SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a huge favor from fellow polestar owners.

Can someone post a pic for me of their brakes. I'm not sure if Iam seeing a cracked pad in half or if it's like that on purpose. I'll post mine in a bit. They are dirty and we have a water-ban on washing cars right now. Due to heavy fires we wasted too much water putting them out in BC.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
@P50GT, you had Volvo rear pads and not the Brembo rear pads.

@majic, which pads are you referring to? If it is a rear pad, is it labelled Brembo?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
@P50GT, you had Volvo rear pads and not the Brembo rear pads.

@majic, which pads are you referring to? If it is a rear pad, is it labelled Brembo?
According to both Volvo and P*, the fact that they were Volvo vs Brembo pads was irrelevant. They were defective.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Concerned about the Front Pads. Heard metal on metal for like 30seconds of driving and went away.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hmm that is weird. I have 10000 miles on my Polestar incl. 8 laps of Nordschleife and I dont have any problems. There must be something wrong.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Concerned about the Front Pads. Heard metal on metal for like 30seconds of driving and went away.
Are you in Seattle? My old Shop Foreman is now in Bellevue and he worked on my car when it had the brake issues. I would suggest going there if you can and asking to have him look at it as he already has experience with this. I'll PM you his info if you want.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's okay I'll have a closer look at it my self. Time to change oil I'll bring her in soon anyways. There has been no decrease stopping performance. But just wanted to compare the design of the pads sitting in calipers

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I have a bunch of pics of my front wheel but the giant caliper hides the pad. If there is a certain angle you are looking for, let me know.

When I went for a drive with the 6 other Volvos a few weeks ago, I had an issue after we ended up on a road covered in loose gravel. I all of a sudden started hearing what sounded like someone was digging a chunk of metal into my front right rotor. It sounded really loud and awful. It was loud enough for the cars in front and behind to hear. When I got everyone to pull over, I saw two pieces of gravel fall out of my rotor. The sound was immediately gone and the small groove created by it was completely gone as well by the end of our drive. If it wasn't so blatantly obvious that it was caused by gravel from that road, I could have easily thought it was a piece of metal from the pad or elsewhere causing that sound. The fact that my rotor was smooth when I got home also would have concealed what had happened.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My front brakes are pulsating, indicating "warped" rotors. I am dumbfounded...4,900 miles, no track time, just basic DD duty. Considering these are track grade, and I take the necessary precautions for brake care, not sure what is going on. Poor/no bedding initially? I'll check the torque of lug nuts since the wheels have been off the car. Any other thoughts? Going in for this issue on Tuesday and the dealer has already ordered/received new rotors in the event they need to be replaced (they didn't balk at the potential of a warranty claim).

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Because of limitations with the electric parking brakes, the V60s (even the Polestars with front 6-piston Brembos) are over-braked in front for the weight distribution.
The Polestars get slightly shorter braking numbers than the older Rs (4-piston 330 mm Brembos all around) but I've never heard of an R - tracked or street - with warped rotors.
P.S.: Know because I've ordered a 2016 V60 R-Design to replace our V70R, and no luck on any brake upgrades other than to the front Polestar Brembos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
...and with the better tires etc. it would be even better (and better balanced) on a V60P if you could put 4-piston Brembos of at least 330mm at the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
My front brakes are pulsating, indicating "warped" rotors. I am dumbfounded...4,900 miles, no track time, just basic DD duty. Considering these are track grade, and I take the necessary precautions for brake care, not sure what is going on. Poor/no bedding initially? I'll check the torque of lug nuts since the wheels have been off the car. Any other thoughts? Going in for this issue on Tuesday and the dealer has already ordered/received new rotors in the event they need to be replaced (they didn't balk at the potential of a warranty claim).
More than likely this is an issue with pad deposits. Stoptech has a good write-up on the myth of "warped rotors", link below. I had this problem on my sti from time to time, usually after a wash and having the car sit for a few days. The rust on the rotor would bond some of the pad material to it. Redoing the brake bedding procedure should get rid of it.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

·
Registered
361 Posts
More than likely this is an issue with pad deposits. Stoptech has a good write-up on the myth of "warped rotors", link below. I had this problem on my sti from time to time, usually after a wash and having the car sit for a few days. The rust on the rotor would bond some of the pad material to it. Redoing the brake bedding procedure should get rid of it.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths
Tend to agree with you..I had Stoptechs on my first RS4. Lots of pad material since the OEM calipers are 8 piston! Anyway, it would have this exact characteristic. Driving it around immediately after a wash to dry the pads and remove rotor corrosion would help, but it would still be there. The only thing that causes me to pause is it didn't take aggressive bedding for it to go away. Regular use would make it go away in a few days. The P* has been used for about 10 days in dry conditions with no relief, and this pulsating just feels different than what I had on my RS4 with Stoptechs. Looked for hot spots or other abnormalities, but nothing overtly obvious (besides my ugly rock groove on the driver side rotor, but that shouldn't affect performance). I'm willing to bed them again to see if it helps.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for fixing that link first time posting a pic on here. So that small gap in between the pad right above the loaded spring is normal ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts