SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
What do you guys, think about V60P* as a daily driver?
I have opportunity to buy RB V60P*, I'm in my 50th, close to 60. But I drive C30T5 with Polestar upgrade, and my driving style is so called "spirited".
I'm not a racer and the P* will never see a track, and I don't like firm ride, so I will adjust it to softer one.
I like uniqueness of the car, bold statement and reliability of the Volvo.
I drive to work and back everyday, mostly on HWY, but we are driving to The States often, around 1800km a loop.
As mentioned before here, price difference between P* and fully loaded V60 Rdesign is not considerable.
And I have a large (100lb) dog, who is traveling with us.
None of the Toronto area dealers who has Polestar in stock doesn't want to give a test drive.
I've read almost all the post here, and it was always mentioned, how it's a sport car mostly, but what about as a regular car with a lot of potential.
What is your opinion of the car as just a daily driver.
Overkill....?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Great fun, easy to park, AWD, relatively good mpg, stealthy and a GREAT dog hauler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi all,
I have opportunity to buy RB V60P*, I'm in my 50th, close to 60. But I drive C30T5 with Polestar upgrade, and my driving style is so called "spirited".
I'm not a racer and the P* will never see a track, and I don't like firm ride, so I will adjust it to softer one.
I drive to work and back everyday, mostly on HWY, but we are driving to The States often, around 1800km a loop.
As mentioned before here, price difference between P* and fully loaded V60 Rdesign is not considerable.
None of the Toronto area dealers who has Polestar in stock doesn't want to give a test drive.
I've read almost all the post here, and it was always mentioned, how it's a sport car mostly, but what about as a regular car with a lot of potential.
Overkill....?

Thanks in advance
Too cold to safely allow you to test drive with summer tires on the car.

Rear suspension is very stiff, so any humans or sensitive dogs in the back will get a jolting firm ride. Otherwise, fantastic car if you already love your C30 and want a huge step-up in performance and handling at the expense of firmer ride.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
It's my DD. I think it is a great car for a daily but it does concern me with your comment about a firm ride. I love the ride of the P* but there is no way around it, it's firm because that is what a proper Sports Suspension should be. With the Rear Suspension set to 10, my dog is comfortable in the back. With it at 8, it was too firm for him to lay down for more than a few seconds before a bump would jolt him up. This is how I think it compares to the RD as far as the feel of the Suspension. On a standard rough road, it is going to feel firmer than the RD because well it is. The funny thing is that when you start moving and hitting road imperfections and bigger bumps, it actually is a lot smoother than the RD because the Ohlins are engaged. My car will never see a track either, but I do quite a bit of driving in the hills. To me, it is the perfect car for the spirited driver with a dog, because that is exactly who I am. If you are simply going to be going back and forth to work and don't plan to be doing any "fun drives" it may be overkill but only you can decide how you would use it. The car is amazing and worth every penny it sells for.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The suspension really is a work of art, due to the air release system when they hit sudden bumps, my usual car is a 370Z which is similar stiffness but hit a bump in that and my teeth fall out, the P*s ive driven both on and off track just smooth everything out, yes its firm but I like that as it gives instant control if needed.

Im finding out next month if my salary package involves a car allowance and if it does I have to buy a car within our companies group of brands in order to get the allowance, fortunately Volvo is in that group so it will be a P* for me. I will then split that between the 370z as my daily drivers. If the allowance doesn't come off well im waiting to see how much the new Focus RS is in the region I live, if its significantly cheaper I will probably get that as I do 5-7 track days a year and I can easily use that for both uses, if the price is close to the P* I will still get the Volvo.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
...Im finding out next month if my salary package involves a car allowance and if it does I have to buy a car within our companies group of brands in order to get the allowance, fortunately Volvo is in that group so it will be a P* for me. I will then split that between the 370z as my daily drivers. If the allowance doesn't come off well im waiting to see how much the new Focus RS is in the region I live, if its significantly cheaper I will probably get that as I do 5-7 track days a year and I can easily use that for both uses, if the price is close to the P* I will still get the Volvo.
Obviously every market is different, especially yours, but the Focus RS is going to be almost half the cost of the P* in the US ($35k vs $62k). Granted the P* is fully loaded, so we'll see how much the RS is when options are piled on but the P* is also crazy expensive in most other markets.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Obviously every market is different, especially yours, but the Focus RS is going to be almost half the cost of the P* in the US ($35k vs $62k). Granted the P* is fully loaded, so we'll see how much the RS is when options are piled on but the P* is also crazy expensive in most other markets.
As I work for the importer I do get a P* at cost price, so it helps. Ford refuse to give any indication on pricing in the ME for the new RS, but as it will be limited numbers they will want to make good profit out of them, plus as you say with options lightweight wheels, recaro seats etc it will add up, but will see. The RS would be more of a track toy and not an everyday car and ultimately I do need a car for both. If the company car allowance comes my way its a no brainer, P* will be the only option regardless of prices so lets hope on the allowance!

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
Hi all,
Overkill....?

Thanks in advance
I believe the P* is the absolute finest compromise between a nearly true racing setup and daily driver that the consumer market has to offer. The suspension adjustments are not difficult with a small bit of effort. If you can embrace the need for different setups, probably only two one soft one firm, on the suspension side, then this car will make you very happy. Yes, it is overkill. But if you appreciate that ability to span setups, with the boot to match, it is a very difficult setup to beat. But I would say you have to drive it and appreciate the character in sport mode. If that aggressive exhaust note and shifting is not your thing, then it is probably a bit much for your purposes.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Its my DD as well. It can do almost anything, but it DOES have a stiff ride, even at 10/10 (my opinion). I'm at the edge of beeing ok with it at 10/10 as a DD. It dont know if a person, who doesnt like a stiff ride, will be ok with it in 20/15...

To compare (it might help you): the dynamic setting in the current RS4 is clearly stiffer than the Polestars 10/10, while the normal mode is just a tad softer than the Polestars 10/10. This is what I experienced after driving a lot with my mums RS4 lately.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
You can already build the Focus RS on Ford's online builder....I was able to Max it out at $42,970 (USD). From the Ford Canada Builder the RS is $49,664 with no available building options other than exterior colors.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You can already build the Focus RS on Ford's online builder....I was able to Max it out at $42,970 (USD). From the Ford Canada Builder the RS is $49,664 with no available building options other than exterior colors.
It gives a rough guide, trouble is in the middle east the prices of cars tend to make very little sense, especially US cars/prices when comparing. But will see what Ford ME come back with.

Uk price maxed out I think from memory is about 49k USD, which will be an indication of what we get here in ME, possibly. All guess work at the moment.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for inputs,
I think, I can adjust setting for a little softer one, like 15/12 and it will be OK.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Try the default 10/10 to start with. You will be surprised how composed the suspension really is on these P*'s. At least you have the option to tune the Öhlins to your liking.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thanks guys for inputs,
I think, I can adjust setting for a little softer one, like 15/12 and it will be OK.
If you dont like a stiff ride, like you quoted, then you definitely wont be satisfied with 15/12, because it is the rear that makes the car feel stiff. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you dont like a stiff ride, like you quoted, then you definitely wont be satisfied with 15/12, because it is the rear that makes the car feel stiff. Just my opinion.
+1 Even at 13/13, the rear is uncomfortable for anyone sitting there. The car modifications were designed for the driver. If you can say "who cares" to those in the back, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I guess everyone's idea of stiff is a little different. At 10/10, 15/13, and 20/15, my 15 month old has no problem sleeping in her car seat in the back on road trips.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I guess everyone's idea of stiff is a little different. At 10/10, 15/13, and 20/15, my 15 month old has no problem sleeping in her car seat in the back on road trips.
Future rallye driver in the making!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts