SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Meanwhile the lifetime average with my driving habits is 50.2 mpg over 12,000 miles with my T8. Love it!
12k miles / ~239 total gallons into the tank = 50.2 mpg?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've been trying to figure out the difference between the upcoming xc90 replacement and the Polestar 3. Thomas Ingenlath said it'll be 5 meters, so around the same length. But looking at the teaser it seems it'll be the "coupe" version of the platform and the xc90 will be taller. The difference is probably it is a sportier, coupe version and Polestars are sportier than Volvos are, overall.

As far as the xc100 goes, from the silhouette teaser, it looks like it'll have the potential to be boxy in the rear, so more room and utility and hopefully a decent amount of space for 3rd row passengers. The Concept Recharge is upright in the rear, but sloped. That can be easily modified for an xc100 shape.

·
Registered
281 Posts
12k miles / ~239 total gallons into the tank = 50.2 mpg?
Yes that is correct. My mpg has dropped recently to 47.2 at 14,274 miles. That translates to 302 gallons used so far. You ask why? Because I have been enjoying Polestar mode a lot and freaking love it! Damn this is fun to drive!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've been trying to figure out the difference between the upcoming xc90 replacement and the Polestar 3. Thomas Ingenlath said it'll be 5 meters, so around the same length. But looking at the teaser it seems it'll be the "coupe" version of the platform and the xc90 will be taller. The difference is probably it is a sportier, coupe version and Polestars are sportier than Volvos are, overall.

As far as the xc100 goes, from the silhouette teaser, it looks like it'll have the potential to be boxy in the rear, so more room and utility and hopefully a decent amount of space for 3rd row passengers. The Concept Recharge is upright in the rear, but sloped. That can be easily modified for an xc100 shape.
That’s right on the nose. They’ll probably have similarities from both being first out of the gate on SPA 2. Whether Polestar will be the ‘coupe’ versions of the Volvo SUVs remains to be seen (depends on if C40 spinning off from XC40 is a one off or a trend…C60 maybe?).

With Polestar 2 vs XC40 (when both were cut from the same concept cloth), I think the interior difference came from XC40 needing to follow the mold of existing Volvo interior design, while Polestar was able to test the waters a bit more with the floating CSD and different center console. If you compare the Precept interior with Concept recharge there’s a lot of similarities and downright copies. Stalk modules are 100% the same. DIM/CSD screen concepts are exactly same and so are the general designs of the center console. So with that I’m getting the feeling that a lot will be shared between XC90 and PS3.

Exterior remains to be seen. Polestar has had more recent big releases to define a new language: grille, headlamps, and light bar on PS2 as well as the headlamps on Precept that get copied onto a lot of PS3 mock-ups. Meanwhile Volvo hasn’t had as much freedom in pushing the extents of their EV design language. XC40 BEV only slapped on a color match grille. C40 appears to have a more tightly integrated grille (if it’s not 100% built into the bumper already). But besides lamps inspired by P*, not much is revolutionary there. Concept recharge however shows the new lamps and completely grille/nose-less bumper, both new and distinct from Polestar.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
10 years ago Volvo talked about a PHEV with 100 miles electric range. I think the first to market with a long range PHEV would have a huge winner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
10 years ago Volvo talked about a PHEV with 100 miles electric range. I think the first to market with a long range PHEV would have a huge winner.

But the long range PHEV from GM, aka Volt range extender, has been discontinued after only a few years.

I love range extender, but media and people think it not cool. :(

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
But the long range PHEV from GM, aka Volt range extender, has been discontinued after only a few years.

I love range extender, but media and people think it not cool. :(
Too many other things wrong with the car. The successful PHEV I’m talking about would still have to be a great car…..good acceleration, practical, good looking, well built etc.

Technology will make Fully electric vehicles the vehicle of choice in the long run but in the short run a T8 with 100 miles of all electric range would sell I think. Especially if it could recharge fully in 20 minutes….it eliminates range anxiety while allowing you to go electric for 99% of your local outings. For long trips you can use it as an ICE vehicle…..at least I’d buy it….

·
Registered
166 Posts
Too many other things wrong with the car. The successful PHEV I’m talking about would still have to be a great car…..good acceleration, practical, good looking, well built etc.

Technology will make Fully electric vehicles the vehicle of choice in the long run but in the short run a T8 with 100 miles of all electric range would sell I think. Especially if it could recharge fully in 20 minutes….it eliminates range anxiety while allowing you to go electric for 99% of your local outings. For long trips you can use it as an ICE vehicle…..at least I’d buy it….

A 20 mile phev like the one they have works for a lot of buyers. Most family trips are under ten miles each way. 100 miles is more of a work range and running ice part of the way isn’t a deal breaker given that I can charge at work. The new XC100 will be all electric and by that time the XC90 range could be 30 miles. I think that’s more than enough choice for an suv.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
A 20 mile phev like the one they have works for a lot of buyers. Most family trips are under ten miles each way. 100 miles is more of a work range and running ice part of the way isn’t a deal breaker given that I can charge at work. The new XC100 will be all electric and by that time the XC90 range could be 30 miles. I think that’s more than enough choice for an suv.
I can understand people always wants more from a car at this price. They don't mind carry more battery that is not actually used in daily life. However 30 miles e range will be more attractive of course, and is probably possible in SPA already. I will wait and see what LynkCo 09 PHEV will offer, with higher battery capacity and 100+ HP motor on SPA platform.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

Reactions: T8 or not T8

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
On the topic of EV range:

BTW, a 20-mile electricity range is more like 8-10 in the northern climes [esp. during winter months]. I barely get into town which suggests for me that a 30-mile electric range would be minimal and up to 100 mile would be a useful. I would leave to the engineers (but not marketing) to figure out the optimal range and battery size in between.

Some of us may still remember the originally promoted range of 25 miles for the MY16 XC90 T8 that never happened.

See 2016 Volvo XC90 T8 Plug-In Hybrid 'Twin Engine': First Drive

Twenty-five miles would have been fine whereas 8-13 miles is not.

If a battery range upgrade were made available (along with the 3G > 4G LTE upgrade), I would keep my MY16 XC90 T8 Inscription dream car for several more years in the spirit of preserving the Earth and Climate and avoiding another depreciation write-down that I do not get to write off and doing my best to self-insure repairs once the extended warranty ends.

On the topic of an BEV XC90 or a better PHEV XC90, I look forward to the evolution and transition. I will keep my options open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: T8 or not T8

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
The computer storage revolution must revisit the battery technology so we can have few hundreds of additional range from the same sized battery in the T8

I've never gotten more than 22Km range with my car even when I turn off radio and HVAC

Our roads are a little hilly and eat up battery juice quite quickly

Sent from my DUB-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: likeXC90

·
Registered
348 Posts
At times my car is plugged in for 12+ hours at a time, for a mere 24 miles during warmer weather. After a while i came to the conclusion in those 12hrs i could have charged over half the battery pack of a BEV, at one time. That would last over a week in my commute.

I love my T8, it's a techno marvel, but I'm ready for trade in to a XC90 (or whatever they will call it) EV. I hope the feds will increase the EV rebate to 10k. If XC90 EV will come in at same price point as the BMW IX, i maybe looking at Rivian.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The computer storage revolution must revisit the battery technology so we can have few hundreds of additional range from the same sized battery in the T8
Solid state batteries are our best hope!

·
Registered
166 Posts
At times my car is plugged in for 12+ hours at a time, for a mere 24 miles during warmer weather. After a while i came to the conclusion in those 12hrs i could have charged over half the battery pack of a BEV, at one time. That would last over a week in my commute.

I love my T8, it's a techno marvel, but I'm ready for trade in to a XC90 (or whatever they will call it) EV. I hope the feds will increase the EV rebate to 10k. If XC90 EV will come in at same price point as the BMW IX, i maybe looking at Rivian.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
I want the ev too but it won’t be here for three years or so, at least if you want a Volvo. There aren’t many 7 passenger ev models out there.. none that have three real rows of seating. The way I see the charging is I get to do most of my trips without using gas/getting closer to having to go to a gas station. It doesn’t bother me that it takes a long time to charge. If I have to go to ice mode due to no charge I’m just where I’d be if it was a T6.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts