SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the 8hp increase over the stock 250hp isn't astounding (given the cost of Polestar software upgrade), it's the increase in the mid-revs that attracts me. What are people's thoughts on upgrading? Are there any known issues/problems? I understand it tunes the shift points too. Personally, I find the OEM shift points on the stock V60 a little playful, especially on slight incline at 30-40mph. Gears seem to go back and forth as if they're lost. I have a dealer appointment scheduled and am wondering whether to have them do the Polestar software or not. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
The torque jumps up to 295.. that's the number to care about if you're gonna care about a number. I've never had anyone disappointed with it. I'm pretty sure it still had a 30 day money back guarantee if you get it and don't think it was worth it... we've never been asked issued any refunds at our store.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yes, it’s worth it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My '20 V60 has it.....would I have liked my car without it? Yep. Am I glad it is there? You betcha.

I personally do not like the shift points when in Polestar Auto mode...it holds the gears way longer than I like for casual driving and you end up cruising around at 3k RPMs unless I manually force an upshift. But I easily can tell the engine behaves differently when enabled which I really enjoy. I generally drive with my car in ECO...I am 95% of the time delivering kids to school...and then flip over to Polestar with manual mode when bored.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I drove for a year without Polestar on my V60 T6 and just got Polestar on it. I should have done it much sooner and it shifts so much better now. For me that is the biggest improvement for myself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Our S60 T6 R Design was equipped from the factory with the Polestar option. It sure makes a difference and improves the shifting vs the T6's I drove without it.

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
663 Posts
Worth every penny. I intentionally waited until 5000 miles so that I could appreciate the change. Even if you didn't get the torque increase, the remapping of the transmission is worth it. Be sure to get a 30% rebate coupon from VCNA.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Worth every penny. I intentionally waited until 5000 miles so that I could appreciate the change. Even if you didn't get the torque increase, the remapping of the transmission is worth it. Be sure to get a 30% rebate coupon from VCNA.
Bummer, I had no idea about the rebate coupon. I had mine done this past July.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Absolutely YES. Its boost to the mid range torque is pretty noticeable and the car pulls pretty good. It should be a standard feature, not an option.

·
Registered
36 Posts
IMO it's a personal decision and different people will feel differently about it.

I can't speak for the V60 but I had a 2017 S60 T5 without it and when Volvo offered to let me out of my lease early if I got another Volvo, I test drove 2019 S60 T5's with and without the Polestar tune and to me it made a difference. I bought a 2019 R-Design with the Polestar tune a year ago and am happy I did. The Polestar tune yields more mid-range power even though I drive in Individual Mode with the Eco setting most of the time.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Another vote for worth it, I had 9k miles before I had it installed. I don't think I can tell the power difference, just by seat of me pants. The improvement in drivability, shifting strategy and response from the trans, is worth it, in all modes not just Polestar. For the AWD models, improved behavior there is also a big plus.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
So, my friend is buying an "executive" S60 T6 Inscription that shows it has the Polestar option included. I can't find the real numbers for horsepower OR is it the 316hp listed as standard for the T6(what's the difference, in other words)? What do you get for $1295 on that T6 ??? I can't find the numbers anywhere.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is the T6 numbers

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Thanks for that. I'm not seeing compelling numbers UNless the shift-points, etc are changed such that the car is much more enjoyable in the upper-mid-range. The fact that my friend's "new" S60 already has it installed makes it a good deal for him, I reckon. How does his "stock" 316hp fit into this equation???

Would you happen to have a similar readout for the T5 like my XC40 has??? Please and thank you.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The curves only tell one side of the story. The P* tune has few more tricks. Shifting is more aggressive and the shift points are better calibrated to use the peak torque of the twin charge engine. The transmission also holds revs higher to keep the turbo spooling. It is great for canyon carving.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
This is the T6 numbers

It’s interesting that the car is pulling power when in eco or comfort mode.

When dealing with Audi and there drive select when we tune and Dyno the car the drive select has nothing to do with power.

It does change shift points, audio, engine noise, other stuff but not engine power.

Don’t know enough on the Volvo set up but still wired that drive select in Volvo changes HP and Torque of the engine based on the graph above

·
Registered
12 Posts
I noticed a big difference in normal driving on a P* vs non P*. Transmission tuning is much crisper and the mid range is noticeably stronger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm also looking at potentially going for the P* upgrade on my V60 T5, however I'm still in doubt about engine reliability (pumping even more out of the 4-cylinder engine is that smart?). Any thoughts on that?

Strangely enough when I asked my dealer's technician he was not very convinced that the P* upgrade would make the gearbox much better in terms of shifting (I think the shifting sometimes lags when you need it to shift quickly on for instance a takeover), it seems with most of the answers here that it does actually make the gearbox better. Interesting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I got my 2018 V60 last year I added the P* when I got a discount coupon. Conclusion: you can't tell. Don't waste your money.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts