SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Volvo S90 announcement in Detroit, they are emphasizing their future reliance on 4 cylinder engines. What is the future of Polestar vehicles if that is the case, just a juiced turbo-4? I cannot find any speculation or facts relating to the future.
Larry

·
Registered
358 Posts
No official announcement that I'm aware of.. but this video seems to suggest that 450hp 4 cylinder Polestars are in the works...

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Yes. It has been said many times before. At this moment the Volvo future is I4 only either diesel or gasoline. The I4 T6 is currently rated at 320 HP max. The engine is good. The thing more worrisome is the expected combination with electro drive. It will kill everything a petrolhead likes to see in the car. Should be lean petrol engine only with mechanical AWD. All options optional. A low weight maximum performing base line and if people want to turn it in to a hauler/cruiser then the options can be selected.
Electro drive combined means overweight. Short lived performance. No power cord long enough to let the fun last. Besides that Volvo is already serving those who are looking for low tax- low emission solutions.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Why isnt this clear to you? No more 6 cylinders for volvo means no more 6 cylinders for Polestar.

It is cetrain (ihave no source though) that the next V60 Polestar with 4 cylinder turbo is in the works as we discuss it here. Approx. with 370-380 HP (statement dealer).

It will be lighter, faster, stronger, more efficient but probably sound worse!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
370-380hp is one thing, but how much torque is more important. The top spec T6 Drive-E only has 295ft-lbs. 84ft-lbs is a large delta, just to get where we are today(rated) and over 100ft-lbs to where we are in in actuality base on dynos, so faster and stronger is not an absolute.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It isn't clear to me because I think a 4 cylinder flies in the face of what a Polestar should be, but I understand that is where Euro cars are headed. As was said, it is not just about HP or even how much boost it takes to get there. It would not be outrageous for Polestar to have a completely different engine; AMG has done that for years, Corvette even did it for a while.
I wanted to consider a Polestar in the future but I will not own a 4 cylinder car again. Seems too much like the Japanese and Korean choices. Admittedly even Porsche, with the 718, is going that way. Thankfully, there are still 6 and 8 cylinder cars to be built.

Larry

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
It isn't clear to me because I think a 4 cylinder flies in the face of what a Polestar should be, but I understand that is where Euro cars are headed. As was said, it is not just about HP or even how much boost it takes to get there. It would not be outrageous for Polestar to have a completely different engine; AMG has done that for years, Corvette even did it for a while.
I wanted to consider a Polestar in the future but I will not own a 4 cylinder car again. Seems too much like the Japanese and Korean choices. Admittedly even Porsche, with the 718, is going that way. Thankfully, there are still 6 and 8 cylinder cars to be built.

Larry
There are also 2016 P* still available if you want the I6. You just can't procrastinate if it means that much to you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I talked with a dealer about one, but getting out of my lease was too expensive. I am looking to what I will do in the 2018 model year. The choices get smaller. Polestar is probably out. The Porsche Cayman(718) is out and now Mercedes has eliminated the SLK55AMG. The Jaguar F-Type R is looking better and better, although who know by 2018?
Larry

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I talked with a dealer about one, but getting out of my lease was too expensive. I am looking to what I will do in the 2018 model year. The choices get smaller. Polestar is probably out. The Porsche Cayman(718) is out and now Mercedes has eliminated the SLK55AMG. The Jaguar F-Type R is looking better and better, although who know by 2018?
Larry
Worry about it in 2018. There should be quite a few interesting choices by then.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
No official announcement that I'm aware of.. but this video seems to suggest that 450hp 4 cylinder Polestars are in the works...
That video is hot air. A panic Volvo marketing response to try to keep customers from running away from the (2.0) I4 only decision.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I need to worry about over the next year, because whatever choice I make will require an order in the Spring of 2017(MY 2018) for delivery Summer 2017. It is fun trying to collect the rumors and speculation, as will continue to do over the next year. I'm retired so I have the time to waste my time. My wife has a V60 R-Design(stock Polestar tune) and we will treasure that.
Larry

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just bought one of the last 2015 V60P here in the UK, it appears to me at least, they are trying to shift them fast, prices are £14-15k off list price for delivery mileage at the moment.

I have heard rumours that these will be the last 6 cylinder cars. So I didn't want to wait. Who knows, it's all speculation at the moment.

I'm hoping to keep it for a long time so I'm happy to have the 6 cylinder engine over a 4 cylinder one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
That video is hot air. A panic Volvo marketing response to try to keep customers from running away from the (2.0) I4 only decision.
I am glad you are in the "know" of things and can decipher the future based on a video clip!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I am glad you are in the "know" of things and can decipher the future based on a video clip!
You really can't handle people having their own opinions about Volvo's future. Johann has enough Volvo history to make his own educated guesses. He also owns two of Volvo's Special Edition performance vehicle, one with the Drive-E engine. You could benefit a lot more from actually listening to your "customers" thoughts and using them to provide feedback to Sweden, rather than trying to argue with your "customers".

·
Registered
889 Posts
Look F1 cars in the 80's made 1500hp out of Turbo 4's that were small. The number of cylinders doesn't matter one bit. More power out of a smaller engine means more stress on parts which will likely mean shorter life but 200hp per liter isn't a crazy number, but it would be really high for a production engine. I think Mercedes has the highest output with the CLA45 at 350hp (175hp per liter). And it feels like that motor might be a bit over rated it doesn't feel that quick. I personally think more cylinders the better it sounds so all 4 bangers is a bummer for sound reasons IMHO. My Non turbo Honda motor makes at much Hp at the wheels as my T6 R-design. But it sounds like a 4 banger.... however at 9000rpm it does sound pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
You really can't handle people having their own opinions about Volvo's future. Johann has enough Volvo history to make his own educated guesses. He also owns two of Volvo's Special Edition performance vehicle, one with the Drive-E engine.
It has nothing with what you write about. Of course, I am going to challenge silly statements such as the one above. Still, Johann and I go back a long way and I have LOADS of respect for his Volvo knowledge and insight (and I know he knows that). The comment he made, above, is unsubstantiated by FACTS. It is more an expression of him disliking the direction of where Polestar MAY be headed which is his right to do so. Nonetheless, when you post such a comment, you should expect an answer. Neither he or you do not know for a fact that this is a "panic move". Very strong words.

Johann does not need an advocate; he can debate/argue on his own.

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge Pro AWD
456 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts