SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen the announcement of the Polestar 3, where they mentioned it is the new large electric SUV that will be released in 2022. I assume this is going to be similar in size to the current XC90, any idea about the timelines and specs? My lease is up in Spring 2022, but I get the impression this SUV won't be released until the summer at the earliest. Can you extend your lease for a couple of months until the Polestar 3 is released?

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
It probably be revealed in late 2022 and delivered at same time as XC90 the earliest, if not months later. Summer 2023 is my guess. You can lease another car for 2 or 3 years or try Car by Volvo for a year.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
It probably be revealed in late 2022 and delivered at same time as XC90 the earliest, if not months later. Summer 2023 is my guess. You can lease another car for 2 or 3 years or try Car by Volvo for a year.

I hope not 2023. That's too long. Polestar needs a big seller and SUVs are hot now. They really only have the Polestar 2 as their only volume seller now. And the XC90 was supposed to be shown this year. I don't think Volvo should wait until 2023 to sell it and I expect it to be shown later this year, or leaked later this year or early next year.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I desperately hope it's an SUV with a real storage area and not a goofy sloped back (a la 'coupe' SUVs). I thought the vehicle looked CMA based but I'm not a pro at all. Excited to see what the electric XC90 turns out to be.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I hope not 2023. That's too long. Polestar needs a big seller and SUVs are hot now. They really only have the Polestar 2 as their only volume seller now. And the XC90 was supposed to be shown this year. I don't think Volvo should wait until 2023 to sell it and I expect it to be shown later this year, or leaked later this year or early next year.
XC90 is delayed, to come 2022 Summer as MY2023. Maybe I mistook. P*3 could be similar time frame or months later.

Crossover EV is the hottest market today. But P* has to follow Volvo's platform.They are not ready to use Geely's SEA platform for next less expensive model. I hope they do have a plan for this though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My "guess" from the silhouette of the polestar 3, it looks more like sloped fastback/ hatchback style. Which seems to be more inline with polestar being the more sporty brand, and Volvo the more family oriented.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah I'm coming to terms with the fact that me and maybe 2 other people in the world are interested in a non-sloped back SUV... I think Rivian is the only company with a conventional-shape EV SUV in the works. I do hope this new model goes well and adoption meets what P* expects. I also hope they eventually build what I want :p

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah I'm coming to terms with the fact that me and maybe 2 other people in the world are interested in a non-sloped back SUV... I think Rivian is the only company with a conventional-shape EV SUV in the works. I do hope this new model goes well and adoption meets what P* expects. I also hope they eventually build what I want :p
Well you can count me in as 3. I have a family, and if the EV XC90 can't come in at same price range as Rivian. I maybe looking at Rivian. Maybe even my old brand Lexus, might have a 3 row EV in next few years.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Plug-in XC90 is good enough for me.. adding a larger XC100 type that is all electric would add a lot more buyers than just making the XC90 all-electric, in my opinion. That said, I don't see how an all-electric XC90 would hurt. I would have considered it if it was available today. The trouble with larger family cars like this being all electric is the longer trips and the (often times) lack of charging available at your destination. For that reason, a hybrid seems like the best solution. An all-electric version seems like it needs better infrastructure.. and frankly, more techs that can work on these cars. We are in a heavily populated area and there are very few Volvo mechanics that can even work on the T8. Getting the T8 tech number up and then re-training for an all-electric will take years.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The trouble with larger family cars like this being all electric is the longer trips and the (often times) lack of charging available at your destination. For that reason, a hybrid seems like the best solution. An all-electric version seems like it needs better infrastructure..
Not just at destination, but also along the way. Large family road-tripper, relying on recharging infrastructure?

Honestly XC90 EV is probably forward-leaning enough for this decade. I could see XC100 (supposedly EV only) getting pushed to 2030.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not just at destination, but also along the way. Large family road-tripper, relying on recharging infrastructure?

Honestly XC90 EV is probably forward-leaning enough for this decade. I could see XC100 (supposedly EV only) getting pushed to 2030.
After planning hypothetical trips using A Better Route planner app, charging infrastructure isn't as bad as i once thought; sometimes only requiring a 20 min. charge at a CCS station in Walmart, while on the road. While we in the US haven't developed charging stations to the likes of Norway yet, I think coupled with many hotels that have lvl 2 charging available, Iam definitely contemplating trading in my T8 for XC90 EV in a few years. Still not as convenient or quick as
dino power, but EV infrastructure is only going to get better.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I actually think XC100 EV is more important as it is the flagship. Also the market target is for people with that much money to spare. They want to be wowed with a fast full size luxury vehicle. The preorders for Rivian shows the market is indeed real.

XC90 EV is more likely for family people whose budget is more on the conservative side.

Reactions: T8 or not T8

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I actually think XC100 EV is more important as it is the flagship. Also the market target is for people with that much money to spare. They want to be wowed with a fast full size luxury vehicle. The preorders for Rivian shows the market is indeed real.

XC90 EV is more likely for family people whose budget is more on the conservative side.

What is the decisive criteria for a flagship vehicle for any luxury brand?

0. Marketing says so;
1. Most number of passengers and cargo area;
2. Most utility and cargo space;
3. Highest towing capacity and highest torque;
4. Highest horsepower and 0-60 mph time;
5. Highest price tag for all brand models;
6. Sales says so;
7. Industry aficionados say so.

The XC90 has earned its status as Volvo’s flagship based on every criteria above. It is not really a budget vehicle, but it has the greatest utility in its class.

FWIW, the XC100 just seems to be more of a specialty vehicle than flagship vehicle. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Any lessons learned from XC90 Excellence that Volvo might consider re: XC100?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Any lessons learned from XC90 Excellence that Volvo might consider re: XC100?
Two things, that I learned, for Volvo to consider are:
1. Offer the [Excellence] $20K factory discount as a credit to the early adopters of MY16 XC90 T8 (offsetting an accelerated and immediate 38% depreciation) - still a burr under my saddle, and
2. Don’t create marketing campaigns wholly-centered around what seemed to be for prima-donnas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
165 Posts
Simplistic, maybe, but my reason for liking EV or XC100 offering - I think we will need a car larger than an XC90. If there was such an offering available today from Volvo, we probably would have purchased it instead of our XC90. I have several friends/families who asked about the XC90 but passed in favor of a GLS due to the small third row. The only other luxury alternative is RR with a price tag almost $30k higher. If I can pay that same $30k to get a car brand I like and EV, that is attractive to me. In a perfect world the XC100 would be PHEV so that our longer trips are covered and the XC90 would be all electric for the short to mid range trips which make more efficient use of the smaller sized vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Sign me up too. I'm all about the "utility" that is part of SUV and the boxier the better. I am really digging the new Land Rover Defender except the fact that it's, well, a Land Rover.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Personally, I'd consider an all electric vehicle if they can improve range to 1000miles in a single charge in winter

Then it would be worth it for me. Otherwise, my super ideal vehicle is a 3L/4L bi-turbo diesel plug in hybrid with 90L/100L fuel tank.

But I know they won't produce such a car for me

Sent from my DUB-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Meanwhile the lifetime average with my driving habits is 50.2 mpg over 12,000 miles with my T8. Love it!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts