·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
But I am curious who would choose the less powerful single motor that only with two rows of seats, just to get a big trunk?

They should use recliner seats for the 2nd row, or even make a 4-seater "Excellence" version.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm starting to think the Polestar 3 Volvo Alfie (and Alfie Atkins - Wikipedia) as similar to EV6 and Ioniq 5. Close but still distinct cars. Will be interesting to see if Polestar and Volvo can do more differentiation than Kia and Huyndai or not.

As for luxury, Polestar has attempted to create an image for itself that it will be more sporty and Volvo would be the more soft brand. Which I would read more in a sense that Volvo would/should have the Excellence luxury version.

Edit: now obviously Thomas stated that:

Having two rows gives the opportunity to give the car that aerodynamic roofline, it gives the chance to emphasize the space between the first and second rows, which really gives the second row a luxurious feeling.”
So yeah, does it mean that second row is brought backwards giving it more space and in this context the space is the luxury? We'll have to see.

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok, I will wait for the Polestar Precept production car, lol. This test/prototype/validation car already looks good.

View attachment 134291

The UK R&D team will play a crucial role in the brand’s continued evolution, immediately focusing on the development of the Polestar Precept, first revealed in 2020, and confirmed for production before 2025.
I think that's the first time I've seen any year mentioned with Precept production. Granted, it states "before 2025" meaning anything between 2022 - 2024 (yeah I'll write 2021 off). And I'd wager that it's not 2022 either making me to be more inclined to believe it would be 2024. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Is that a B-pillar I'm seeing?

Does Precept land as P*4?

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the P*4 I think. Will be built in a new factory in China. The price range I guess would be like Tesla S, Porsche Panarama, eg, $90k to $110k. Probably within budget of some folks, but not every big volume. If they make a smaller one, would be selling better.

I hope they have a smaller SUV on their roadmap. A SPA2 P*2 and a smaller SUV (size between XC40 and XC60) should be the real meat and butter models for them.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Not even a passing mention of range, not optimistic given the inefficiency of the Polestar 2
This will go onto dedicated EV platform, so I'd speculate that it will be competitive...

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right, for a sedan with this size, I suspect it could go up to 400 miles range, 300 to 350 miles between charges from 10% to 80%.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm surprised that Polestar released this picture before the 3 comes out. I'd think that they want most of our attention on that since it's coming up next. Having said that, the Precept (4) is looking very promising. There have been various articles on Volvo working to increase range. I'm sure that they'll improve over the 2. They pretty much have to to stay competitive.

·
Registered
196 Posts
This is the P*4 I think. Will be built in a new factory in China. The price range I guess would be like Tesla S, Porsche Panarama, eg, $90k to $110k. Probably within budget of some folks, but not every big volume. If they make a smaller one, would be selling better.

I hope they have a smaller SUV on their roadmap. A SPA2 P*2 and a smaller SUV (size between XC40 and XC60) should be the real meat and butter models for them.
Polestar 4 is a competitor to the Macan/I-Pace. Should slot directly between P*2 and P*3 in terms of size and be a coupe like both of them. Since it’s the furthest model out it should share more new stuff from the P*3 than the CMA-derived P*2

Precept will most likely have it’s own unique name (if not the existing name)

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Polestar 4 is a competitor to the Macan/I-Pace. Should slot directly between P*2 and P*3 in terms of size and be a coupe like both of them. Since it’s the furthest model out it should share more new stuff from the P*3 than the CMA-derived P*2

Precept will most likely have it’s own unique name (if not the existing name)
It probably will be numbered when in production.

Ingenlath declined to allocate the model a number, but confirmed that it would slot into Polestar’s naming pattern. “We will not change our nomenclature that quickly,” he said, “but as a codeword for us to work with until it gets to production, let’s call it Precept.”
And it is called P*4 in recent reports:

In the pipeline is the Polestar 3 as a large SUV based on the next-generation platform for the Volvo XC90, due in 2022, and that will be followed by the Polestar 4, a production take on last year’s Polestar Precept Concept.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm surprised that Polestar released this picture before the 3 comes out. I'd think that they want most of our attention on that since it's coming up next. Having said that, the Precept (4) is looking very promising. There have been various articles on Volvo working to increase range. I'm sure that they'll improve over the 2. They pretty much have to to stay competitive.
I get where you're getting at, but when we look at the track record of what Polestar has been doing lately, they have been milking the Precept out reaaaaally much. Regarding Polestar 3 it's been flat out "full details 2022" all the time. Frankly, I'm (pleasantly) surprised they even showed the covered version of it.

And I do want to highlight, I agree with you and I think they really should start, at bare minimum, teasing the 3 already.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Time seems frozen last year and this year for me so far. Oh am I getting old.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Time seems frozen last year and this year for me so far. Oh am I getting old.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk
Time waits for no one. JK.

On the main topic, the Polestar 3 peak my interest but there's so little information out there that the excitement and impatience just keeps building. As an EV built from the ground up, I have high hopes Polestar/Volvo Group delivers on the execution, and so far from an aesthetic standpoint they have been relatively true to what the production car was based on, Polestar 1 (Volvo Coupe Concept), Polestar 2 (Volvo 40.2), and this upcoming Sport Utility Vehicle is a blank slate other than the Precept design....

As mentioned in other threads there are compelling competition out there which is ultimately good for the consumers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts