rebate for a final price of $843. View attachment 70129
Thanks, of course there is ZERO offers for Canada... what’s up with that!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Be sure to get a 30% rebate coupon from VCNA.
Thanks for the tip on the rebate. I emailed Volvo this morning. About 2 hours later, I received my 30% rebate form. I already purchased the Polestar upgrade but this rebate coupon is good for any parts/accessories. It's also good for 6 months.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the rebate. I emailed Volvo this morning. About 2 hours later, I received my 30% rebate form. I already purchased the Polestar upgrade but this rebate coupon is good for any parts/accessories. It's also good for 6 months.
What email did you use? I got my Poledtar tune in June, so I would love to apply for a rebate.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
78 Posts
What email did you use? I got my Poledtar tune in June, so I would love to apply for a rebate.

Nora in Florida
See post #25. Use the email option at the bottom of the page when you click the link. It's important to note: Apparently you can't use the rebate retroactively. The rebate coupon I received is only good for parts/accessories purchased 10-16-20 thru 4-16-2021.

·
Registered
925 Posts
See post #25. Use the email option at the bottom of the page when you click the link. It's important to note: Apparently you can't use the rebate retroactively. The rebate coupon I received is only good for parts/accessories purchased 10-16-20 thru 4-16-2021.
Thank you so much. Even though mine would be retroactive, I emailed them anyway to ask. I figured no harm in trying.

Nora in Florida

21 - 40 of 74 Posts