SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://us11.campaign-archive2.com/?u=bbaa9544b3b0141c66b27c9fe&id=b18384d03e&e=7934b9e3da

Here is the text from the news release:

Following the sales of its performance division to Volvo Cars, Polestar Racing changes name to become Cyan Racing under continued ownership of Christian Dahl.
"We are returning to the very core of our passion: motorsport. The new name represents our cyan-blue colour which carries a proud heritage of Swedish motorsport on race tracks all over the world," said Christian Dahl, CEO and sole owner of Cyan Racing.

The renamed Cyan Racing has been responsible for the motorsport programmes of Volvo Cars since 1996 and will continue to be so as the official motorsport partner to Polestar, the Volvo Cars Performance Division.

Cyan Racing has since its foundation in 1996 claimed 14 titles, over 100 race victories and more than 220 podium finishes while racing in the STCC, WTCC, V8 Supercars and other championships.

The performance section of the racing company was started in 2009, introducing the successful Polestar Performance Optimisation for Volvo cars, followed a year later by the first concept car in the form of the Volvo C30 Polestar Concept. That car laid the foundation for the first production cars of the company, the Volvo S60 and V60 Polestar, introduced in 2013.

"It has been an amazing journey developing the first performance foundation of Polestar. We will continue a close relationship with our efforts now focused 100 per cent on motorsport and we have an exciting future ahead of us together," said Dahl.

Next up for the team is the penultimate round of the 2015 Scandinavian Touring Car Championship at Solvalla in the Swedish capital Stockholm on September 11-12th.
Further news on the future motorsport plans of Cyan Racing will be communicated shortly.

Note to editors about Cyan Racing:

Volvo has acquired Polestar Performance AB, which comprises a range performance products including performance-edition cars and performance drivetrain optimisations, as well as Polestar Holding AB, which is the owner of the Polestar trademarks. Volvo has not acquired the racing division of Polestar, now named Cyan Racing and still owned by Christian Dahl. Polestar is Volvo Cars Performance Division and Cyan Racing is the official motorsport partner to Polestar.

For further information: [email protected]

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
I literally just saw this on my twitter feed and rushed over to post it.

I like the logo. We knew this was probably going to happen, though.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I dont get it. Does this mean, that only the motorsport division of Polestar changes its name to Cyan or does it mean that the future Volvo Polestar Performance models will also be named cyan. So everything Cyan??

·
Registered
128 Posts
I suppose the spinoff was inevitable. Business being business I guess this makes it easier for Volvo to choose a new motorsports partner or stop funding Cyan Motorsports (or any motorsports venture for that matter) in the future should they so decide. Seems kind of strange to me to give up the source of all the goodwill that the Polestar name brand has earned Volvo through Polestar's motorsport efforts. But then again, what do I know?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I dont get it. Does this mean, that only the motorsport division of Polestar changes its name to Cyan or does it mean that the future Volvo Polestar Performance models will also be named cyan. So everything Cyan??
Only the Racing division, owned by Dahl is Cyan. The Polestar name and brand is 100% owned by Volvo now so he had to change the name of his racing company.

I suppose the spinoff was inevitable. Business being business I guess this makes it easier for Volvo to choose a new motorsports partner or stop funding Cyan Motorsports (or any motorsports venture for that matter) in the future should they so decide. Seems kind of strange to me to give up the source of all the goodwill that the Polestar name brand has earned Volvo through Polestar's motorsport efforts. But then again, what do I know?
This was in the original press release when Volvo bought Polestar. Volvo bought the Polestar name and branding and the racing team was getting renamed.

From the original Press Release "The Polestar racing team will remain under the control of Christian Dahl, the former owner of Polestar, and will be renamed. The Polestar brand will continue to work alongside Christian Dahl." https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/media/pressreleases/165856/volvo-cars-buys-100-per-cent-of-polestar

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge Pro AWD
457 Posts
This is it....
Note to editors about Cyan Racing:

Volvo has acquired Polestar Performance AB, which comprises a range performance products including performance-edition cars and performance drivetrain optimisations, as well as Polestar Holding AB, which is the owner of the Polestar trademarks. Volvo has not acquired the racing division of Polestar, now named Cyan Racing and still owned by Christian Dahl. Polestar is Volvo Cars Performance Division and Cyan Racing is the official motorsport partner to Polestar.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hi all,

We appreciate this could be a bit confusing, but as some of you already have pointed out:

"Polestar is Volvo Cars Performance Division and Cyan Racing is the official motorsport partner to Polestar."

That is the core essence of the message. We (Polestar) will continue to produce/develop performance versions of Volvo cars as well as performance optimisations. Cyan Racing is the new name of the racing company (previously named Polestar Racing) that is owned by Christian Dahl. They will continue to handle the motorsport programmes on assignment from us (Polestar).

Kind regards,
Polestar

·
Registered
128 Posts
I completely understand what you're doing. I just can't understand why you've done it that way. This would be like Mercedes-Benz buying AMG and then promoting AMG branded street cars while stripping the AMG logo from all racing efforts. It just makes no sense. When you divorce the two in name you dilute the overall brand. Polestar was built upon a motorsports foundation. To erase that heritage is to create an orphan.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I completely understand what you're doing. I just can't understand why you've done it that way. This would be like Mercedes-Benz buying AMG and then promoting AMG branded street cars while stripping the AMG logo from all racing efforts. It just makes no sense. When you divorce the two in name you dilute the overall brand. Polestar was built upon a motorsports foundation. To erase that heritage is to create an orphan.
Hi freedomgli,

We are not stripping the Polestar logo from the racing efforts. The team name is Polestar Cyan Racing. Just like the structure of Mercedes/AMG/HWA in the DTM. We are neither erasing the motorsport heritage, the cooperation will remain just as close between Polestar and Cyan as it was between Polestar Performance and Polestar Racing in the past.

Kind regards,
Polestar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts